Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Dell xps 9350 black screen after Intel driver update

Ivh
Beginner
Hi,
First of all, I'm highly dependent on this laptop for work and study. Unfortunately, it became unusable a couple days ago. Some things that happened the day before the screen turned black:
- Windows update to 20H2 (19042.746) (feature exp pack 120.2212.551.0).
- Driver update to DC drivers through the official Intel driver and support assistant (replaced the graphics control software with the new command center).

The morning after, the display went black.

When the display does work: during boot, in safe mode and using the generic Microsoft drivers.

What I tried:

Installing official Dell drivers thought their website: 21.20.16.4664 (A10), 26.20.100.7986 (A15) ==> black screen during install

Last Intel DCH drivers installed though Intel driver and support assistant ==> black screen.

Uninstalling display drivers using DDU software.

System repairs

Multiple system restores to points in time the pc worked fine.

Luckily I can control / troubleshoot my xps using remote desktop software, so I can perform recommended repairs.

System information:

Dell xps 9350
i7-6560U
Windows 20H2 (19042.746)
Latest bios
All drivers up to date using Dell support assist

SSU file generated with latest official Dell drivers installed (26.20.100.7986 (A15)) as attachment.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ivh, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

It seems the problem is not related to the Intel graphics drivers, since you tested the Dell drivers and they also showed the same behavior, chances are the problem may be at the Operating System (OS) level. I will recommend you to try the following: 

1. Have you checked if this issue happens with an external monitor as well?  

2. Try a clean installation of the graphics drivers from Intel's and Dell's site: 

1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer. 

2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 

3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Command Center from Control Panel Programs and Features

4. Restart the computer. 

5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 

6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager

1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
  2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
  3. Click on 'Uninstall'. 
  4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 

7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded in step 1. 

8. Restart the computer. 

9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

3. On the above-mentioned link, you may find all the needed drivers for your PC, make sure you update them all. 

4. You may try reinstalling the OS completely from scratch: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh  

5. If the above does not work, I will recommend you to contact Dell for additional help with your computer.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel or any of its products is implied. 

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ivh,  

Were you able to check our previous recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Ivh,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
Ivh
Beginner

Hi!

I did try your fix before you posted it, but that didn't work either.

In the end I had to reinstall windows, which did not fix it either. Then, a couple days later, the drivers magically started working again. And have been fine ever since.

0 Kudos