Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20672 Discussions

False multiple monitors with intel drivers

JMade4
Novice

I have an Asus UX501J that use Intel HD Graphics 4600. Usually I connect 2 extra monitors. Today I came back to my computer and all displays was in chaos. My main screen was in 4K duplicated with some other screen that do not exist. In total my driver is telling me I have 7 monitors. See my screen dump. No use to update the driver. This is the latest.

126 Replies
JSanc22
New Contributor I

As far as I know, i'm not part of the Windows insider program. I tried once, on January of this year, but at the last step, where they warn you about the posible harms of the program, I declined, but maybe i'm receiving some updates.

That's a screeshot of the windows insider program part of the settings.

0 Kudos
JJohn36
Beginner

When I applied the Anniversary Update last year, it changed the refresh rate for my laptop screen from 60hz to 59hz. That caused my taskbar to show up as a black bar. The same thing just happened when I applied the latest Intel Graphics 530 update (4590). You might want to check that.

JohnD

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks but I don't think this is the same thing johnptd

Ronald_Intel - Are there any more details that could help the investigation besides a dxdiag? The issue seems related to hypervisorlaunchtype. Set it off in BCD, then reboot and the driver works great. Set it back to auto then reboot with multiple imaginary non PNP ghost monitors and no Intel Graphics panel.

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Maybe this information could help, but with this test dirver and with virtualization enabled, when videos enter full screen mode, the task bar won't hide, also the main menu of Windows sometimes blinks.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello riksterinto,

It sounds to me that you may have found a temporary work around for this issue. Let me look into this new data and I'll get back to you soon.

Kindest Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I wouldn't call it an acceptable workaround. I use VMs on Hyper V a lot. I usually use multiple monitors also.

The issue is greater than just ghost monitors and lack of external monitor functions. It makes overall system performance laggy.

I've had to revert back to 4463 which has compatibility issues with scaling on new Windows but it's somewhat acceptable

Odd, likely just coincidence, but I read on a set of Intel graphics release notes something about 1vs4 virtual monitors. This bug creates 4 imaginary monitors.

0 Kudos
PBign
Beginner

Why is this considered "closed" ? We are nowhere close to a solution.

For professional using Hyper-V with Docker or other VM tools, that's a huge problem ! Especially with Windows 10 habit of auto-updating drivers ...

0 Kudos
MaryT_Intel
Employee

Hi Pierrick,

This thread wasn't 'closed', just the status changed to 'Assumed Answered'. We're looking into the history on who initiated that so we can understand it, but in the meantime, I changed it back. Even if it's Assumed Answered, people can still reply and comment. Thanks for letting us know!

Mary T.

Support Community Manager

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Hello riksterinto,

How did you manage to use your virtual machine? I have tried to do your "workaround" turning off the

hypervisorlaunchtype, and the ghost monitors disappeared and I can finally acces the graphics panel control

when the virtualization is enabled from the BIOS, but when I try to launch Oracle's Virtual Machine, It doesn´t

do anything, it doesn't even launch an error, it just simple do anything and it appears that I can't use the virtual machine

for my college works until Intel finally fix the problem on it's totality.

Hope it happens before finals.....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I can't use VMs with newer drivers. I've had to revert back to driver pre version 4501. For the most part things seem OK but still some scaling issues and slight performance problems with animation jitter or when using switchable graphics. Those issues appear to be resolved in newer drivers but no VM :S

0 Kudos
JSanc22
New Contributor I

Well, that's enough. It's been almost 4 months, I will not use the virtual machine anymore and I will install ubuntu on dual boot mode. Maybe you can do the same.

Hope the best.

0 Kudos
DW3
Beginner

I'm running a Dell Precision M3800 Laptop w/t Intel 4600 HD and NVIDIA Quadro K1100M, Windows 10 x64 Build 1709. I didn't experience the issue until I actually connected an external display via HDMI. I also have HYPER-V Enabled and require the functionality for my job. I ended up with 4 ghost monitors and my HDMI output did not function. I tried the latest intel drivers and several of your post but the only thing that that ended up working for me was going back to an old Intel Driver posted by Dell for the M3800 (10.18.15.4248)

I noticed other people also found success with using older drivers as well. Long term I'm not sure if this will hold due to automatic patching of drivers by Microsoft. I also haven't tried (don't really want to at this point) connecting an external HDMI connection again. do you know if this is only tied to HDMI, does it affect DP as well?

0 Kudos
PShee
Beginner

conquesttsi I'm only using DisplayPort and I have the problem. As far as I know it affects all connection types.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

should a new discussion be opened? I noticed the status on this is assumed answered but the bug still exists and impacts many users.

idata
Employee

Ronald_Intel I agree with riksterinto and this thread should not be marked as answered (with a green checkmark). We, and you, have known for sometime now that disabling hyper-v fixes the issue with the multiple virtual monitors. Stating that booting with bcd set to hypervisorlaunchtype off may be a workaround is not the answer we are looking for. I, like riksterinto, use hyperv and use multiple external monitor setups depending on the work environment.

The newest driver (the test one) _is_ better than the MS update supplied driver; in that there are less hard freezes, crashes, and BSOD issues but if it isn't handling the multimonitor setup then it doesn't help...

CPeac2
Beginner

I'm also having this exact issue on my laptop with the Test 4624 driver installed.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Everyone,

I do not know why this was marked as "Assumed Answered", perhaps the thread author did it at one point, I'm not really sure. The thread has been marked as Unanswered by now, and we prefer to keep using this one for all communications on this issue.

As for the latest updates, I am able to report that we have finally been able to replicate this issue with our latest 15.40 drivers. This should speed things up, but as soon as I have more details from our developers I'll let you know.

Once again, thank you for your patience and we'll be in touch soon.

Regards,

0 Kudos
MPool1
Beginner

Hey everyone, having the same issue as well.

Windows 10 Creators Update, Intel Core i7-4720HQ in a Clevo(model number not sure) Driver version: 15.40.34.4624

I have set up a sort of workaround for myself: a toggle during boot switching hyper-v on/off: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/SwitchEasilyBetweenVirtualBoxAndHyperVWithABCDEditBootEntryInWindows81.aspx LINK

Tutorial is for windows 8.1 but works just as fine for Windows 10!

Is there btw any way I can help and add more information for the developers to fix these issues?

0 Kudos
AKell8
Beginner

Hi all,

Here for the same reason as everyone else. Got 4 extra phantom monitors and HDMI out won't work.

Running Windows 10 Creators Update. I have also have been on the insider build preview branch.

Currently using Dockers for Windows which uses Hyper-V.

The menu items for Intel don't display when Hyper-V is enabled either (i.e. "Graphics Properties...", "Graphics Options").

Pictures and DxDiag.txt below.

http://adenkelly.com/DxDiag.txt DxDiag.txt

// EDIT:

Just tried the 4463 driver riksterinto mentioned. All seems to work fine. Something between these releases has caused the break.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

intel_corp Ronald_Intel

Any updates to pass on?

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi riksterinto,

Our development team is still working on debugging this issue. I haven't posted in here since we don't have a fix yet, but rest assured that debugging in progressing.

I am also monitoring all instances of this issue reported by the Community.

As soon as I have a substantial update I'll let you all know.

Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos