Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20596 Discussions

Display Quantization Setting for Intel UHD Graphics 620

rgord1
Novice

Intel NUC8v5PNK with latest Bios version 0037 and Intel UHD Graphics 620 graphics drivers versions 7324 (from Intel NUC 8 Pro Kit NUC8v5PNK single download Last updated 6/26/2020) and 8141 (my understanding from Microsoft Update). The NUC displays the same behaviour with both drivers.

The Intel Graphics Command Center has a setting for full quantization under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center for a NUC6i5SYH (Intel® Iris® Graphics 540). NUC7i5BNH (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640) and a NUC7PJYH (Intel® UHD Graphics 605). Setting the quantization to full under the Display tab is necessary for full PC 0-255 RGB Output. It is not sufficient to rely in the full setting under the Video tab.

There is no place under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center to set full quantization RGB Output level (PC 0-255) for Intel UHD Graphics 620 and it appears that the driver detects a TV and sets RGB Output level to TV (16-225). This results in a washed out display through HDMI.

Simiarly there is no place under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Control Panel to set full quantization RGB Output level (PC 0-255). From this I conclude (right or wrong) that the issue lies in the drivers for Intel UHD Graphics 620 rather than the Command Center or Control Panel.

Is the inability to set full quantization RGB Output level under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center for Intel UHD Graphics 620 by design or is it intended to be rectified in any upcoming graphics drivers or Command Center software?

Alternatively is there some other way to ensure full quantization RGB Output level (PC 0-255) to the display for Intel UHD Graphics 620 in the NUC8v5PNK?

From everything I have read Intel UHD Graphics 620 is definitely capable of full quantization RGB Output.

0 Kudos
51 Replies
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi rgord1

Is there any particular reason why the system is not updated to the latest BIOS version 0039: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29886/BIOS-Update-PNWHL57v-?product=199078 ? I see that you are running BIOS version 0037.

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Hi Ronny,

As I noted in my previous post "Coincidentally I noted that a new bios update 39 was offered at the time I ran the tests, but after applying that update, there was no change to the split screen behaviour."

I tend to rely on the Intel Driver and Support Assistant to indicate whether or not drivers are up to date. I noticed an update was available as I was running the graphics tests.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

I just mentioned BIOS version 0039 because all my attempts to replicate this issue are running the latest BIOS version.  

On the other hand, The Quantization Range option determines the number of distinct colors used in an image to match the original image. The effect of this change varies based on the capabilities of the display.

I have tested this option on several NUCs including NUC8v5PNK and I don't have the split-screen situation, I believe this behavior may be related to the display being used. 

Regards,

Ronny G

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Hi Ronnie,

As I indicated in my initial post I am able to set full quantization under the Display tab of the Intel Graphics Command Center for a NUC6i5SYH (Intel® Iris® Graphics 540). NUC7i5BNH (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640) and a NUC7PJYH (Intel® UHD Graphics 605) with no problems whatsoever, or any instance of split screen behaviour when switching display rates, all while using the Sony KD49X9000E UHD TV as a monitor.

Only in the case of the NUC8v5PNK have I observed the split screen behaviour when connected to the Sony KD49X9000E UHD TV through HDMI Port 1. There is no split screen behaviour with the NUC8v5PNK when connected to the Sony KD49X9000E UHD TV through HDMI Port 2. It is perfectly normal.

That does not indicate to me an incompatibility with the display being used, rather a difference in the output characteristics between HDMI Ports 1 and 2 of the NUC8v5PNK.

My understanding is that the display quantization options are not available in the Intel Graphics Command Center or Intel Graphics Control Panel when the NUC8v5PNK is connected through HDMI Port 2, because HDMI2.0a output is non-native HDMI.

Output from HDMI Port 1 is clearly different because display quantization options are available in the Intel Graphics Command Center and Intel Graphics Control Panel. Does this mean that output from HDMI Port 1 is native HDMI? Is it still HDMI2.0a?

Regards

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

It's been two months since I posed these questions:

1. Is the output from HDMI Port 1 of the NUC8v5PNK native HDMI?
  2. Is it still HDMI2.0a?

Does anyone have answers to these questions, please?

Regards

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I can answer this one, @Sebastian_M_Intel (and @Ronny_G_Intel)...

The answers are yes and yes. From this snippet from Figure 3 (page 18) of the PN NUCs TPS,

n_scott_pearson_0-1605915793255.png

...you can see that the DisplayPort 1.2 signals on the SOC's DDI1 and DDI2 outputs are routed through LSPcon ICs that convert the signal to the HDMI 2.0a protocol. Only when a device that consumes the DisplayPort output (either via DisplayPort Alt mode or Thunderbolt 3) is plugged into the USB-C connector does the output of the HDMI #2 port get cut off. As well, as you can see, the EC can contribute the HPD, DDC and CEC output to HDMI #1 and CEC to HDMI #2.

Hope this covers it,

...S

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Thanks for that information. If I could prevail on your expertise with another question, the core of my original enquiry:

Is it possible to determine from your graphic why display quantization options are available in the Intel Graphics Command Center or Intel Graphics Control Panel when the NUC8v5PNK is connected through HDMI Port 1, but not when connected through HDMI Port 2?

My understanding from many posts in this forum is that HDMI2.0a output mediated through LPScon ICs are type displayport, and therefore non-native HDMI.

Regards

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, I am not an expert, per se, but I try...

If a graphics (DDI) lane in the processor is configured for HDMI output, you only get HDMI 1.4 support. Pretty crappy.

Good boards will configure for DisplayPort output and then use a LSPcon IC to upconvert the signal to HDMI 2.0a. [Aside: It can do this because Intel's DisplayPort implementation actually exceeds the DisplayPort 1.2 specification in some areas such that support for HDMI 2.0a is achievable.]

In the case of the PN NUC, you have two DDIs configured for DisplayPort and two LSPcon ICs to convert the signal to HDMI 2.0a. In theory, these should have the same capabilities. I don't understand (either) why you would lose the quantization capability. I will have to ask my graphics guru for an explanation (too bad we've hit the weekend; I may not be able to get an answer from him until Monday).

No your last question: no. While it is DisplayPort at the processor, it is HDMI 2.0a at the external ports. If they are implying with this moniker that there is something 'off' about the signal, I have never heard this before.

...S

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Thanks again.

If your graphics guru can shed light on why there is no display quantization capability from the the NUC8v5PNK when connected through HDMI Port 2, that would be much appreciated.

I take your point about HDMI 2.0a output at the external ports; I should have clarified to explain that I was referring to reports from both the Intel Graphics Command Center and the Intel Graphics Control Panel which under the heading "Digital Display" state "Connector Type: DisplayPort". While output is definitely HDMI, it is referred to by Intel as "non-native" and their position has been that there is no display quantization capability with such output. I have been trying to persuade them to rectify this, as have many other users on this forum.

Given that HDMI 2.0a output mediated by LPScon ICs are, to my knowledge, non-native HDMI, it would appear that this is the reason that there is no display quantization capability from the the NUC8v5PNK when connected through HDMI Port 2.

As there is clearly display quantization capability from the the NUC8v5PNK when connected through HDMI Port 1, my conclusion (right or wrong) is that output from that port is native HDMI. As you say, possibly HDMI 1.4, because in testing I have done I could not see any HDR capability with output from this port.

One thing is for sure. The output from the two HDMI ports of the NUC8v5PNK are completely different.

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi rgord1,

I just sent you an email with a potential fix for this issue.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Thanks Ronny but that email has not been received.

Could you please re-send it?

Regards

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

A year on and I am seeing the same split screen behaviour on a 2021 Samsung neo QLED TV when connected via HDMI port 1.

There have been a number of publicly released bios updates since I first reported this behaviour, now at bios version 42, none of which have resolved the issue.

Intel responded a year or so ago "...this behavior may be related to the display being used. " The evidence would suggest that it is not related specifically to the TV in use at that time.

I do not see the behaviour from this NUC when connected to an older Samsung 2K TV. I conclude that the behaviour manifests itself when connected via HDMI port 1 to 4K capable TVs.

To reiterate, the behaviour is not observed when the NUC is connected to 4K TVs via HDMI port 2.

I would be grateful if Intel could test this NUC with 4K TVs to establish whether or not they can replicate this behaviour.

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello rgord1,   

Thank you very much for the detailed reports.

Let us review this behavior internally, as soon as we have an update we will post it on this thread.

Regards,   

Sebastian M   

Intel Customer Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello rgord1, 

Thank you for your reply. 

We sent you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile on 12/10/2020.  

I will send you a private message so we can confirm this e-mail address, can you please double-check the spam folder in the meantime?  

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Thanks Sebastian. I have replied to the private message confirming my email, and provided an alternative email address for cc.

I know that email is registered at Intel because I receive alerts at that address about new posts in the forum.

I did check my spam folder. Ronny's email message was just not received.

Regards

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello rgord1,  

Thanks for the update. 

I just try sending the e-mail again. Please let me know if you received it.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Hi Sebastian.

I received the email in the alternative email address I supplied, not my main address as specified in my Intel profile.

My guess, maybe the email sent to my main address was blocked because of the attachment.

Never mind, I have it now. I have looked at the instructions, and it will be some time before I can get the NUC out to do the firmware update.

In the meantime can you please advise if the firmware update will change the output characteristics of HDMI Port 1 (farthest from the charging port)? Also, is the firmware update irreversible i.e. if it messes with HDMI Port 1 will my NUC then be unusable?

Thanks for following up on this issue.

Regards

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello rgord1,   

Thank you for your reply. 

As the file you mentioned has not been released, there are no details publicly available. 

Please let me review the information with the team in charge, once we have an update we will let you know.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi rgord1,

The test HDMI FW that we provided you with should not affect other system functionality, it is intended to mitigate compatibility issues with some monitor models when running 4K in 23p/24p.

We are providing this FW for your convenience only, support for it is very limited and we have no plans to make it available to other customers because it may generate compatibility issues with the most popular displays.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

Thanks Ronny.

I have decided to hold off on applying the FW patch, because I do not have any information on what, if any, effect it may have on output from HDMI Port 2. Output from HDMI Port 2 is at least consistent in terms of color balance and general video performance with other NUCs that I have configured as HTPCs.

The color balance from HDMI Port 1, on the other hand, is quite different, and even if the patch fixed the split screen behaviour it might not fix the color balance.

I will  wait for a publicly available bios update that *might* fix the color balance out of HDMI Port 1, and possibly the split screen behaviour as well.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ronny_G_Intel

Hi rgord1,

Thanks for letting me know, I have provided you with all information I have available regarding this particular concern and also with a potential fix (to be tested).

I will be closing this case for now but please feel free to open a new community post if you need assistance.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos