Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

Driver problem or Hardware fault?

RedDwarf
Beginner

I have been having some problems with my Intel Graphics but I am not certain what is causing it. I do not know whether it is a driver issue or whether there is a hardware fault.

I made a big mistake with my motherboard and did not check that the power was off. It wasn't when I plugged a new PCI-e graphics card in to a PCI-e x16 v3 slot. I did have a low blood sugar at the time which can make me impulsive.

The result is all the PCI-e x16 slots do not seem to work, I have checked them with a working PCI-e x1 card. There are 2 PCI-e x1 slots and the card does work in them.

The problem that I have is that I am getting some issues with a white border surrounding a small on top window as can be seen in the two attached images. The white border should not be there and was not there before. I think that it could be a driver issue but I have never seen this before and I have used the program NetworX for a long time on successive windows installs. I have tried it on another new windows install with the same result. What I would like to know is whether this is a driver issue or a hardware fault?

The best part about it is that this is my 2nd motherboard, I replaced the original one because a wire pulled out of a sensor without me noticing and went under the edge of the motherboard and shorted out the SATA 6Gb/s connectors after which they would only work in IDE mode. Not much use for a SSD drive. I have not had this motherboard for long before this screw up.

Asus P8Z77-V Premium with i7-3770K CPU currently using an i5-3330S purchased cheaply to test. There are some issues with the display and the high refresh rates cause display problems which worked previously. It is identical with both CPU's.

Is this display issue a driver problem or is it a hardware problem? How could a hardware problem cause this issue? I have updated the drivers several times with the same problem.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @RedDwarf

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to inform you that due to the Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (graphics for Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor) and Intel® HD Graphics 2500 (graphics for Intel® Core™ i5-3330S Processor) have been discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html  

You can verify this product's discontinuance status at the following links:

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards, 

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos