Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Dolphin Emulator Vulkan Crash

RNewm
Beginner

Hello,

I recently bought a device with an Intel Core m3-7y30 with Intel 615 graphics, and it would seem that the iGPU is incompatible with the Dolphin emulator when using Vulkan as the renderer under Windows.

The memory leak issue described in this thread doesn't seem to happen any more: but the program outright crashes when loading any game or homebrew.

I figured this may be worth trying to bring up again, as recently Dolphin started working with Vulkan on mobile Adreno graphics, which in the past have been more problematic than Intel graphics.

In terms of getting a sample program to load in Dolphin, I have found that this freely available, legal, GPL-licensed Starfield homebrew demonstrates the issue: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Starfield Starfield - WiiBrew

Under OpenGL and Direct3D 11, the Starfield demo seems to render correctly. Under Vulkan, Dolphin appears to completely crash. Developers of Dolphin seem to have indicated this is likely a driver problem.

I am on Windows 10 1803 64-bit with graphics driver version 24.20.100.6194.

I have confirmed that the Vulkan runtime is installed and functional on my system as other Vulkan programs run as intended.

In addition, when I booted Ubuntu 18.04 on this same device, Dolphin was able to run correctly using Vulkan as the renderer, indicating that hardware is compatible.

When Dolphin supported Direct3D 12, it ran much faster than under OpenGL or Direct3D 11 as expected, but since that is no longer an option in current builds, we need Vulkan to work to provide the same performance.

I can provide more logs and system information if required. I can also test drivers and configuration settings on an Intel Core i5-7200U w/620 graphics and an Intel Core i7-7700k w/630 graphics if that would help as well.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
RNewm
Beginner

Sorry, didn't see the recommended device info table when I first posted this.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Dolphin Emulator crashes when using the Vulkan backend on an Intel Graphics device

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

GPD Win 2

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

No

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

None

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

Attached

<td rowspan="4" style="border: 0px solid black; padding: 0 5.4pt 0 5.4pt; border-right: solid win...
0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi xperia64

I have some good news. This issue was picked up by our development team [bug ID 1806372893] and we already have a fix in place.

I actually tested this myself with our latest - internal only - driver and I was able to run the Starfield Demo with the Graphics Setting set for Vulkan (using Dolphin 5.0-8743).

By now the only thing left to do from our side is wait for the fix to be checked-in an upcoming 'Production version' driver release, so it becomes published in https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ downloadcenter.intel.com. The whole process might take some time since the entire driver release has to go through extensive testing, but rest assured that help is coming.

I'll be posting news and updates here as soon as they become available.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

RNewm
Beginner

Excellent!

I eagerly await the new driver.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello again xperia64

I am happy to report that the new graphics driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28180 25.20.100.6323 has the fix for this issue.

Can you please give it a try and let me know your results?

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
RNewm
Beginner

This graphics driver works great with what I have tested so far. The Vulkan backend is running as it should now.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello xperia64,

I understand that you are having problems with an emulator when rendering with Vulkan*.

Regarding this, I would like to start by requesting some information of your system. I would like you to provide me with an Intel ® System Support Utility report which can be created with our utility, you can download it by accessing the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Also, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

RNewm
Beginner

Hi, the timing seems to be a coincidence, but I posted the requested information right before your post yesterday. I just want to be sure it gets noticed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello xperia64,

Thank you for your response.

I will check the information and proceed with the replication of the problem if possible. Please allow me some time, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I would like to add that I have been experiencing a very similar issue with the same processor (an Intel Core m3-7y30 with Intel 615 graphics) in a device known as a GPD Win 2.

I reported this against Dolphin Emulator's own issue tracker around the same time, as xperia64 mentioned the developers believe this to be a driver issue.

Here are the main details from their issue tracker

https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/11320 https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/11320

• The crashing issue was reproduced using the Direct3D11 backend as opposed to Vulkan
  • With a debugging build of Dolphin running with a Visual Studio debugger, this crash was isolated:
    • igc64.pdb not loaded:
    • Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFC2AB311E8 (igc64.dll) in DolphinD.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000018.
  • No such crash occurred in Version 23.20.16.4944 / Build Date February 8, 2018, but this version does experience poor performance in scenarios that make use of shader compilation
  • This crash has been occurring since Version 24.20.100.6194 / Build Date July 10, 2018
  • This crash continues to occur in Version 24.20.100.6229 / Build Date August 7, 2018

I noticed in xperia64's DxDiag.txt report that igc64.pdb was also identified in a problem signature, which appears to point to the same shader compilation issue.

Recent developmental builds of Dolphin Emulator make use of a feature called "Ubershaders", and it's such builds that experience these crashes. The previous stable release (5.0) without Ubershaders will not experience this crash.

I've also noticed that depending on your Ubershader graphics configuration in these developmental builds, that Dolphin may not always crash but can still be prone to very poor performance.

If you need any further details regarding my own device I am happy to provide them per the Intel System Support Utility at a later time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello xperia64,

Thank you for your patience.

We have been working to reproduce the issue you are currently experiencing, I apologize for the delay but we will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Hello RupeeClock,

We will be taking the information you have provided into consideration, thank you for reporting this to us.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello xperia64,

Thank you for your patience.

I finished with the testings and I have been able to replicate the problem. When using Vulkan with the latest (Developer) version, the emulator crashes. Upon review of the steps followed and what has been used, I can tell that the problem is not really the driver or graphics adapter but the version that is being used.

To explain myself better, the versions that have Vulkan are versions that are "developer" versions, meaning that they have not been tested thoroughly and there may be problems, bugs, etc. I also tested the latest stable version and, when trying with the different backend there was no issue and no crash.

My recommendation now, is for you to use the latest stable version and wait to see if there is a new stable version released. I apologize if this is not the answer you were expecting, but that is the conclusion. I tried my best to find a suitable solution for you but for starters, emulators are beyond our scope of support, I wanted to go further to help but was unable to find a solution from our end.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello xperia64,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
RNewm
Beginner

I agree that this is not a hardware issue, and I appreciate you looking into this.

I still believe this is a driver-related problem as every other Vulkan platform I'm aware of will at least start with this application (including the same device under Linux), but we can agree to disagree. The other backends do still seem to work correctly at the moment, albeit slower than if Vulkan was an option.

It is also be worth noting that there will be no "stable" version of Dolphin for at least a year or two.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello xperia64,

Thank you for your response.

What I am going to do now is to check and see if there is anything else we can try in order to find an alternative for the problem, nevertheless, I cannot promise anything yet. Please allow me some time, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos