Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20824 Discussions

HD 4000 "Quantization Range" setting

idata
Employee

It appears impossible the get the 'Quantization Range' setting to stick at 'Full'. After a reboot, or even after hibernating, the quantization range will return to 'Limited'. This is on a PC running Windows 8 using the HDMI output.

From what I've read on this and other forums this has been an issue for at least 14 months now.

Watching video on a high quality display with a color range limited to 16-235 is not a very pleasant experience.

Anyone come across a fix, or have we just learned to live with it?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Marcos_U_Intel
Employee

Hello,

At this point the Quantization range setting to stick at full is an expected behavior since every time a reboot, or even after hibernating the computer recognize it as a hardware change.

So far there is no fix or work around, but we are aware of the situation.

Regards,

Michael

idata
Employee

Thanks for your feedback, Michael.

Hopefully you guys can push this issue up the ladder and come up with a fix.

I would be happy if the default quantization range was set to full instead of limited.

These days I don't really see the value of running with a limited range as the default, given how CRTs and plasma screens are really on the decline and most people would likely want to enjoy the deep blacks of their high end LCDs, or perhaps even an OLED

- Espen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Relax, it's only been almost a year since this issue was reported to intel. It's great that they are finally "aware" of the issue though!

Intel's programmers should be able to solve such a simple issue in less than a week. If anything, they could offer a feature at installation that selects the default setting to be full or limited. This is a really simple thing to fix, but as you can see Intel doesn't care about its users. Funny how their competitors do not have such simple bugs in their drivers yet it sounds like they are trying to blame it on windows. Makes me think twice about buying another intel product!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well, it seems Intel are "aware" of the issue but it does not appear to have a high priority on their to-do list

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

LOL. Indeed.

On nvidia it's a reg key. The MADVR project comes with a tool to set it (it has to be set per-screen, device) or you can hack up the install INF for the driver. But either way you can make it work, getting full range on HDMI.

As long as this issue persists Intel GPUs are useless for serious home theater use. The newbs might not care but folks willing to drop real money on a PC in the living room do.

I've got a DH77DF board. Billed as a "media series" board. It sucks at media.

Step up your game, Intel. Seriously. Get with the program here. You're two bug fixes away from having a great media solution for enthusiasts.

1- Add a feature to the driver, exposed via the control panel to enable full range RGB via HDMI. It's a check box. Do it.

2- Fix your bug where the driver ignores DXVA2_NominalRange as passed in via videoprocessblt. Seriously. You ignore calls from DX? How that passes WHQL is beyond me.

3- Bonus: fix your bug where video decode results in a black screen in Media Center if the content is H.264 and protected via CableCard tuner.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Ian Kennedy 

I've been screaming for a "black screen in Media Center if the content is H.264 and protected via CableCard tuner" FIX for a while now and it seems Intel is too busy cashing in to actually fix the bugs they have created with their questionable drivers. If you search both the OP's issue and the issue you spoke about via # 3 it's amazing how many post have multiple people complaining about these two issues and yet most post do not have ONE reply from an Intel Rep. I am a huge supporter of Intel Products but these two issues are getting ignored by the driver developers while they produce new products that have the same issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any progress on the RGB levels issue? HD 4000 works great except for this. We need to be able to select 0-255 or 16-235.

0 Kudos