Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Dual external displays turn off / lose signal on some websites (with USB C Hub)

larrens
Beginner

I have a Dell Latitude 7280 with Intel HD Graphics 620 (Driver ver: 27.20.100.9316 / 18 Feb 2021)

I have 2 external displays – not 4K -  (27" and 24" 1080i @ 1920x1080) connected into a USB C thunderbolt hub with dual HDMI ports (https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B087WSLDN3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I don’t use the laptop screen - that is off.

Problem:

On some webpages (same few all the time eg. Catch.com.au / Bose.com.au), the external displays either loose signal or connection / turn off for about 15 seconds, then eventually come back on.

All other websites work perfectly.

• Could it be the USB C hub?
  • Could it be the Intel graphics card – I assume its not a bandwidth issue as I found this on the Intel forum: “Intel HD Graphics 620 can, in fact, simultaneously support three independent 4K (3840 × 2160) HDR monitors running at 60Hz”
  • Could it Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) which I read could cause screens to go off momentarily?

This is very frustrating – anyone have a solution to this?

Here is a YouTube link to see the issue (I was looking at the Bose.com.au website)

https://youtu.be/eo_p_j5SowY

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello larrens,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you, please provide the following reports and information so we can move forward with your support request.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)

Download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information
  • By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

DXDIAG 

• Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R. 
  • On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK. 
  • On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information. 
  • Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save. 

Intel® Graphics report

Instructions link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Notes:

• With the graphics report, you don’t have to send reports from both tools just the one you currently use if applicable.
  • Make sure both monitors are connected when you take the report out.

1. Do you remember doing any changes (Hardware/ Software) before the issue started like an OS update or a driver update?
  2. Have you tested this behavior with the customized drivers from Dell’s website?
  3. Have you checked if the external displays have the latest firmware? As well as the HUB you are using?
  4. Have you tested another HUB or instead of using the HUB have you tested if the issue persists while using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI) with a single cable for each display?
  5. Please provide the exact brand and model of both of the monitors been used.

To answer your questions:

Could it be the USB C hub?

R/ Yes, it can definitively be HUB, since our graphics are validated to work best with straight-through connections without the use of any adapters or converters; nonetheless, this doesn’t mean that you can’t use an adapter or docking station, but when it comes to performance unforeseen issues may occur.

Also, we understand that laptops come with limitations when it comes to video output and the number of ports they come with; therefore, when it comes to using any adapters, converters, docking stations, or HUBs it is a good practice to verify with the manufacturer of the laptop to see if they have had the chance to test or validate some of those products based on the customization they have added to the laptop.

Could it be the Intel graphics card – I assume its not a bandwidth issue as I found this on the Intel forum: “Intel HD Graphics 620 can, in fact, simultaneously support three independent 4K (3840 × 2160) HDR monitors running at 60Hz”

R/In regard to this matter, please bear in mind that most devices will support any resolution and refresh rate up to the maximum value listed on our website. To find the resolutions supported by your computer and display, you will need to check with those specific manufacturers, also please remember that based on your chipset, monitor capabilities, and manufacturer configurations, your maximum supported resolution can vary.

Could it Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) which I read could cause screens to go off momentarily?

R/ The EDID allow us to determine based on your system configuration the capabilities of the video source you have which is in this case your Intel graphics, and we don’t consider that has something to do with this; however, if the issue only presents itself with one resolution in particular it can definitively be involved.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello larrens,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
larrens
Beginner

Hi Victor 

Thanks for your assistance. I have attached the 3 reports as you asked. 

To answer your questions: 

1. Do you remember doing any changes (Hardware/ Software) before the issue started like an OS update or a driver update? I bought this laptop recently and did a fresh install of Windows and all Dell drivers, so I have not noitced this issue before. All drivers appear up to date. The issue is very rare and only happened on 2 websites so far. Evey other website is 100%. I also use VMWare Hoizon for work using 2 screens and it is perfect. Never had any issues. 
  2. Have you tested this behavior with the customized drivers from Dell’s website? All drivers are confirmed current per Dell Support.
  3. Have you checked if the external displays have the latest firmware? As well as the HUB you are using? No - I didnt know I coudld check / upgrade display firmware. I will do this now. My hub is a basic one, not sure about the firmware - will try check.
  4. Have you tested another HUB or instead of using the HUB have you tested if the issue persists while using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI) with a single cable for each display? No, I dont have another hub. I will a test straight through connnection later on. 
  5. Please provide the exact brand and model of both of the monitors been used. Screen 1 - Acer 27" SA270 and Screen 2 - LG 24'' 24MP48HQ
0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello larrens,

We appreciate all the information you have provided, and we would like to encourage you to check with both the HUB and the monitor manufacturers to see if there is any firmware update available, if there is one, they should be able to provide instructions to complete it.

Also please let us know how the straight-through test went, if the problem is not present while using straight cables instead of the HUB it can definitely be a limitation related to that piece of hardware.

In regards to the reports that you have provided, it seems that the computer as you mentioned is up to date when it comes to customized drivers from Dell and the operating system itself, just in case there is no update available for both the HUB and the monitors please let us know so we can further advise.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello larrens,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
larrens
Beginner

Hi Victor

Hi @Victor_G_Intel 

Yes, I checked today - plugged in directly to the laptop (i.e. 1 external screen and the laptop screen) I never experianced the issue, so its seems likely the USB hub. 

I will contact the manufacturers. 

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello larrens,

We are glad that you were able to test the connection without the hub, this certainly looks like a limitation related to it, and based on that outcome, we will proceed to close this thread; however, if you need any additional information, you are more than welcome to submit a new question, just remember that this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos