Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Does underclocking an i7 3770K CPU negatively affect graphics function?

idata
Employee

I am considering building an HTPC which can also be used for gaming. To be energy efficient, I envision a default under-clocked profile to run the OS and perform HTPC functions: movies, tv, etc. However, if I want to play a demanding game, I would change the profile to normal and take full advantage of the CPU processing power. My question is would I be able to carry out normal HTPC functions such as running Windows Media Center, watching HD video such as Blu rays or DVDs or viewing/recording t.v. with the embedded graphics of an underclocked CPU? Does underclocking the CPU slow down the embedded graphics in this CPU, or is this relatively unaffected? Thanks in advance for considering my question.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

Underclocking the GFX core to a minimum safe limit via the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility™ yields neither a significant drop in power consumption or graphics capability. In a desktop use-case I would not suggest underclocking the CPU/GPU as our drivers (for desktop) are not designed with any power saving features in mind. It would be a wash as far as the negligible power saving vs. active desktop components are concerned.

-Nic

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Nic,

I noticed ASUS motherboards have software that will adjust power levels to reduce CPU power: http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/P8Z77_Series_Motherboards/page1_smartDIGI.htm SMART DIGI+

I just didn't know how that would affect graphics. From your answer, it doesn't seem like it will work as I am envisioning.

Thanks for your help,

John

0 Kudos