Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Driver Crashing With Chrome Browser (Error 4101)

MJone10
New Contributor I

On a clean install, with latest driver, my screen goes black momentarily while using Google Chrome.

Event viewer gives the following info:

Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Event ID 4101

New drivers seem to be crashing a lot (almost daily in my case) did not have this issue with older drivers.

1.png

2.png

0 Kudos
12 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MJone10, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter. 3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 4. Attach the report to this thread. Also, I would like to know if this behavior happens with other browsers as well or only Google* Chrome. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

Hi David, please find attached requested file.

I only use Chrome, so i haven't experienced this issue with other browsers.

Thanks

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MJone10, Thank you for your response. I would like you to try the following steps: 1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer. (Link below) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28566/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=98909 2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 3. Uninstall the DCH driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features. 4. Restart the computer. 5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'. 6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1. 8. Restart the computer. 9. Reconnect to the Internet. 10. Download the Intel Graphics Control Panel from the MS Store. Once the steps have been completed, please try using Google* Chrome again to see if the same error appears. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

Hi David, I followed your instructions for installing the driver but still have the same problem occurring.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MJone10, Thank you for your response. Just for testing purposes, I would recommend you to try re-installing the browser from scratch, fully uninstall it first from Programs & Features and then re-install it once more. Check to see if the issue persists. Has the screen gone black momentarily while doing anything else? Or does it only happen with the browser. Let me know please. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

Hi David,

I've done some more testing and still experience the same result even after reinstalling the browser.

The screen goes black momentarily only when using the browser, and if i check event viewer that's when i also see the error code i reported.

This issue happened after doing a clean install anyway, so it was present right from the start.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MJone10, Thank you for your response. Please just for testing purposes, try using the browser that comes with Windows* and try to do what you normally do in Google* Chrome, let me know if the black screen appears again. Also, please let me know what you normally do when the issue happens. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

Hi David,

I've been unable to replicate the issue in Edge, although, I don't use it very much so not sure how fair of a test it is.

The error seems to happen randomly while browsing, so it's not something I can easily replicate. But it does happen at least once a day.

Another thing I have noticed, is that when i disable "contrast enhancement" in the "image enhancement" options, this gets re-enabled automatically when I restart the machine. I then have to disable it again.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MJone10, Thank you for your response. I have been reviewing the information and also I have checked further into this error that you are getting and apparently it is something of a known issue with Microsoft*, there are several threads with people experiencing the same issue. Taking all this into consideration I would say it has to do with an Operating System corruption, which could be addressed re-installing it. If you do want to try this option, please check the link below and download the Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 * Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. * You will need a USB Flash drive, it is recommended to fully format it before starting the process of turning it into a bootable USB drive. Once it is bootable, please use that flash drive to install the freshly downloaded Windows* image. When done with the setup and all the updates, check to see if the error persists. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

OS corruption doesn't really make sense in my case as this happened to me after doing a clean install (not upgrade).

I tried reinstalling the drivers again using the method you previously mentioned, but now i can't open the control panel.

I get the following error (i only have 1 monitor connected to my computer)

"Unable to launch the application. None of the connected displays are using the Intel Graphics Driver."

There seems to be a lot of users complaining they can't open the app either on the download page (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-graphics-control-panel/9ndlclmmtmrc?activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab)

Is there any way to fix this issue?

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello MJone10, Thank you for your response. In order to open the graphics properties you need to download the control panel from the Microsoft* store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-graphics-control-panel/9ndlclmmtmrc?activetab=pivot:overviewtab Once downloaded you can try again to see if it is opened. I still believe the issue to be related to the O.S and not the graphics adapter, this is because there have been reports in the Microsoft* forums with different graphics adapters which don't have the same adapter. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
MJone10
New Contributor I

Hi David,

I did download the app from the Microsoft store but still experienced the same error when i tried to launch it.

Not sure why it's happening now, but there are lots of comments on the app store for the control panel app with users reporting similar issues. So you might want to take a look at that.

What I have done for now is to uninstall the drivers and app, and let Windows install the Intel driver automatically.

I haven't had any issues with the driver crashing, or opening the control panel. So the issue does seem to be driver related somehow. I'm also not having the issue of any settings resetting after reboot.

I'm happy for now as all is working properly. Thanks for looking into this.

0 Kudos