Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20600 Discussions

External monitor issue

GDi_G
Beginner

On my Lenovo laptop (Celeron CPU 1005M, RAM 6 GB, Hd SSD 525 Gb, embedded Intel Graphics card with 2 Mb shared memory, WIN 10 education) the Graphics driver (Version 10.18.10.4885 - the most recent available) does not recognize an external Samsung TV connected to the HDMI port. The issue is a little bit tricky, because, immediately after (and during) the installation of the Graphics driver, the external monitor is properly recognized and works fine (as desktop extension or as the exclusive display) until next restart, when it's simply impossible to find it again anywhere (intel Graphics control panel shows only the integrated display). It's a software issue, because in the system bios the HDMI TV can be set as the main display, and works fine until Windows 10 boots, and the HDMI TV can be used without problems under Ubuntu linux. In attachment can be found the report generated by SSU utility. I've tried several driver reinstallations, with no luck. I'm wondering which is the problem with the driver, and if a complete reinstallation of Windows O.S. could solve this issue.

Thanks

Giovanni

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

For laptop devices, you should only be installing the version(s) of the Intel HD Graphics driver that are validated and supplied by your laptop manufacturer. It is common for laptop manufacturers to make modifications to these drivers to support their hardware design (for dimming control, etc.) and installing generic drivers from Intel (which also haven't been validated on these platforms) can cause more problems than they fix.

...S

0 Kudos
GDi_G
Beginner

Thank you for the answer. I forgot to mention that I installed the most recent Intel Graphics driver just because the one provided by Lenovo had the same problem in dealing with my external monitor tv Samsung. Anyway, as you suggested, I tried and downgrade the driver to the one provided by Lenovo support, with no luck. As I said in my previous post, the weird thing is that, during the installation, the external tv monitor works perfectly, and goes on working until the first restart. After that, it disappears. It looks like there's a bug in the graphics driver.

Giovanni

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello giodig,

Can you please let us know which driver versions have you tested so far?

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello giodig,

We just wanted to double check if you need further assistance?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos