Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

External monitor blurry and distorted at 1920 x 1080 with Intel Iris Plus

Nosher1
Beginner

Hello everyone,
I just got a new Dell Inspiron 5593 laptop with integrated Intel Iris Plus video, and I'm trying to use it with my Hannspree HF289H monitor using a USB cable, which is listed as having a resolution of 1920 x 1200. I have been using this monitor for years without any issues with my old HP HP Probook 4540s laptop at 1920 x 1200. When I connect this monitor to my new Dell Inspiron and I try to use 1920 x 1200 (which I have to set up manually in the Intel Graphics Command Center software) or 1920 x 1080 resolution, which is the highest resolution the software normally displays, it looks very messed up. It's blurry and everything looks narrow and vertically stretched/tall. The Intel software says that the "recommended" resolution is 1680 x 1050. When I switch to that, the blurriness and distortions go away, and everything looks normal, but I don't want to use it at 1680 x 1050 because everything on the screen is too big. I want to use it at 1920 x 1200 like I have in the past so I can fit more stuff on the screen. Or at least use it at 1920 x 1080.  But I cannot figure out a way to do it without everything looking totally crappy. I've played with the settings in the Intel software and nothing helps. I'm not sure why my old HP laptop with Intel HD Graphics card didn't have this problem. Both my new Dell and old HP were running Windows 10 Home. Please help!
Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Nosher1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I understand that you are experiencing a blurry image when working with the 1920x1080 resolution.

To better assist you I would appreciate if you could provide the following information:

• If possible, please provide a screenshot/picture of the distorted image.
  • Does this occur only with the external monitor? Does this occur also with the HDMI port?
  • Are you using a straight connection to the monitor?

Please run the following tool and attach the reports generated.   

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) Download link 

1.       Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

2.     By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   

3.       Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   

4.       To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Nosher1

Were you able to check the previous post?   

Please let me know if you need further assistance.   

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello Nosher1

We have not heard back from you. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos