Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

HD 520 flickering with latest drivers

Andrius
Novice

Hi, I’m facing issues using latest graphic drivers 27.20.100.8778 on Dell latitude 7470. Screen flickers, downgrade of drivers does not help, have anyone faced something similiar?

Issue goes away if using “dummy” ms driver.
Using Win Pro 64 bit
Version 2004
OS build 19041.508

0 Kudos
23 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is a laptop. Laptops often have their drivers modified to support special features like focus and brightness adjustment. If the laptop has a dual-graphics solution, there is an even higher chance that the drivers have been modified to support the two solutions working together. As a result, I suggest that you return to the most-recent set of drivers that HP provided and see if they alleviate the problem.

...S

0 Kudos
Andrius
Novice

Hi @n_scott_pearson ,

thanks for Your input on this

this is Dell Latitude. And I have used latest drivers from Intel (27.20.100.8783) as well as from Dell, I still face issues.

If I use generic driver provided by MS it works, or if I do force install HD 600 (26.20.100.7262) it works as well (except I can't start HD Graphics Control Panel by Intel). 

Regards, Andrius

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Can you post a video showing this flickering? People overuse the 'flickering' description for so many phenomena that I need to actually see what it is doing.

...S

0 Kudos
Andrius
Novice
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not seeing anything. At what point in the video is it happening?

...S

0 Kudos
Andrius
Novice
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ah. That's not flickering. That's a data glitch and a tear. Still, it is something that shouldn't be occurring.

@Ronny_G_Intel - can you get the team to look at this?

...S

Andrius
Novice

Sorry for wrong naming, pls contact me if you need any additional info.

Thank You

0 Kudos
Andrius
Novice

Adding one more video

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Andrius,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the below information:

• Does the issue the start just after the driver update?
  • Provide the specific versions of the drivers you tested.
  • Are you able to test an external display? Please, let us know if the issue persists (provide a video if possible)

Please run the following tools in and attach the reports generated.

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

• Intel® SSU Download
  • Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View". 
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save". 

Provide the Intel* Graphics Command Center report:

>Go to the Intel Graphics Command Center

>Support

>System Diagnostic

>Generate report.

>Attach the report file.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Andrius
Novice

Hi @Maria_R_Intel 

• Does the issue the start just after the driver update?
    Totally fresh install of Windows PRO 2004, and latest driver install
  • Provide the specific versions of the drivers you tested.
    Here is a list which driver versions I've tried:

• Are you able to test an external display? Please, let us know if the issue persists (provide a video if possible)

Yes, I;ve tested it. No glitch or tear on both screens (using Duplicate on both). Glitch (tears )starts only when I disconnect HDMI cable, but if HDMI is connected both screens are OK.

Regarding logs, I could provide you those, but not in public forum, since it contains Dell Tag, as well as some serial numbers.

Thank You

Regards, Andrius

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Andrius,

Thank you for the information.

Regarding the reports, we totally understand, I will send you a private message, please attach the reports to when you respond to it.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Andrius
Novice
0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Andrius,

Thank you for the information.

I would like to check this internally, I'll post back on this thread as soon as I have more details to share.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Andrius,

Thank you for patiently waiting. After checking this internally we found some steps that may help you with the issue, please check them below:

1. Change the refresh rate of the display.
  2. Go to BIOS (Basic Input Output System) and load the default settings to perform any BIOS changes to contact the motherboard manufacturer. (Dell*)
  3. Test the processor using the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

As per the previous steps performed we think that the issue may be with the hardware, this because the issue disappears when you connect an external display through HDMI*. Why?

• Graphis portion of the processor
  • The screen itself of the laptop, because at once you connect to an external monitor the connection becomes stable
  • To confirm this and if the issue persists after the troubleshooting performed, please contact the Laptop Manufacturer.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Andrius
Novice

Hi @Maria_R_Intel , highly doubt that it is HW issue. Installed latest Beta drivers (GFX Driver Version: 27.20.100.8873) no more issues.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Andrius,

I am so glad to hear that!

Keep in mind that you are using a BETA driver, BETA drivers are provided just for testing and are not stables versions. However, is the base we use to develop our next stable version.

If you agree, I can let this thread open in case the issue came back or to test the new stable version that we hope to have soon available for our customers.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Andrius,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Let me know if you need more assistance. 

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Andrius,

We want to know if by any chance do you test the newest driver, version 27.20.100.8853? This is a stable version which includes the improvements we tested on the previous BETA driver you were using 27.20.100.8873. 

Please, we encourage you to test this driver and install it with a clean installation:

1. Download the latest DCH drivers and save them on the computer: 
  1. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 
  2. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel Programs and Features. 
  3. Restart the computer. 
  4. Confirm in Device Manager Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 
  5. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager
    1. Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 
    2. In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 
    3. Click on 'Uninstall'
    4. Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 
  6. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1
  7. Restart the computer. 
  8. Reconnect to the Internet. 

Please, let us know the outcome, any feedback will be appreciated. 

Best regards,
Maria R.

0 Kudos
Andrius
Novice

Hi @Maria_R_Intel 

I am sorry to reply I still face issues,

But I did find a "workaround", (not the best but, at least it works without any issues) 

I downloaded drivers from Microsoft Catalog and it works, no issues at all
Device manager shows that it is 26.20.100.7262 version

0 Kudos