Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Graphic problem with power plan

KTran9
Beginner

Hi.

I'm running Windows 7 with Intel HD Graphic 3000 latest driver. The screen flickering every few seconds when i'm playing game. It look likes the same error "Display driver stopped working and has recovered", but there're no pop-up error in my case.

I discovered the problem occurs when i set the power plan to balance or high performance mode. In power saver mode, the issue gone, but that cause unstable and low FPS (sometimes it's up to ~60 FPS, sometimes <15 FPS).

Things i have tried:

- Reinstall driver with different versions.

- Update BIOS.

- Reinstall Windows

- Try another AC adapter and battery.

- Try another power outlet.

- Set the power plan in graphic control panel to maximum performance.

- Reinstall games.

I checked the temperature and it's not overheating (about 50-60 degree), checked all hardware with diagnostic tool and everything is fine. I really have no idea how to fix this problem.

Does any one have an explanation and a solution to make it working again ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Khiem,

Thank you for joining the Graphics community.

We would have to look deeper into this behavior, this in order to find a way to address it. Please provide the information below:

• Computer model.
  • Intel® HD Graphics driver version installed. Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
KTran9
Beginner

Computer model: Dell Latitude XT3 (Intel Core i3-2330M CPU 2.20GHz)

Driver version: 9.17.10.4229

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/118004 Khiem, thanks for this information.

I noticed that you have the latest driver available from our end, so I would like to know if you have tested the version provided by your computer manufacturer. This is the version from Dell's site: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=R6KMF&fileId=2731103754&osCode=W764&productCode=latitude-xt3&languageCode=en&categoryId=VI Intel GMA HD 3000 (NB), GMA HD 2000 (NB), v.8.15.10.2418, A01 Driver Details | Dell US

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
KTran9
Beginner

It's just an very old driver. I tried and it made my computer totally freeze instead of crashing driver only. i must hold the power button to force shut down. Maybe you don't notice that i have tried with different versions of driver.

Just some edit for my original post to make it more clear: There was a popup "Display driver stopped working and has recovered" if the power plan is set to "Balance" and "High performance" when running any games. I don't think it's about driver issue. It works normally on power saver mode and that make me think if there're something wrong with power supply for the IGP (i'm not sure). That's why i tries replacing the AC Adapter and power outlet. I would glad if you can help with some research for this behavior.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, I understand.

In this case if the driver provided by your computer manufacturer caused a freeze issue my recommendation is to get in contact with Dell support, the driver version you tested is the customized for your particular computer model so it should work. The "Display driver stopped working and has recovered" behavior is related to the graphics version, normally it's fixed updating to the latest graphics driver available; however, if you would like to replace the AC Adapter and power outlet I recommend contacting Dell. Their support could help providing the right considerations for this replacement.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
KTran9
Beginner

I got this. But my laptop model is quite old so there're no more drivers support provided from Dell.

Since this issue just appeared recently, it was worked normally before and i hadn't made any changes to the system, is it possible to be hardware issue ? I'm really confused because every solutions i found for this problem is reinstall driver and i tried like a hundred of times..I also don't see any signs that it's a faulty graphic processor in normal use.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It could be a compatibility matter with the game and the driver, but I do not believe this is a hardware issue. Since you tested several drivers the best chance at this stage is to get in contact with Dell and see if the could have a different driver version available. You could also use their community support: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/ Support Forums - Dell Community

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos