Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

From whom should I install the latest graphics drivers, intel or my device manufacturer (HP)

CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

Yes I am caught in a dilemma because I am unshure to who I should point. I have intel iris xe integrated graphics, but my laptops manufacturer is HP. To who must I go to install the latest graphics driver?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Go to HP.  It is their laptop.  If they say to install their driver, then install their driver.   If they say it is ok to use the generic Intel driver, then install the intel driver.

Pretty simple.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

But thats just it, they are unbelievably disorganized, one " expert" gave me a link to install nvidea graphics drivers... and when I go online saying latest HP graphics drivers it takes me to this link where it repeatedly tells me to install audio drivers, network drivers, I did this once, yet the site still tells me " drivers available for your device". This is after installing everything that they recommended to me. Im not even sure there were any graphics drivers listed as I saw nothing of the sort named that way

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"they are unbelievably disorganized,"

Sorry, not my problem.  Next time, do not purchase HP equipment.

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

Since you are not willing to help, I hope you can pass this on to an official Intel technician

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do you want me to call HP for you?   Come on now...   You are exploiting the Intel forums merely because you cannot contact HP and Intel is the only one responding to you.  

Get on the phone and call HP.  You paid them for support when you purchased your laptop.  Make them support you.

If you cannot, then just install the Intel generic driver and hope for the best.

But, most importantly, learn to help yourself.

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

Ok I had enough, should I just install this driver version from intel instead. Hp doesnt care about their customers, I am repeatedly sent to a link where there are multiple driver updates available, but none of them graphics drivers.

Should I install this graphics driver version, intel says it is compatible with my graphics card:

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @CHAMELEON

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will gladly assist you here. 

Please be aware that Intel® DSA was made for products manufactured by Intel, such as Intel® NUCs and you have a third-party system. 

We recommend checking with your System Manufacturer and use the driver software provided by them to avoid potential installation incompatibilities. Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers might have changed the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I
Thank you for the prompt response Jocelyn, the issue is I don't see any option on the links HP provides of graphics driver updates. Thus the only option is to go with intel's graphics driver updates, seeing as at least with you guys there are drivers for each category unlike HP that bundles everything together forcing you to download other drivers.
0 Kudos
3Fees
New Contributor I

Hi:

I'd go ahead and try and install it. All the major laptops Mfgs. release drivers with the products they sell and have them on the  website support area, the problem is they don't update these drivers after that, they do update bios for a while then stop.

Hp has there own drivers in their HP executables and they dont update drivers after the release. HP is notorious for whitelisting  hardware, which means it has to be theirs or items they have configured in the bios which is in their support manual, which is not the case here.

When you install the Intel graphics driver and if it wont install, google replacing oem drivers with generic drivers, there are a few videos that show this and it works, I have watched these and they are informative.

Before installing the Intel graphic driver update create a restore point.

My MSI laptop downloads drivers directly from Intel driver and support assistant and its update. Intel, MSI, and Hynix are birds of the same feather.

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

I agree, but I am caught in the middle here, they have this website of theirs where they have your system scanned to see its hardware and device name and version. The issue is this then after takes you to their driver updates available, good, here is where it is just plain dumb, they instead of issuing you driver's by category, force down your throat other drivers you have already installed. Drivers like Bluetooth and network drivers, audio drivers etc. Worse still, the bloody site thinks you are out of date over and over again, hence why when after your system is scanned it will literally reshow you the whole list of drivers you need...again.

This is extremely confusing to your average Joe, what we're they thinking.

I will definitely take my chances with intels drivers, because HP is seriously disorganized

And I shall try the system restore point. I'm on windows 11.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel recommends that you stick with the drivers from the manufacturer, especially for graphics, because the manufacturer often customizes these packages for special features of their laptops. Overwriting with the Intel generic driver packages will wipe out these customizations, resulting in features that do not work and/or overall laptop instability. You should only use the generic driver package from Intel if the manufacturer tells you that there are no customizations included in their packages.

If the manufacturer is providing customized packages, then they are responsible for providing you with validated updates (yes, validated by them, on their platforms) when they are released by Intel. Many of the manufacturers refuse to do this. They say it costs them too much money. Fact is, this is baloney. You paid them for this support in the cost of your laptop. They simply wanted to pocket this money instead of doing the job. They imitate the slimeball auto dealers who run their garages on a for-profit basis, running their support organizations on a for-profit basis as well.

Off my soapbox now...

...S

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I
Thank you Scott, I will ask them if there are "no customizations included in their packages". But if I get no response like I do already, I have no choice but to go the intel route.

How reliable is the intel support tool? Or the arc control panel.
0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @CHAMELEON 

We understand your point of view, however, you have an OEM system (Original Equipment Manufacturer) that was customized by them in hardware and software matters, which is why it is always recommended to use their driver software. 

Intel supplies generic versions of Graphics Drivers for general purposes. You can try these drivers, however, we cannot guarantee that will be compatible with your system since you have an OEM system that is customized. 

Also, as previously mentioned, the Intel® DSA was designed for products manufactured by Intel, we recommend using the Driver assistant from your OEM or downloading the drivers from the Download Center if you are looking for a specific driver to avoid confusion. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

Yes hello

So I went ahead and downloaded, installed the drivers listed on hp's website, all 16 of them. What I don't understand is when I check the intel arc control panel it says driver version 31.0.101.4369, this is the latest version for my graphics card type. The confusement is that I would presume HP has older dated driver versions available for installation, or am I over thinking this?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

How reliable is IDSA? Well, if you go by the number and variety of posts regarding problems with it that you see appearing here in the Intel Community, you would think that it is very unreliable. I have it running on over a dozen Intel NUC systems and a couple of PCs and I have yet to see it fail. The 'but' with my statement is covered below.

For starters, you should read these web pages:

The most important takeaways from this are:

• You need to ensure, before installing IDSA, that you have installed the Chipset Device Software (a.k.a. INF Update) and Intel Management Engine packages. I also recommend installing any processor support packages, such as the Serial IO driver package,  that are offered.
  • There is a pretty significant list of items that are excluded from support by IDSA. During your system setup, I recommend installing every package that your motherboard/system/laptop manufacturer is making available (well, except that for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST); only install this package if you are using an Optane Module/SSD or you plan to set up a RAID array).
  • Do not rely on Windows Update to setup your system properly for you. Not seeing any missing drivers or errors in Windows Device Manager is NOT a reason to skip installing all of the packages provided. Install them all.
  • Since IDSA will not inform you of updates to these excluded packages, you need to manually check for updates somewhat regularly. Do not rely on Windows Update keeping all of these packages up to date either. Regularly check for your manufacturer posting updated driver packages and check for your manufacturer making BIOS updates available.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Only the paranoid survive.

0 Kudos
CHAMELEON
New Contributor I

Yes hello

So I went ahead and downloaded, installed the drivers listed on hp's website, all 16 of them. What I don't understand is when I check the intel arc control panel it says driver version 31.0.101.4369, this is the latest version for my graphics card type. The confusement is that I would presume HP has older dated driver versions available for installation, or am I over thinking this?

Mr. Paranoid

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Provided the motherboard/system/laptop vendor has authorized it, Windows Update could step in and overinstall a newer version. This should be (if they didn't screw up) an indicator that the drivers they provided do not contains any customizations.

Make your decisions based upon operation. If the current driver set isn't displaying any issues and the system is doing what you want,  don't worry, be happy.

...S

0 Kudos