Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Full screen "blinking" on NUC after upgrading to 27.20.100.8587 drivers

flyer590
Novice

Hi, I have an Intel NUC (NUC7I5BNH) with Iris Plus Graphics 640 connected to an LG C8 OLED TV via HDMI, running at 3840x2160@60Hz.  

Yesterday I updated to the 27.20.100.8587 graphics drivers and now I experience full screen "blinking" (where the entire screen goes black for 1-2 seconds) approximately once per minute - sometimes more often, sometimes less.

I was not experiencing this issue prior to upgrading drivers. I also noticed when trying to capture the issue using the Xbox Game Bar that the issue does not occur when screen recording is taking place.

I have attached output from DxDiag and Intel SSU.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
flyer590
Novice

I changed the refresh rate to 30 Hz at 4K and I don't see the issue occurring now. Is it possible that my HDMI cable is unable to handle 4K @ 60 Hz? I thought I was running that before the driver update but maybe I'm wrong.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @flyer590 

1. Pure quality HDMI cable can cause such "out of sync" problems. This an example of 4K HDMI cable.

2. You may downgrade your driver to the previously installed version and check if the latest driver is causing your problem.

3. You didn't specified what is your monitor model. Is it capable to display 4K video at 60Hz?

Leon

0 Kudos
flyer590
Novice

Thanks, I tried downgrading to the previous driver version (8476) and that shows the same issue so I suspect it is the HDMI cable. I will look at ordering one that is able to support faster speeds.

My NUC is connected to an LG C8 OLED which does support 4K @ 60Hz.

flyer590
Novice

Hi, just an update on this. I ordered these AmazonBasics HDMI cables which say they support 4K @ 60Hz:
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B01H7M6YKI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, I am seeing the same issues with these cables - I am unable to run it at greater than 30 Hz without seeing sync issues (also HDR must be switched off or the sync issues get worse).

It seems to point to something other than the cable being the issue. Is there anything else I can try? Previously I was on a non-DCH driver, is it possible to downgrade to that?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @flyer590 

You should be able to downgrade your Graphics Driver. First open Device Manager and uninstall the currently installed driver (check the "Delete the driver software..."  option. Reboot your computer. You should see now Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver in the Device Manager. Now you can install the Legacy Driver.

In case that you will decide to go back to the DCH driver, follow that same path (i.e. uninstall the Legacy Driver first).

Leon

0 Kudos
flyer590
Novice

Thanks. I tried rolling back to the previous driver I was using which is much older (24.20.100.6286). I don't see the HDMI sync issue as often now but it does still occur from time to time.

I checked the data sheet for my NUC and it says the maximum supported resolution when using HDMI is 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, 24 bpp. I am running at 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, 24 bpp which my TV and HDMI cable support.

Is there anything else I can try to help diagnose the issue?

0 Kudos
Artemiris
Beginner

This issue occurs with my SkyLake laptop too but way more aggressively. What happens is that explorer.exe will continuously restart over and over every 1-2 seconds with the driver installed. (different from a repeating black screen)

My solution was basically to use the 2nd most recent Intel driver to resolve the issue. (27.20.100.8476)

Attached are the DxDiag and SSU output (with 2nd most recent driver installed) just in case it proves useful

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello flyer590,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

Please try the below troubleshooting steps:

It's possible that Microsoft saved the information of the previous driver, so we will perform a clean installation.

1. Download the latest drivers validated on your NUC, version 24.20.100.6286 
  2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel Programs and Features. 
  4. Restart the computer. 
  5. Confirm in Device Manager Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  7. Install the DCH drivers that were downloaded on step 1
  8. Restart the computer. 
  9. Reconnect to the Internet. 

• Use straight connections, HDMI* to HDMI*.

Update the HDMI* Firmware on your Intel* NUC.

1. Download the HDMI Firmware Update Tool for NUC7i3BN, NUC7i5BN, NUC7i7BN
  2. Find the installation instructions on the User Guide

Please, let us know the outcome.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello @Artemiris,

Thank you for posting on this thread.

As you are not using the same system, the issue may not be the same and the steps we should provide will be different. We encourage you to open a new thread so we can assist you with accurate support for your specific system.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello flyer590,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello flyer590,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos