Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Graphic chipset 620 - external monitor keeps blinking / display glich

fvoiron
Beginner

Hi support,

Computer = Asus X540UV with an HD graphic 620 Chipset (see SSU scan attached fle).

Problem : when connecting an external display through HDMI port, the external display keeps blinking / switching to black for short period of time which makes it practically unsuable. The internal display keeps working fine.

I have tested 2 different external displays that behave the same (HP and FoxSpirit). The HP display GUI sometime gives an error "signal out of range" when the problem occurs.

Problem sensitivities are as follow:

a/ more stable with low defintion like 720P TV screen,

b/ is temporarly resolved (for some hours or days) when re-starting the driver from the control pannel,

c/ is not sensitive to refesh frequency nor display resolution.

d/ is getting worst on most recent pilot = 27.20.100.9466

I would really appreciate any support your can provide to get that fixed.

Cheers

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

fvoiron, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

How many monitors are connected to the system?

What is the model of the monitor(s)?

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the monitor(s) to the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
fvoiron
Beginner
Is this a new computer?
FV : 3 years old laptop
Was it working fine before?
FV : On the ASUS laptop, I would say about 2 years ago the problems with HDMI started (internal display has no problem - only external through HDMI). I though for 2 years that the problem was the external display itself. It used to be an HP24E external display that I have changed for a FoxSpirit PGM270. The problem persists on the new display with same symptoms.

Both displays tested on a DELL computer with NVIDIA graphic card are working fine.

FYI, I have a Lenovo ThinkPad at work with same intel 620 / windows 10 that has the exact same problem. This one got tested on Philips  external display (277E6E) and both HP and FoxSpirit as above and is confirmed with same issue on the 3 displays.

When did the issue start?
FV : I would say about 2 years ago. However the problem get worst with recent drivers.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?
FV : 0 HW changes on both computers. I have been swapping several INTEL driver version. Update 27-20100-9470 is very unstable.
Earlier version 27-20100-8661 (Sept 20) seems to generate less occurrence of the problem. I have not tested all the other.

How many monitors are connected to the system?
FV : 1x laptop internal display (that is doing fine) and the external display (any of above) connected through HDMI.
What is the model of the monitor(s)?
FV : see above
Are you using adapters or converters to connect the monitor(s) to the computer?
FV : nop, only HDMI cables. I've tried different cables with no results.
Which Windows* version are you using?
FV : Windows 10 Famille / version 20H2 /build 19042.985 / experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0.

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

FV : the current case (ASUS) is private and the othe case (LENOVO) is professional.
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

vfvoiron, Thank you very much for providing that information.

After checking the SSU report, we can confirm that the Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 27.20.100.9466 is the one currently installed on your system.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in ASUS web site and the graphics driver they have available is version V23.20.16.4973.03, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the link below:

https://www.asus.com/supportonly/X540UV/HelpDesk_Download/

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

We also have a Beta Intel® Generic Graphics driver version on our website 27.20.100.9616, for testing purposes, you can also try a clean installation of that driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30500/Intel-Graphics-BETA-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Additionally, we suggest to get in contact directly with ASUS to confirm that the latest BIOS version is installed or to gather the instructions on how to do a BIOS update to the latest version. 

https://www.asus.com/support/

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results of trying the steps above.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

vfvoiron, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
fvoiron
Beginner

Hi,

For the ASUS case, I checked the BIOS that is indeed the latest version as per ASUS site (V303).

I tried both HD 620 drivers = V23.20.16.4973.03 as per ASUS site and most recent 27.20.100.9616 as per intel site.

I tried several procedures for clean install (i.e. according microsoft site instructions and using DDU.exe).

However none of those combinations did solve the glitch/blinking problem.

At best I can say the occurence of the problem is much lower with 27.20.100.9616 : like one occurence / 5min whereas it is catastrophic with earlier versions (i.e. so frequent that using the external screen is almsot impossible...).

Does that help to identify a cause ? Any other recommendation to get the problem solved ?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi vfvoiron, Thank you very much for sharing those results.

We are sorry to hear the problem persists, but we are glad to know "the occurence of the problem is much lower".

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
fvoiron
Beginner

Hi Albert,

One last indication that might help you in finding the root-cause : the external display instability only shows-up when I'am using the extend display but NEVER with the duplicate display.

If you would need me to perform other testing just let me know.

Regards

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi vfvoiron, Thank you very much for sharing those updates.

"If you would need me to perform other testing just let me know", perfect, thank you very much for that, we really appreciate it.

We will continue with our research and if there are further suggestions that we might have for you to try, I will let you know on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi vfvoiron, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we determine that this sounds more like a hardware issue with the computer itself. By any chance, do you have the option to test a different port on the laptop? 

Additionally, after backing up all the important information you might have on your system, we suggest to try a clean installation of the operating system to rule out a possible problem with it:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you get the opportunity, please let us know the outcome of the steps above.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello vfvoiron, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos