Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Export gives high saturated green color on new laptop

SJone31
Beginner

I'm having a weird problem with my new laptop. I hope that the problem can be found here.

I have already contacted with Adobe and we have found out that it isn't a Adobe software problem.

When I export a video from After Effects the video (quicktime prores 422) gives me a high saturated green. See attachment: Color. (2,3,4 are the problem colors)

It shows me this when I watch it in VLC. But when I export to h264 it shows me the right colors.

But when I send the h264 video file to a client(macbook) he sees the high saturated green in the video file.

When I export it on my new laptop to quicktime prores 422 I get the wrong colors, but when I encode (with Media Encoder) this file on my other laptop to h264 and send it to client he gets the good color.

When I upload the video to Vimeo. The thumbnail is showing me the wrong color, but when I play the video it shows me the right color.

He then downloads an encoded video file (HD1080p) from Vimeo and he has the right color.

I think this problem could be made by my Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

or maybe because of the switching between my GTX 2070.

Have you heard of this before?

0 Kudos
28 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SJone31

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to take a look into the behavior, could you please provide or confirm the following information?

1- Details/feedback on how Adobe determined the issue isn't an Adobe Software problem:

2- Exact version of Adobe After Effects software and any other software used:

3- Just to make sure, please confirm the exact brand and model of the laptop experiencing the issue:

4- Exact brand and model of the other laptop used to encode with Media Encoder.

5- By any chance, could you provide a video sample and/or video links as a reference:

6- Is the behavior the same using either the built-in display or an external display.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

1- Details/feedback on how Adobe determined the issue isn't an Adobe Software problem:

I hope this is understandable.

New laptop

I export on my new laptop in After effects 2019 or 2020 to Quicktime Prores 422.

I open file on new laptop in VLC and get high saturation green.

I open the file on my old laptop on VLC and get the good colour.

I upload this file to Vimeo and get the good green

https://vimeo.com/373060087/84d3878b74

I export on my new laptop the MOV file to h264 mp4 with Media Encoder.

I open file in Windows Movies&TV and see normal green.

I send this file to my client on a Macbook and uses Quicktime and he gets the high saturation green.

I upload the MP4 to Vimeo and see the wrong colour in the thumbnail but when it plays I see the right color.

https://vimeo.com/373060782/e2d3a626ac

Old laptop.

When I export the on my old laptop in After effects 2019 to Quicktime Prores 422.

I open the file on my old laptop in VLC and get the good colour.

I open file on new laptop in VLC and get high saturation green.

I upload it to VLC and get the good green

https://vimeo.com/373072975/e0d7b991da

I export on my old laptop the MOV file to h264 mp4 with Media Encoder.

I send this file to my client on a Macbook and uses Quicktime and he gets the normal green.

https://vimeo.com/373073111/5e3e331e03

My client has a macbook with a intel iris graphics 650.

So why I maybe think this a Intel problem. But it’s still a big guess.

On my old laptop with a gtx1070 card I see the good colours with VLC. On my new laptop with a hybrid rtx2070 and an intel graphics 630 I see the bad colours with. My client with a macbook and intel graphics see with quicktime the bad colours.

Does this help?

2- Exact version of Adobe After Effects software and any other software used:

After Effects 2020 (17.00 Build 557)

3- Just to make sure, please confirm the exact brand and model of the laptop experiencing the issue:

BTO X•BOOK 15X990

4- Exact brand and model of the other laptop used to encode with Media Encoder.

MSI GT62VR 7RE-232NL Dominator Pro 4K

5- By any chance, could you provide a video sample and/or video links as a reference:

Here are 4 video files.

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/cap_pid_ft%3AAAAAALv1-yEnH0S5ezObNWLeYgB5Vs3BCtdid3YECz5DnNM8-6YRMsU

6- Is the behavior the same using either the built-in display or an external display.

Yes. I have tried with only my laptop screen and with only a external display connected and with both.(extended display) 

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SJone31

Thank you for all the details provided and the video samples.

Please allow us to take a look into this behavior. As soon as we have more details we will be posting back.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SJone31

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We are still working on the issue described. We would like to gather additional details and recommend to you the following steps:

1- Please let us know if both laptops BTO X•BOOK 15X990 and MSI GT62VR 7RE-232NL Dominator Pro 4K have the same driver version x100.6772. If not, please update both to the latest (if available) graphics driver from the laptop manufacturer website and test the behavior. Please confirm the driver updated on both laptops.

2- If no new driver updates are available or no the same driver version, please update both laptops to the latest Intel® generic driver version 26.20.100.7463. To install the driver, you might need to perform a clean install of the driver following the steps in this link: Uninstalling the Intel® Graphics Driver and Intel® Display HDMI/Audio Driver

Note: Make sure to uninstall first from Windows® Apps & Features. Before trying this, you may create a system restore point just in case.

3- After testing with the same driver version on both laptops to isolate the issue, if the problem persists, please provide a DxDiag* report from both laptops to reflect the driver updates.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

Thanks Andrew,

Question about a the driver. Do I need to install the intel graphics driver on my MSI? That laptop doesn't have an Intel Graphics on it.

I will try the clean install. At the moment on my BTO laptop I have the Intel® generic driver version 26.20.100.7463 installed.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SJone31

If the MSI* laptop only has discrete video card enabled (no integrated Intel® Graphics card is present) then there is no need to install the Intel® driver, actually, it won't install.

In this case, once you complete the clean install of the driver on the new laptop, please kindly provide us with the DxDiag* reports to have them as a reference.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

I did a clean install of the driver and the problem still exists.

In the zip you can find the 2 DX Diag files of my BTO & MSI laptop.

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

I don't know if this helps.

Something else I figured out with help from the creativecow forums. When I change the output modes of VLC to OpenGL I get the good greens.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello,

I was reading this thread and one aspect that I find immensely interesting is this statement regarding your new laptop:

"I export on my new laptop the MOV file to h264 mp4 with Media Encoder.

I send this file to my client on a Macbook and uses Quicktime and he gets the high saturation green."

Question: What is the result if you take the same h.264 mp4 file and play it on VLC on your new laptop?

Note: Intel QuickSync Technology for the Intel Graphics controller operates all media codecs as 8 bpc, YCbCr 4:2:0 video profiles. So far I doubt this has any relevance on this issue but it is a good to know fact 🙂

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

Hi Ronald,

The h264 shows me the good green with VLC. If I can recall it correctly.

Today I sent my laptop back to BTO for a fan issue. Will get it back next week. If my recall was wrong I will post it back here.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SJone31

Thank you for the details regarding the change in the output modes of VLC.

Once you are able to test after receiving your laptop from BTO please kindly confirm the output regarding Ronald's inquiry:

• "What is the result if you take the same h.264 mp4 file and play it on VLC on your new laptop?"

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SJone31,

I was checking the thread and I would like to know if you have received the laptop back from BTO? If so, by any chance were you able to test regarding Ronald's inquiry?

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

Hi Andrew, I am still waiting for it. It should have been back by now.

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

I'm back. The result with the h.264 mp4 file is that I get the the good green. But my client then still sees the saturated green on his Macbook.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Thanks for sharing the test results.

Given the information we have so far, I am failing to see where or why the graphics driver would produce so different results. Case in point, the Macbook uses a different OS and driver stack and in Windows OS we get different results from the same file.

Now I'm beginning to suspect the issue might be coming from the laptop's built-in display calibration and color values for specific encoders. Are these results confirmed only on the laptop's built-in screen? what about using an external display?

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

2nscreen.pngWhen I only use my second screen I still get the same results.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SJone31,

Thank you for your response.

We would like to test this behavior in our lab, in order to do so, could you please provide us with the following details.

1- In addition to the steps you provided before in the thread on how you determined the "issue isn't an Adobe Software problem", would it be possible to elaborate more on the exact steps you take to replicate the issue and how the export process is done?

2- Would you be able to share some files in order for us to use them as a reference in our lab? For instance, a project file, and another file as the outcome once the export is done.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

Yes will send tonight.

0 Kudos
SJone31
Beginner

It all takes place in this After Effects file:

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAAAAIpogcAG_3j2an2wtWAgflE5Davpt6mddMz5TpI6Uxhs22F-xvk

There isn't that much more to elaborate on this. On my BTO laptop I get the wrong colors and on my other laptop after exporting I get the good colors. With the same version of After Effects.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello SJone31,

Thank you for your response and the file provided. We are going to check this behavior in our lab and as soon as we have more details we will be posting back in this thread.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos