Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

For the Intel HD graphics 520 am I able to hook up two monitors to it and use them as an extended display. (this would be two seperate monitors not the laptop monitor that is attached to the laptop.

NSosa
Beginner

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Your processor's Intel HD Graphics engine supports three DisplayPort (DP) 1.2 output streams and a maximum of three monitors. One of these will be used to support the internal eDP display. Whether the laptop exposes both of the other output streams to external connectors is the question. Almost every laptop I have seen supports only one external connector.

Now, even if there is only one external connector, all is not lost. If the output stream is exposed via a DP or USB-C connector, it is actually possible to connect two independent displays via this connector. This can be achieved two possible ways, (1) using a device called a MST Hub (MST Hubs supporting two DP or two HDMI monitors are available) or by daisy-chaining two DP monitors together (if these monitors indeed support daisy-chaining). In both of these cases, these two monitors will share the bandwidth of the single DP output stream, There will thus be limitations on the resolutions supported by these monitors (though it is still possible to connect two 1080p (1920 x 1080) monitors at up to 144Hz, two 1440p (2560 x 1440) monitors at up to 75Hz or two 2160p (3840 x 2160) monitors at up to 30Hz).

Note: For completeness, I will mention two things:

1. It is actually possible to connect three monitors via a single DP output stream. This can be achieved using either a 3-way MST Hub or via daisy-chaining. Because the Intel HD Graphics engine can only support three displays and because laptops already have one monitor (the built-in eDP display), only two other monitors can be connected.
  2. You can always use USB-based monitors in addition to those supported by the Intel HD Graphics engine.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos