Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Dell G3223Q loses signal from laptop for some seconds.

ManosK
Beginner

Hi,

I have a 2018 Mi Notebook Pro with Intel 8550U processor and UHD 620/MX150 GPU's.

I bought 3 days ago a new Dell 32" UHD Monitor: G3223Q.

Since the first moment I face an issue with the monitor that loses the signal from the laptop and that usually happens for 4-6 seconds. My laptop's HDMI port is v1.4 and also I am using a new satechi usb-c hub with HDMI output. The issue is seen with both HDMI ports

I have tried also with 3 different HDMI cables from which the 2 are v2.1 because I also use my PS5 console with the same monitor and there I don't face this issue at all.

I have performed also clean installation of the latest Intel and Nvidia drivers but the issue is still seen. From the monitor I also have enabled the legacy 2.x EDID feature according to DELL's article:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-au/000197173/g3223q-losses-video-when-connected-to-intel-chipset-computers-when-playing-dvds-or-blu-rays

but still the issue happens a lot.

I am attaching the SSU report as well as the report from the Intel Command Center application.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @ManosK

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please confirm the following details?

1- Just to make sure we understand correctly, does the issue occurs in the following two scenarios?

• Using a straight-through connection from the laptop's HDMI® 1.4 port to Dell monitor HDMI input with a single HDMI-to-HDMI cable >> Issue occurs.
  • Using a Satechi USB-C Hub and connecting from the HDMI® output on the hub to the HDMI® input on the Dell monitor >> Issue occurs?

Are both statements correct?

2- Based on the technical specifications for DELL* monitor G3223Q, it comes with 2 x HDMI (ver 2.1) ports and 1 x DP (ver 1.4). Does the behavior occur on both HDMI® ports?

Also, are you able to test using the DisplayPort (DP) input? Is the behavior the same?

3- Checking the link that you shared G3223Q Losses Video When Connected To Intel Chipset Computers When Playing DVDs or Blu Rays, is this the exact/same scenario for you? Do you experience this issue when you're playing a DVD/Blu-Ray? (either on a built-in DVD/Blu-Ray player or on an external player?)

4- Does the behavior occur if you try different/lower resolutions and refresh rates?

5- Checking the information you provided, our understanding is that this is a laptop manufactured by Xiaomi*. Do you also experience this issue using the customized graphics drivers provided by Xiaomi?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ManosK
Beginner

Hi Andrew, me replies are inline

1- Just to make sure we understand correctly, does the issue occurs in the following two scenarios?

• Using a straight-through connection from the laptop's HDMI® 1.4 port to Dell monitor HDMI input with a single HDMI-to-HDMI cable >> Issue occurs.
  • Using a Satechi USB-C Hub and connecting from the HDMI® output on the hub to the HDMI® input on the Dell monitor >> Issue occurs?

Are both statements correct?

Manos: Yes this happens on both scenarios with 2 different HDMI cables and also tried on both HDMI ports of the monitor.

2- Based on the technical specifications for DELL* monitor G3223Q, it comes with 2 x HDMI (ver 2.1) ports and 1 x DP (ver 1.4). Does the behavior occur on both HDMI® ports?

Also, are you able to test using the DisplayPort (DP) input? Is the behavior the same?

Manos: Yes it happens on both HDMI ports but for DP I cannot unfortunately test it since my laptop does not have such a port.

Also from command center I see that when I use the usb-c hub's HDMI port the input is displayed as DisplayPort and not HDMI.

3- Checking the link that you shared G3223Q Losses Video When Connected To Intel Chipset Computers When Playing DVDs or Blu Rays, is this the exact/same scenario for you? Do you experience this issue when you're playing a DVD/Blu-Ray? (either on a built-in DVD/Blu-Ray player or on an external player?)

Manos: Unfortunately this happens to me even by trying to maximize/minimize a chrome window. I am not using dvd/blu-ray external drives at all.

4- Does the behavior occur if you try different/lower resolutions and refresh rates?

Manos: Yes I have tried to lower the resolution to 2.5K but still happened. 

5- Checking the information you provided, our understanding is that this is a laptop manufactured by Xiaomi*. Do you also experience this issue using the customized graphics drivers provided by Xiaomi?

Manos: Yes when I connected my laptop for the first time I had the latest OEM driver installed by Xiaomi which is very old. Now I am using latest Intel beta drivers but still same issue appears.

You can see on this video my issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mMnZ9n9Szy7_irzjbI3Si7yQzjVwpDtz/view?usp=sharing 

0 Kudos
ManosK
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

I am doing now some tests with different configurations and I see now that after disabling completely Smart HDR from my monitor I don't have this signal loss issue.

Br,

Manos

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ManosK

Thank you for your response, for the video, and for all the details.

We understand the "signal loss issue" stops when the "Smart HDR" option is disabled on the monitor. We have some suggestions for you to see if this could be related to this feature or related to a software/hardware problem.

Please re-enable the "Smart HDR" feature and go through the following steps:

1- Install the latest Dell G3223Q Monitor Driver (a.k.a. INF files), Version A00-00, A00-00.

2- Make sure the operating system (OS) is up to date and install any pending updates. You may refer to this link: Update Windows*.

3- From your first post, we can see you tried "clean driver installations". Just to make sure, are the steps in this article the ones that you tried? Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers in Windows*

If you haven't tried this yet, we recommend performing the clean install using first the latest customized OEM driver from your OEM. Consult with Xiaomi Support for the recommended driver.

And, as a second option, you can try the clean install process using the latest generic Intel DCH Driver, Version 30.0.101.1660.

4- Check with Xiaomi Support if there are BIOS updates available for your system that may help with this issue (.e.g: a fix for compatibility, or stability/performance improvements).

Please let us know the outcome of the steps and if the issue persists, kindly provide us with the following details:

a- From the Graphics Report you provided, it seemed there was another monitor connected to the computer >> Dell* U2518D.

Checking its User’s Guide it seems this monitor also has the Smart HDR feature.

If you connect the computer only to this monitor (single monitor configuration) with a straight-through connection HDMI-to-HDMI with a single cable (neither using the USB-C hub nor adapters) and using the same HDMI® cables, does it work fine or do you have the same "signal loss issue"?

b- Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) are fine.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

c- Besides the Chrome* browser, does the issue occur with any other specific apps? Or does it happen regardless of the app being used or even on the Windows* desktop?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ManosK

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello ManosK

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos