Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Desktop windows manager uses a lot of ram

Hossain_Aryan65
New Contributor I

Hello! I just recently updated my graphics driver to the latest version. However, a service named "Desktop Window Manager" eats a lot of ram. Please see the below screenshot for more details. Windows version is 20H2 and driver version is 30.100.9864.

Hossain_Aryan65_0-1632422491699.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hossain_Aryan65
New Contributor I
Hello! It seems that there is an issue with the 30.0.100.9864 and 30.0.100.9894 driver version. After updating my display drivers, the DWM(desktop window manager) consumed a lot of ram. Yesterday, I downgraded my driver's to an older one and now it is gone. It uses less resources. Probably it is a problem with the drivers itself. I don't know if I am the only one facing it but if there are others, please downgrade your drivers to an older version according to your needs and specifications. Thank you❤️

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Hossain_Aryan65
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Hossain_Aryan65
New Contributor I
Hello! It seems that there is an issue with the 30.0.100.9864 and 30.0.100.9894 driver version. After updating my display drivers, the DWM(desktop window manager) consumed a lot of ram. Yesterday, I downgraded my driver's to an older one and now it is gone. It uses less resources. Probably it is a problem with the drivers itself. I don't know if I am the only one facing it but if there are others, please downgrade your drivers to an older version according to your needs and specifications. Thank you❤️
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You did not follow my instructions.  Try again.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Hossain_Aryan65
New Contributor I
Can you again repeat the process? What do you mean by "Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]"?
0 Kudos
zlatan1962
Beginner

i have the same issue. I can't downgraded my graphic driver. but when i restart my pc, desktop windows manager don't use a huge amount of memory.

0 Kudos
Hossain_Aryan65
New Contributor I

Hello!! Well there is a better driver version (26.0.100.7985). Please check it in the internet (I might forget). This driver version provides the most stable performance and also uses less memory (only 4%). You can give it a try. Hope it helped you. I am expecting that intel finds a solution quickly....

0 Kudos
zlatan1962
Beginner
0 Kudos