Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Flickering screen on new laptop

RPaun
Beginner

I own an ASUS Vivobook Pro N580VD-FY678 bought one month ago. I also bought a SSD HP S700 250GB SATA-III M.2 to add in the laptop's dual drive suport. The intervention was made at one of ASUS Service Centre.

The OP I use is Windows 10 Pro.

After the upgrade with the SSD, I'm dealing with a problem: The screen is flickering, and sometimes while using the scroll function there are some white pixel horizontal lines. I took my laptop back to the same service centre, where they replaced the LCD and the motherboard too, but nothing changed. The service attached me the results of the tests they made on my device, wich they prove that every component works fine.

I've send my laptop to another authorized ASUS Service Centre, but all they did was reinstalling & updating the BIOS and the drivers, because AGAIN, the tests couldn't find any issue.

Right now I'm dealing with the same problem, BUT when I connect another monitor with HDMI cable at the sime time, the flickering happens only my laptop's screen.

The ASUS Service Centre says that it's not a tehnical problem, that it has to be a software issue so they can't help too much.

I tried installing the OP on the SSD / on the HDD / Reinstall and update the display drivers from their websites / BIOS update / changing screen resolution, and nothing seems to work.

Could the compatibility with the SSD be the problem ? What more can I do ?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH the results of this utility. Then, an Intel support engineer can assist you.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Doc

0 Kudos
RPaun
Beginner

here it is

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Razvan120,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with the System Support Utility report. I can see that the system has stopped working properly ever since the upgrade with the SSD. I cannot confirm this, but it seems like the system is rejecting the SSD, either because it is defective or a compatibility issue. However, I am unable to tell for sure, this is because you must check the compatibility with the manufacturer of the system, in this case Asus*.

Something I can recommend you to do for testing purposes is to remove the SSD from the system and try using the system normally to see if the flickering persists. Since the operating system was re-installed then it does not really seem to be a software issue to be honest, it points more at a hardware problem.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RPaun
Beginner

Hei ! Thank you for advice !

The ASUS Service Centre assured me that it has nothing to do with the SSD because the flickering it does happen only on my laptop screen when I connect a monitor at the same time. Check out the second video I attached to my first post.

Intel Costumer Support noticed me that there is a new version for the Graphic Driver, and I did the upgrade a few hours ago + Windows 10 Oct Update.

The flickering start right away in the first 10min of the upgrade..

0 Kudos
RPaun
Beginner

Here is the new report, after Windows 10 Oct Update + Intel Graphic Driver update

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Razvan120,

Thank you for your response.

I was checking both of the videos and I can see that one of them shows only the laptop flickering. Now, if you believe it is a software problem then the best route to take is to do a clean installation of the graphics driver, however, with the latest driver provided by your system's manufacturer. Since the unit has two graphic adapters then it is advisable to first contact Asus* so that they can guide you through the steps, this is because they need to help you install the drivers in a certain order.

For more information, here is the Asus* support site where you can get any driver that may be needed for the update:

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580VD/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-Pro-15-N580VD/HelpDesk_Download/

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

I recommend the latest driver from the manufacturer because we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Razvan120,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
RPaun
Beginner

Hei ! I really appreciate your help !

I didn`t replied because right now my laptop is once again at the service. Another service, the third one.

As soon as I`ll have news I`ll let you know.!

As for the manufacturer drivers, yeah I am aware of that. Before opening this topic on here, I got in contact with Asus Costumer Suport. They told me the same thing. I`ve done updates for the graphic drivers and for the BIOS too. The last time my laptop was in service, all they did was a clean install for the drivers because they couldn`t find any other tehnical issue. And again.. that didn`t solved the flickering screen.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Razvan120,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, please keep me updated and let me know after you get the computer back so we can see if there is any other step we can follow to address the problem.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Razvan120,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
MHoss30
Beginner

Hi , i have the same problem; but as I live in Iran and i have used the laptop for 2 years, There is no warranty for my Laptop

could you help me how to fix this problem ?

( I have updated all of my graphic card like RPaun , and flickering is not permanent, It just start suddenly and will stop after moments)

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Start a new thread, and provide all the information about your laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
RPaun
Beginner

Hello everyone ! I'm back with news

It's over. I don't own that device anymore. They gave my money back !

Neither the 3rd time the Service Centre didn't manage to solve the problem. All they did was a downgrade for the BIOS version wich they also upgraded last time.. and it took them 17 days to do this ( even they were not allowed to keep my device more than 15 ). After just 10minutes of using my laptop I noticed that the problem got even worse. The screen was not flickering anymore, it was just turning black ( but not the well known black screen. There was visibility 5% ). Only restarting the computer managed to get the screen back to normal.. but not for long.

I've send the laptop back to the service in the same day and they called me and after another 13 days to give my money back.

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me !

I really appreciate your concern !

0 Kudos
MHoss30
Beginner

Unfortunately I have same problem but i dont have any warranty 😞

0 Kudos