Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Error Message when trying to start the graphics driver installer

LynnLynn
Beginner

So, for context- in case anybody knows how to help the start of the problem- I'm trying to use OBS on my laptop to stream, and whenever I try to start it it crashes. After consulting many, many people on the matter, I've gotten numerous people telling me that I need to update my drivers, specifically my intel graphics one.

So, I've been down a rabbit hole trying to do just that, but whenever I try to run the Intel Graphics Driver Installer, I get an error message that reads the following:

"X Something went wrong.

Your system has a driver that is locked to manufacturer specifications. Please try downloading the latest driver from the manufacturer's website to update.

Installer exit code: 1."

This would be self explanatory, except I can't find any driver updates on the HP website, and whenever I reach out for help there I'm told to use the graphics driver installer, and... well you can see what the problem with that is.

I've been trying to get this to work for 3 days now, so if anyone can help me in any way I'd be so so thankful. I'm attaching the error log from the error message in case that helps.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- ) for Windows. Select all data categories and then have it generate a report. Next, have the tool Save the report to a text file (don't try to use the Submit capability; it doesn't work). Finally, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
LynnLynn
Beginner

I've attached it!

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @LynnLynn

I would like to jump here to assist you, I am glad that other fellow community members helped you in the meantime. 

We recommend you to try the following steps: 

Here are the steps to follow. 

Another option follow these steps carefully: 

• Go to "Device Manager" > "Display Adapters" > Right Click and Click Update Driver (Browse my computer for drivers) 
  • Choose "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
  • Select "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and click "NEXT" 
  • Once the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" successfully replaces the OEM driver, install the Intel® 6th-10th Gen Processor Graphics - Windows 
  • Important: Leave the "Execute Clean Installation" unchecked while performing the installation. 

However, I noticed this is a laptop in the report you sent. We recommend checking with your Laptop manufacturer and using the driver software provided by them to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. You can see this information about the error "Exit code 1" in this article.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
LynnLynn
Beginner

Thank you so much! I thought that Intel had been a part of the system, as I got it from my older brother when he got a new laptop, I think NVIDIA is the driver I should have been focusing on.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel

Hello, @LynnLynn

I would like to explain that, based on the Intel® SSU report, I noticed that you have dual graphics (Intel + NVIDIA), known as switchable graphics too, and based on the error you get when you install our generic driver, can be caused due to some computers that support Switchable graphics don't work with Intel's generic drivers:

Image20230110151850.png

If after the steps provided previously, you still get this error, which could be related to Computer Manufacturer's customizations, you can check the following article to have more details: 

Frequently Asked Questions for Switchable Graphics Feature 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos