Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Display Quantization Still NOT available for DP! Content creators are left in the grey...

Nees
Novice

Hi,

I would like to raise this awareness again for something that seems to drag on for years.

Today I became a victim of this "bug"/limitation.

You might have thought "in the grey"? Shouldnt it be "in the dark"? Well, this is the whole problem, we don't get to work with correct black levels and are stuck to grey as black and washed out colors and contrast.

As photographer, I have a creator laptop with an amazing 4K laptopscreen with calibrated colors.

While this is amazing to work on on location, at home, a bigger screen would be helpful as I'm getting more and more work.

So I bought a calibrated 4K display for sRGB work, I connect it and notice, something is off, the colors look washed out. So I start to dig on the problem and do some tests.

On several topics, I read that in the past, nd old driver allowed Full Range Quantization on HDMI and DP and read that now only HDMI is supported and removed since the XX.XX.100.XX drivers. So, this is where the confusion starts. My laptop has an HDMI-port and its connected to the external monitor that way. But... it seems that MSI has put in a HDMI port that internally is connected to a DP port!!! So I am officially screwed. (screenshot added). Sadly, this old driver is not compatible with this Intel iGPU so cannot "force" the install. (I tried )

I started reading more and now this seems to be a topic many people have brought up: 

Driver issue: Full Quantization Range (0-255) not available with Displayport to HDMI adapter - Intel Communities

Full RGB quantization range over Displayport - the issue is still here after 2 years - Intel Communities 

Cannot get full RGB quantization range over native DisplayPort on HD 630 integrated graphics - Intel Communities

External topics:

Laptop with Intel iGPU & NVIDIA dGPU outputing to HDMI through iGPU : can't have full range RGB - Displays - Linus Tech Tips

Monitor washed out colors with HDMI Thunderbolt 4 USB C (no Full Range RGB) on Intel CPU & iGPU Arch Gnome Wayland : archlinux (reddit.com)

@MGill2 @TKody @dimedrol 

And there is more to find...

I don't think you understand that as a Photographer this is incredible important to have full range and buying this new display is now a big paperweight and editing on the external monitor is now impossible.

Please intel, look at this subject! Offer a possibilty to force it, even if it's beta, a registry tweak... SOMETHING! Or am I forced to buy a new laptop? Waste of money, this one is less than 2 years old and costed 2000euro... Or be stuck for some years to work on this smaller screen at home?

So many new laptops are not using HDMI anymore, you might even need an external USB-C hub...

I hope something will be out SOON! And I can start using my screen. On several topics the answer is that developers are looking at "adding it again", but 2 years later still nothing with technology advancing? I keep my hopes up and in the meantime, I'm going to store my display away sadly...

Kind Regards,

Nees

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nees
Novice

Just tagging those from intel who have been active in the old topics... As i think they has been forgotten...

@idata @RonaldM_Intel 

Hope you inform and check into this better!

0 Kudos
Nees
Novice

I've been messing around with some registry tweaks I found, but still nothing can make full RGB work.

I hope some feedback on the issue will come up...

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Nees,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We will research the information and as soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Nees
Novice

Thank you Steven, I hope positive feedback will come back!

Sorry if my frustrations came trough, but in these days of technology, I did not expect such strange limitations anymore, especially when you spend 2K on a laptop...

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello Nees,

In order to continue, please provide the following information:

Open the application and select "Everything", click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". Please attach the file to your reply.

• On Windows, look for the Intel® Graphics Command Center > Go to Support > Click on System Diagnostic > Click on Generate report > Save the report as a .txt file and attach it to your reply. (Please make sure the 4K display is connected while gathering the report).

As well, the HDMI is being detected as DisplayPort because some Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) use a chip called LS-PCON, which is basically a converter. Some OEM boards use DP internally and HDMI externally, so the converter allows using HDMI which means more bandwidth for higher resolutions, but the main root protocol comes in DP. You can get more details about this with the board manufacturer.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos