Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED - Intel Iris Xe Graphics

scarfoj
Beginner

I am repeatedly getting the error message DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED when playing Command and Conquer Remastered. This is not a terribly graphics intensive game, and should be well within the capabilities of my machine. Here are the specs:

HP Spectre x360 

11th Gen Intel Core i7 1165G7 2.80 GHZ

16GB Ram

Iris Xe graphics

The game runs flawlessly with no framerate issues or other performance problems, until it crashes. It generally crashes when loading a game, hitting "esc" to summon a menu, or any other pause or transitory state in gameplay. 

The error message is "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED"

I've tried every solution presented online, including registry edits, manually reducing performance in the intel graphics app, multiple driver updates/rollbacks, and a fresh installation of windows. I'm at my wits end. 

0 Kudos
35 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @scarfoj

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

1- Did the system work fine before or are you experiencing this issue since the first day that you have the computer?

2- If this worked fine before at any moment, were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (for instance, Windows®, driver, or game updates?)

3- Just to make sure, is this only happening with the "Command & Conquer Remastered" game? Are other games performing without issues?

4- Are you currently running a clean/fresh install of the operating system (OS) after testing by modifying the Windows* Registry?

5- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
scarfoj
Beginner

1. Yes, and it has been happening ever since the first time I installed the program. 

2. I made no changes to the machine, except after the issue began. I began attempting different video drivers to solve the problem, with no luck.

3. This is the only game I own on this machine. I have had no problems with anything else, including my CAD software and heavy browser activity. 

4.  Yes. I just received and used a boot USB to do a clean install of Windows 10. 

5.  Attached. 

0 Kudos
Shaq
Novice

I'm also having the same issues. I have almost the exact same specs as the original poser, except I have an HP all-in-one desktop. I get the exact same notice. I followed the steps in the reply from @AndrewG_Intel. Nothing changed

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello scarfoj

Thank you for your response.

Based on the Intel® SSU, we noticed that the system is running graphics driver version 27.20.100.9079, which seems to be the latest customized driver provided by the computer manufacturer (OEM) HP* as per their website: Software and drivers for HP Spectre x360 14 Convertible PC 14-ea0000*.

We have released a new generic driver and we would like to recommend trying this driver following the steps below for a Clean Installation:

1- Download the latest driver update .exe file from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics Driver Version: 27.20.100.9466 (Latest).

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager.

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics or similar, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded .exe file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the installation is unsuccessful with the .exe file, try installing the driver using the .zip file:

1- Download from the same link on Download Center and save the .zip file (igfx_win10_100.9466.zip) on the computer.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Follow the previous steps 5-7 above until the driver in the Device Manager displays as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Go to where the .zip file is saved and unzip it.

4- Right-click the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

5- Select Update driver.

6- Click Browse my computer for driver software.

7- Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

8- Click Have Disk.

9- Click Browse. Select the location where the driver files are located.

10- Click Next. Drivers are being installed.

11- Reboot the computer when prompted.

If the behavior persists, please provide a new Intel® SSU report and details of the outcome/behavior.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
scarfoj
Beginner

I was successful in the steps outlined, and have installed this driver. The problem persists, but this time i was able to get through more gameplay before the crash randomly occurred. 

Attached is the SSU file. 

0 Kudos
Shaq
Novice

Mine too did seem to go longer into the game than it was previously. My main problem is it will play for a bit, and then crash. Sometimes it happens within minutes, sometimes I might go 10 minutes into the game before it gives me the DXGI_ERROR

0 Kudos
Shaq
Novice

Have you found a solution to this problem? I have the same specs, only on an HP all-in-one desktop. I have a Lenovo laptop that didn't have any of these issues, and it's 5th gen dual-core. I didn't think this game would have problems with the iRIS

0 Kudos
scarfoj
Beginner

I have not. Interesting to hear that your core i5 system was able to run it without issue. I would think that a PC with these specs should have no issues with it, and like I said, when it works, it works perfectly. I've adjusted as many video settings within the game (resolution, vsync, etc.) and they have no impact. 

0 Kudos
PIERO87
Beginner

no solutions here?? i think this is a game developer problem. mainly nividea based games get this error on intel graphics.  

0 Kudos
Shaq
Novice

I might agree, however, as I said, I have a laptop that was issued to me by my school, and it's also intel. 2.80 mhz, earlier generation and all that, and I had no problems with this exact game, except for the occasional slow down on more powerful games. 

0 Kudos
Stecat94
Novice

Error message 

0 Kudos
Stecat94
Novice

Mass Effect Andromeda (by EA) has the same problem. NOT game specific.

0 Kudos
Stecat94
Novice

After some digging, I found that over-heating MIGHT be one cause of this problem. Still testing.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello all

Thank you very much for your responses and feedback. Please allow us to check this further and as soon as we have more details available we will be posting back in the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Shaq
Novice

Thank you! I look forward to more information.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello all

We would like to inform you that we are working on this and trying to replicate the behavior in our lab. We will be providing more details once they are available. We appreciate your patience and time in this matter.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Shaq
Novice

Thank you. If it helps, at least with me, when I start up the game (which lets you choose two different games), in the campaign mode for the Red Alert, I can play the first mission or two, and after that, I'll load up, play a few minutes, and that's when I get the DXGI_ERROR. If I play multiplayer, it only works for a few minutes and it crashes. Prior to crashing the game works pretty smooth, but that lasts at most 5 to 10 minutes.

0 Kudos
Shaq
Novice

I don't know if this will help but here are some screen shots of the error and their messges and the Dxdiag

dump_file_sent.png

Petrogly_error.png

The Petroglyph message behind the front one says the exact same thing.

0 Kudos
SjaakW
Beginner

Any news yet?

Got the same problem. Would love to play to be able to finish a game!

0 Kudos
PIERO87
Beginner

I managed to fix my problem by fiddling with group policy and component services🤔

but as soon as you change in game resolution then it picks up device remove error 

and only on the two games that are nvidia base on my pc Control Ultimate Edition and DYING LIGHT... all my other games run smooth.

0 Kudos