Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20673 Discussions

False multiple monitors with intel drivers

JMade4
Novice

I have an Asus UX501J that use Intel HD Graphics 4600. Usually I connect 2 extra monitors. Today I came back to my computer and all displays was in chaos. My main screen was in 4K duplicated with some other screen that do not exist. In total my driver is telling me I have 7 monitors. See my screen dump. No use to update the driver. This is the latest.

126 Replies
CFlor14
Beginner

Hi,

I tested the test driver and it didn't fix the problem yet :/.

Hyper-v is need for docker to run, so this is a problem.

Will attach the dxdiag result to help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks so much Ronald_Intel for getting this driver out there for us.

My Win10 Pro Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393 didn't want to install this TEST driver either using the exe or the zip but there is a work around...

1. Uninstall the display driver and audio driver choosing to delete existing
  2. Reboot to safe mode
  3. Install the new drivers using the manual method
  4. Reboot to normal desktop and allow Windows to do its installation of what it thinks is best
  5. When Windows is done go back into Device Manager and do a 'Roll back' on the driver in the properties -> details panel (note: might as well put reason 'other' and give a good reason.

You should now be using the TEST driver. If the driver doesn't work out you can update to the Microsoft suggested driver again by updating and letting Windows decide again.

Anyhow, that's what I had to do...

I've done a clean install <_again_> and didn't enable hyper-v yet so I can't test the multiple virtual adaptors right now... But, another issue the previous driver had was having was causing BSOD kmode exceptions when HDMI was used and the resolution had been adjusted during the same session. My TV requires dramatic manual aspect ratio adjustments to get everything on the screen via HDMI, so this new driver will have _that_ tested for stability for a week or two first. I can test both the 15pin and HDMI though. Just this morning I had the 'blank' screen issue when using the DP15 monitor-out with built-in disabled when the system went to sleep. I'll test that again tonight and report back.

I'll likely wait until the Windows 10 Creator's update to re-enable hyper-v.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Forgot to post the dxdiag, which I can't seem to be able to just insert... So, here's a public link https://1drv.ms/t/s!AnxA6wjqhqRxq2Kt_QUtGctOeFty DxDiag.txt < https://1drv.ms/t/s!AnxA6wjqhqRxq2Kt_QUtGctOeFty Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. >

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Everyone thank you for your replies. The information provided so far has been of tremendous help.

I retested this driver here, and I couldn't see the issue anymore, while if I go back to 15.40.4501 I can replicate the situation as long as Hyper-V is enabled.

Since we are seeing different results, can you send me screen shots showing the list of applications you have installed? (i.e. the "Programs and features" list from Control Panel). The goal here is to identify if there is any other application that could be triggering a different result on your systems vs. mine. You can either do it here or via Private Message.

Once again, thank you so much for your help. I regret asking so much from you, but together we can all contribute to improve on the drivers.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

So here are the screenshots.

0 Kudos
CFlor14
Beginner

Hi,

Here is my program list.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtqLY8NbBdhMwXzv4Kvn7A9k9NLj Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GDHon
Beginner

Problem still exists here after installing the test driver

10.18.15.4256 -> OK but is automatically updated by Windows Updates to 20.19.15.4549

20.19.15.4549 -> NOK

20.19.15.4624 -> NOK

This is a very annoying bug when using beamers/projectors since the screen duplication is confused.

The average end user is used to connect the VGA cable to the beamer and all works out-of-the-box which doesn't work anymore.

Fujitsu E754, Win10 Pro 10.0.14393, Intel HP Graphics 4600, no Hyper-V

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi.

First, this driver seems to be more stable than the Win10 chosen driver, as I haven't been getting BSOD faults but there is a new problem. I'm getting multiple errors in the event log and application hangs on 'display'. The application hangs come from when I run a full-screen windowed app on 'Monitor' as display 1 and another app on 'Builtin' as display 2. The errors that preceed this are 'SideBySide' errors. both of these errors occur when a change has been made to the display setup via the Intel Graphics Properties control app or in the app on 'Monitor' without rebooting Win10 prior to using those settings.

I'm guessing there is a glitch where the active settings aren't being fully populated between Win10, the driver, and the apps.

and

While this is far better than a BSOD the error was not present in the previous driver and I wanted to make sure it was reported.

Here's the Control Panel's setup...

and the dxdiag.txt link

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AnxA6wjqhqRxrDhaeYZ-k55u_6Ew Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

BTW - With these settings the app I am running on 'Monitor' is Black Desert Online and I am using the DB15 connector instead of the HDMI because when using the HDMI at this resolution I am forced to do a custom aspect ratio set down to around 55% on the horizontal and vertical to get the image fully on-screen. Which I think is odd considering it is the same resolution.

Thanks for reading.

Thell

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any updates on this issue? It's been almost a month.

I imagine with the CE update rolling out that many more will encounter this issue. I encountered this after upgrading to Windows CE early. Searched forever to find that it was unique to Hyper-V. Unfortunately I need Hyper-V running. I was also looking forward to seeing some of the scaling issue fixed.

Luckily I was able to downgrade for now.

@Ronald_Intel please advise

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

In fact, it's been almost 3 months, and right now I need my virtual machine to run Ubuntu for my college works, and the problem is still there......

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

We have been testing our latest 15.40 drivers baseline trying to replicate the issue, but so far no luck. In the old driver build 4501 we were able to replicate this 100% of the time (i.e. Graphics Control Panel not installed and ghost displays showing up in Windows*), while with the latest 4624 we do not observe the issue anymore. What exactly do you see when you open the Multiple-Displays section of the Intel Graphics Control Panel? feel free to add some screen shots as they can help us.

In addition, after reviewing the DxDiag.txt files you all sent, I observed that most of you still seeing this issue have laptops featuring 2 graphics cards (e.g. Intel + Nvidia*).

Please try the following, as oftentimes the drivers installation order actually have an impact on the system:

1. Disconnect from the Internet.

2. Disable Hyper-V.

3. Uninstalling the discrete graphics card drivers completely.

4. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005598.html Uninstall the Intel Graphics driver (It should be listed in Device Manager as "Windows Basic Display Adapter").

5. Install the latest 15.40 graphics driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

6. Install the latest drivers for the discrete graphics card.

7. Re-enable Hyper-V

8. Re-connect to the Internet.

I look forward to your replies, and rest assured that I haven't given up on this one.

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

As Carlos posted, I can´t acces the graphics control panel, and my laptop only have the integrated graphic card.

This is what Display settings show.

Thanks

0 Kudos
CFlor14
Beginner

Hi,

I don't have Graphics Control Panel :/. Can't access it. Should i install it again?

I see 5 screens on my laptop: (not connected to any external screen)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtqLY8NbBdhMwirTNXFHaxMk4RjN Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Thanks for the fast reply.

Please go ahead and try the steps I outlined in my previous post.

julious in your case, omit steps 3 and 6 since you do not have a discrete graphics card.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I followed the steps exactly.

It worked fine with Hyper disabled but as soon as I enabled Hyper-V, the same issue occurs. Multiple hidden ghost monitors and unable to open Intel Graphics

-Here is the dxdiag - https://1drv.ms/t/s!Ai3kPYTrDe8AhOZ38GN2OSNqovDDbA Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

-I'm unable to even open Intel Graphics Properties but instead took a screenshot of the monitor situation from Windows.

I don't have my external display connected.

note: Every time I try to Show only on 1, a new ghost monitor will appear.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello riksterinto,

Thank you for posting your DxDiag.txt file. Looking at it I can see that you still have driver 4531 installed. The driver that we are interested in testing is build 4624.

Can you re-do the steps I listed? It is crucial that you keep the computer disconnected from the Internet so Windows* Update doesn't try to automatically install a driver for you.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

I just have followed the steps, but it didn't fix the problem.

I have to repeat the step 4 multiple times untill the microsoft graphics driver appear to be the one installed.

Thanks for the Help.

EDIT* Maybe this information could help:

(Virtualization is enabled).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello

The 4624 driver had the same result.

I have 3 dxdiag files here:

1. DxDiag4624NoHV - Intel driver 4624 working with Hyper V disabled
  2. DxDiag4624wHV_bug - Intel driver 4624 NOT working Hyper V enabled
  3. DxDiag4463wHVWorks - Intel driver 4463 works with Hyper V enabled but older driver where scaling issues still exist

link

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ai3kPYTrDe8AhOZ6j52vqBSDzY1OxA Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

EDIT - FYI I tried a few different ways to disable Hyper-V each time. 1, Simply uninstalling the feature. 2, included disabling Virtualization in BIOS. Same results every time.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

julious one quick question... are you a part of the Windows* Insider Program? (i.e. you get regular Windows* build updates through Windows* Update). I noticed that riksterinto already has Windows* 10 RS2 build, so perhaps this is a combination of Graphics driver + Hyper-V + specific Windows* build.

I'm trying to find out what is different between your systems and the rest that do not see the issue.

Thank you for your cooperation guys, it is of tremendous help to us.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For myself:

I'm not an insider on this PC or on the account I use on this PC. I simply followed Windows Update to get RS2 a few days early.

This issue occurred prior to the RS2 build of Windows. Windows update tried to update Intel Graphics from 4463 to 4531 around March 20th when Dell released the updated driver. This caused my external monitor to go blank and also added hidden ghost monitors.

TLDR - The same thing happened on Windows 1607 AU

0 Kudos