Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Forza Horizon 5 severe glitches with Iris Xe

hsode345
New Contributor I

I tried out the new Forza Horizon 5, both on my Xbox One S and on my (2) computers. There are still several issues with the game that are being adressed by the game dev team, but since Intel iGPU's are not officially supported, I don't think this particular issue is primarily the dev team's concern.

Forza Horizon 5 runs rather well on my i7-1165G7/Iris Xe laptop, as it can easily keep 30-40 fps with modest resolution and settings (I don't mind playing with 1280:800 resolution, medium settings).

Something with the rendering seems to saturate after running the game for a while. It is easily repeatable with the Benchmark mode, every time. It starts clean, but after about 30 seconds the game screen starts to flicker heavily. See this attached video.

I'm not a GPU / driver dev, but here are observations:

- It does not start immediately when the Benchmark mode (or the game) starts, only after awhile. Maybe something that exeeds the GPU mem?

- The flickering is irregular and causes an ALMOST fully opaque bright screen to block the view.

- The bright screen seems to be either red, green or blue.

- At first the blocking effect is incomplete, as it has a "web-like" appearance, but after a while it turns into full "frame".

- It does not affect menu screen or the Benchmark results screen (that is superpositioned on the game view that still flickers).

- Having the game full screen or windowed does not matter.

- It have not tested every single graphical setting, but no scaling/MSAA/filter quality setting seems to matter.

The video showcases the glitch. Also the game hangs every now and then (another issue, probably unrelated). Then there is a random minor glitch that might be unrelated, also shown in the end of the video.

VIDEO LINK

Background info:

The game installed just fine, it is the Microsoft store version (since I also have Xbox). It plays fine on my other PC that has NVIDIA GPU.

The PC I have this issue with is a new ASUS Zenbook 14X OLED (UX5401UA). Other specifications: CPU (TDP 28+W) Intel Core i7-1165G7, GPU Intel Iris Xe, 16 Gt RAM, 1 Tb M.2 NVMe SSD, 14" OLED WQXGA+ touch screen (2,8K, 2880 x 1800, 16:10).

I clean installed Windows 11 on an empty SSD, with latest updates installed (Microsoft Windows 11 Home 10.0.22000). I have the latest Intel GPU drivers (version 30.0.100.9929). The Intel Graphics Tool generated report is attached.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
hsode345
New Contributor I

I can confirm that the latest driver version 30.0.101.1191 (released on 14 Dec, 2021) fixes the most apparent glitch that causes the whole screen to flicker with bright colors. There are some small "flares" of light that kind of seem related, but they appear in smaller sections of the screen.

So the game is now more or less playable with my laptop (Irix Xe). There are still graphics issues, but they are much more minor and should be discussed elsewhere. The devs probably know about them already.

A big thank you for the driver team, great job!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

hsode345, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

Did Forza Horizon 5 ever work fine before on this specific machine?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
hsode345
New Contributor I

Thank you for your reply! Here's some (requested) additional information:

Is this a new computer?
Yes, it's ASUS Zenbook 14X OLED (UX5401EA) that was released in Sep 2021.

When did you purchase it?
I bought it in October 2021.

Did Forza Horizon 5 ever work fine before on this specific machine?
I bought Forza Horizon 5 on day 1 (8th Nov 2021) when it was relased and the problem was there in the beginning. So no, it never ran properly.

When did the issue start?
Immediately when I first booted the game and ran the Benchmark mode (after 30s or so).

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?
I installed Windows 11 on a clean SSD and then I installed all of the drivers from ASUS support site. All the updates are installed thereafter. None of the actions should be causative of the problem.

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?
It's my personal home laptop.

The requested full SSU report is attached.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
hsode345
New Contributor I

And by the way, another user recorded a video on a different laptop (Razer Book 13) with the same processor and iGPU, the video can be viewed HERE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxi5Pg_Tn9s ) (Thank you @EdgeOfTheEarth). You can clearly see it's the same issue.

So the issue is does not seem to be vendor-specific.

The other user states that the issue appeared after driver update (in the video description). I already had the latest drivers so I can not verify this.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

hsode345, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information, the SSU, and the video.

According to the SSU document, the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 30.0.100.9929, provided by ASUS, which is the proper driver for your system since it was tested and validated by them.

The Intel® graphics drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your specific device. Still, for testing purposes, we can try a clean installation of Intel® graphics driver version 30.0.101.1069 following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629/graphics.html

We also advise to get in contact directly with ASUS support to confirm with them if the latest BIOS version is currently installed in your machine or to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
hsode345
New Contributor I

As proposed, I tested out the newer GPU driver vesion 30.0.101.1069 and also the BETA version 30.0.101.1121 . Neither corrected the problem, the video output in FH5 is exactly the same.

As for my BIOS, there was in fact a newer version (Version 300) available for my laptop on ASUS Support site, released just some days ago. I upgraded the BIOS normally and rebooted to Windows 11. Everything works as usual, unfortunately newer BIOS has no effect on graphical output & glitches in Forza Horizon 5.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

hsode345, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

We are sorry to hear the issue with the game FH5 persists after trying the troubleshooting steps provided previously. Keep in mind that when it comes to games we always advise to check the system requirements of that specific game, in this case, Forza Horixzon5. I looked on different external links and it seems to be that a dedicated graphics card is required for the optimal functionality of the game. If that is the case, and that is something to confirm with the game developers, the game will not run properly while using the Intel® graphics controller:

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features/forza-horizon-5-release-date-pc-system-requirements-price-india-size-review-xbox-game-pass-one-series-x-2601815

Still, since you mentioned the game runs well on your other laptop, we will now do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello hsode345, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, we are aware of this issue and it is already assigned to our driver team for investigation under bug ID 14015563267.

So, we will be posting updates as they become available on this thread but, at this point, we will need to wait for a new graphics driver. 

Based on those details, we also wanted to check if you agree for us to close this case to avoid duplication? Since from our side, we will need to wait for the driver team to provide a new driver release, and unfortunately, there is no ETA as of when it will become available:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
hsode345
New Contributor I

Thank you for the update! It's good to hear that the issue is being investigated and hopefully eventually fixed.

You can close this issue to avoid duplication, sure! I'll check for driver updates as they get released.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

hsode345, You are very welcome, thank you very much for your response.

"I'll check for driver updates as they get released", perfect, excellent, that will be the best thing to do at this point for this scenario.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
hsode345
New Contributor I

I can confirm that the latest driver version 30.0.101.1191 (released on 14 Dec, 2021) fixes the most apparent glitch that causes the whole screen to flicker with bright colors. There are some small "flares" of light that kind of seem related, but they appear in smaller sections of the screen.

So the game is now more or less playable with my laptop (Irix Xe). There are still graphics issues, but they are much more minor and should be discussed elsewhere. The devs probably know about them already.

A big thank you for the driver team, great job!

0 Kudos