Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20771 Discussions

Graphic Driver 31.0.101.2111

taykur
Beginner

When this driver is installed by the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, it is overwritten after a reboot by Windows Update with Version 31.0.101.1999. Why isn't it recognized as the newest version by Windows Update? Is there any way to end this never-ending loop?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is not recognized because of poor communication between Intel and Microsoft.

That said, you can block/hide the older driver and stop this loop by using the Microsoft wushowhide utility:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/53184.show-or-hide-updates-utility-fixing-automatic-installation-of-a-problematic-update-in-windows-10-version-1903.aspx

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
taykur
Beginner

Thanks for your prompt reply, unfortunately it will not let me download the tool securely. I even tried navigating to the Download Center myself.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It should let you download it.  Nevertheless, see attached:

0 Kudos
taykur
Beginner

Thanks. That let me use it, but it reports that there are no updates to hide. Will it let me hide it the next time it tries to update?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Update to 2111.  Then, after the restart, run wushowhide.  Do not do windows update until  after you block/hide 1999.

jackacnt
Beginner

Thank you for the postings. I updated to 2111, rebooted, and ran the hide tool. The hide tool messages were a little inaccurate. Windows Update seems to not reload the old graphics driver.

Thanks again, Doc

0 Kudos
taykur
Beginner

So far it has not tried to install 1999 again so I haven't had the chance to hide it. This is after installing the old driver several times. Thanks for the fix in case it does.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello taykur,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the graphics update.

Please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello taykur,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
WebShaun
Beginner

I can confirm this is an issue.  After updating to 31.0.101.3413, Windows Update reverts to 30.0.101.1371.  It's not offered as an optional update.  It forces the installation.  I'm stuck on 30.0.101.1371 until this is resolved.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello taykur, 

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

I recommend you check with Microsoft to disable the automatic updates.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos