Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Fan continues to run after Windows 10 shutdown on i7-8750H/Intel Graphics UHD 630

PGolo
Beginner

Description

Main fan on the CPU continues to spin non-stop after normal shutdown on Windows 10 x64 (1809) with the latest Intel Graphics UHD 630 DCH driver version 25.20.100.6448 installed. The same behavior is observed with the previous driver build 6444. See that behavior here https://youtu.be/jDd6vnEP3QU

I can most certainly say the issue is with the driver, because if I uninstall the driver and leave it with the Microsoft Basic Video Adapter, the PC shuts down correctly and the fan stops. I also tried installing Ubuntu and everything is fine too - the fan stops after PC shutdown.

Steps to reproduce the issue/bug:

1. Install Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809)
  2. Install Intel Graphics UHD 630 DCH driver version 25.20.100.6448
  3. Shutdown PC
  4. Observe the fan running non-stop

Then remove the driver (downgrade back to Microsoft Basic Video Adapter driver) and see the problem disappear.

Than install the latest Ubuntu LTS, shutdown the PC and the fan will stop too.

System information

• Motherboard: SiYW S200 Series
  • Motherboard chipset: Intel CM238 (Skylake PCH-H)
  • DxDiag.txt and SSU.txt reports are attached

Additional configuration details:

None. The problem appears on a clean install with nothing really attached to the PC.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

try these solutions

1 disable hibernation

2 disable fast startup in power settings

3 open registry editor find this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

on right side find ClearPageFileAtShutdown , change value from 1 to 0

0 Kudos
PGolo
Beginner

Already did all these three things – it didn't help.

0 Kudos
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

remove fan power cable , reinsert

0 Kudos
PGolo
Beginner

Nothing has changed either.

I also noticed in the "Reliability history" that the following warning appears every day:

"Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80246013: 9NCGJX5QLP9M-AppUp.IntelMediaSDKDFP."

Does it say anything to you? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Have you tried with the latest version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28515/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126790? You need to make sure you Windows 10 is to update to avoid installation issues. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PGolo
Beginner

Windows 10 is up to date and the latest driver version 25.20.100.6519 did not help - same symptoms remained. 😞

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Have you tried the drives from your computer manufacturer? Let us know your computer model, I tried searching for the model in your information but I could not find the correct one. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PGolo
Beginner

Hi Amy,

Yes, I did indeed tried. It is an OEM system with a mobile CPU – a mini PC (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Partaker-i7-8750H-Coffee-Lake-8th-Gen-Mini-PC-Windows10-With-Intel-Core-i7-8750H-Intel/32952171693.html)

The manufacturer doesn't provide any system-specific drivers and says it should work with drivers provided by component manufacturers or the OS. It works properly on both Ubuntu and Windows with Microsoft generic video adapter drivers but exhibits the described behaviour with Intel-provided driver. Thus, my conclusion it has something to do with the driver itself rather than the system or the OS.

Cheers,

Pavel

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
If you need further assistance let us know. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
Pavel, sure I understand that. We can run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool to test the health of the processor. If the issue continues, the best thing is to check with Partaker support. There is an Intel product on this unit, but the warranty and support needs to be handled by the computer manufacturer. Please, let me know the results of the test. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
If you need further assistance let us know. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel1
Employee
I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. Amy C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos