Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

HD 4400: Can't turn off "Maintain Display Scaling"

EEzek
Beginner

Hello there,

I recently bought a laptop and notice that "Maintain Display Scaling" continuously messes up applications. Some examples:

-Any application with a resolution lower than native (1920x1080) results in the application being stretched to full screen at whatever resolution it was set at. At this point all sorts of issues crop up, from mouse positions being in the wrong location to display issues.

-Using Fullscreen on some applications with any resolution lower than native results in no resolution change. Instead you are given a window of the same size as the resolution you set the application at with the remaining space being taken up by a black border.

Both issues can be fixed by manually going to the application .exe properties and dickering with scaling options there. While this works it also means that it needs to be done for every single application.

These are highly disruptive issues and a constant annoyance. I'd like to turn "Maintain Display Scaling" off but there's not option to do so unless I change the laptop resolution to non-native, which completely defeats the purpose of this in the first place.

Does anyone know of a way to disable this, maybe in some sort of settings file somewhere?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

The Intel video driver does not allow disabling "maintain aspect ratio" feature. The only option is to choose lower screen resolution.

You may try to check with your computer manufacturer for any customized driver for your computer model.

Allan.

MPari5
Beginner

Hello allan why do we see the option is checked if we cannot uncheck it???

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the information.

There are couple of options you can choose when working with monitor's native resolution. See picture below:

Then, you will find some other options when working with non-native screen resolution:

I am afraid, there is no "uncheck "option.

Allan.

0 Kudos
JTerr5
Novice

This is honestly the most annoying bug in the software. Any time you create a custom resolution at 4:3, you have NO OPTION to maintain aspect ratio. It's complete crap. The driver always decides to stretch full screen.

Please make this the # 1 thing to fix. Make it so we can MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO for custom resolutions.

I'm purposely bumping all aspect ratio questions so you programmers know how serious of an issue this is.

Also fix the limited 60hz problem for monitors that can go to 120hz. That's another huge bug.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This problem has been reported here: /thread/51712 Where is "maintain aspect ratio" for Intel HD 4000 on Windows 8.1?

Allan.

0 Kudos
RGabr
Novice

I can confirm that the latest 3960 driver DOES NOT fix this issue for me. Please make this a higher priority. It has been known for 6 months.

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

Please checkout newest driver posted for Haswell/Broadwell product generations (Intel HD Graphics 4200/4400/4600/5000 + Iris 5100 and Iris Pro 5200 + Intel HD Graphics 5300, 5500, 6000, Iris 6100, Iris Pro 6200):

- NEW- Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Driver update posted for Haswell and Broadwell version 15.36.21.4222">

All scaling options will be available at all times and are "sticky" (orthogonal to currently selected resolution). In addition, there is an option for applications that go to "full screen exclusive" mode to allow forcing scaling to match your preference for desktop modes (e.g. full screen vs maintain aspect ratio vs centered...) Does this address your issue?