Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Driver failure (?) on lenovo PRX18 docking station.

UDipp
Beginner

This docking station as described here: https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/accessories/ACC100200

Is (was) supposed to work with Thinkpad 10, Helix 2. Most recent page update (scroll down) was done in 2015.

It seems that in the meantime, it has lost the ability to support Thinkpad 10, Helix 2. Reason: unknown (to me).

I have, however, fiddled with it throughout the last fortnight, and found a number of indicators that there could be a remedy. See

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Tablets/Thinkpad-10-and-Thinkpad-Dock-PRX18-HDMI-Not-Working/m-p/4373008#M35131

Towards the end of that thread, I describe that the driver seems to recognize all monitors properly, but somehow fails to be confident enough to actually put out a signal. Respectively gives up, while it actually works.

My question: Is it possible to retrieve a log that explains this shortcoming? One that shows the EDID of the monitor, whatever? Since type of the monitor and resolutions are identified correctly, there is no (currently explainable) reason why it should keep the screen black, respectively turn it off after some minutes of proper display activity.

And what would be the difference between that Samsung monitor and the Asus monitor?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello UDipp, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. We recommend following these steps to get a graphics report: 1. Right click on the Desktop, and click on Graphics Properties. 2. Click Options and Support, and then click Information Center. 3. Save the report. If you are experiencing graphics issues on your laptop, we recommend using Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers only. We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided. Now, to get more information about monitor performance, please contact the monitor manufacturer. Sometimes installing a firmware/driver may address display issues. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
UDipp
Beginner

Thanks very much for your answer!

Okay, here is the problem description and the attachments:

The monitor SONY is connected, but it remains all black, while it works properly on other outputs of this except same machine and the same session (e.g. lenovo ThinkPad Pro Dock).

The monitor also shows, with the blueish rectangle, in the applet. Also, the driver software seems to be unaware that it doesn't get the monitor to display anything, because it allows for this monitor to be selected as single active monitor. Which, of course, results in nothing anymore to be seen anywhere.

I had earlier used an Asus VZ27A, which also didn't work; this is why I originally had written in this thread.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello UDipp, If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello UDipp, If the issue occurs when you connect a monitor to a docking station, then we recommend contacting your computer manufacturer to check the list of compatible and validated peripherals. Using docking stations, adapters, or splitters may give you different results. We also recommend you to connect your monitor to your computer using straight-through connections with a single cable (e.g. HDMI*, DiplayPort*). If you are already using the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver, then check for monitor firmware or drivers. This may fix this issue. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello UDipp, Were you able to connect the monitor to the ports on your computer for testing purposes? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos