Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
21076 Discussions

HD 530+HDMI overscan problem

LDoni1
Beginner

With all the last driver packages (today 15.40.4530 beta package too, on a Win 10 64 system) I got an overscan problem using a HDMI connection to a PC monitor with native resolution of 1920x1080.

Put it simply, in some games the image is stretched OVER the monitor borders. I think because the driver switches to the interlaced mode for the monitor maximum resolution (it doesn't happen forcing lower resolution such as 1680x1050 / 1600x900 / etc. ONLY for 1920x1080)

I really would test the HD 530 as gaming GPU but this issue is unnerving: I must switch everytime to a lower resolution to avoid the overscan!

The DVI connection of the same monitor is already used by another GPU, please don't ask me to try DVI

0 Kudos
18 Replies
LDoni1
Beginner

Up!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello hekoone,

Check "Why can I see the center of the Windows* desktop, but not the top, bottom, and sides?" in the following link http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005502.html Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Intel® Graphics and Televisions . You will be able to manually adjust the size of the screen, which should help you with this issue.

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LDoni1
Beginner

Thanks but the problem appears only in-game (not in Windows Desktop nor windowed borderless fullscreen applications, only in EXCLUSIVE fullscreen applications). The monitor automatically activate the Overscan mode.

I would simply avoid this.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's seems like is related to the game itself. What is the name of the game?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LDoni1
Beginner

It's related to many games, typically the games using the old exclusive fullscreen mode (not the borderless fullscreen mode nor acquiring the resolution/sync frequency of the Windows Desktop).

My monitor (seen as "digital television" thanks to HDMI) has the possibility to switch off the overscan through its menu options but:

1) the pixel mapping feels "wrong" / unproper nonetheless

2) it's unnerving to have to hit everytime the switch

I know HDMI is *NOT* the best option to connect a PC monitor but this issue is really common with other GPU vendors too, and I can't accept it is not globally solved after so many years (by Intel, NVidia, AMD, etc.) of HDMI on the market.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What are the names of the games?

The games scaling issue is resolved with this driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26078/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40], please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

See here for more information ,

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LDoni1
Beginner

It's not a scaling issue, scaling is correctly working

It's an OVERSCAN issue related to the HDMI connection and the monitor appearing to the system as a Digital TV (due to HDMI protocol).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What are the names of the games?

0 Kudos
LDoni1
Beginner

Try Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

What is the model of your TV?

Can you check if you can change the overscan setting?

What is your computer and processor model?

I found some interesting information here http://www.howtogeek.com/252193/hdtv-overscan-what-it-is-and-why-you-should-probably-turn-it-off/ HDTV Overscan: What It Is and Why You Should (Probably) Turn It Off, it might help you.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LDoni1
Beginner

Monitor: Philips 234EL

Processor: i3 6300 (+Intel Graphics HD 530)

I have the overscan switch on monitor menu (using an HDMI connection), but as I already said turning it off can solve the "over-the-borders-image" issue BUT the image is still blurred (not perfect-matching pixel mapping?)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hekoone, I would like to let you know that the overscan issue does not happen with the game in our systems, we have ran the game, but the issue is not there.

The only thing missing is to try updating the firmware from your TV, so please check with the manufacturer of your TV for this file.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LDoni1
Beginner

Lastest beta solves the problem!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Great news, thank you for sharing that information.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
LDoni1
Beginner

With DX9 and DX11 applications.

Some DX10 applications still have the problem.

Crysis Wars is a perfect example: in DX9 (-dx9 switch) there's no overscan problem, in DX10 there's the overscan problem. Can you test?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Let me see what I can do.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is there any chance you can test this driver version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26078/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88345 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]? With this test we will be able to check if there is a possible driver regression.

Let me know your findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hekoone, were you able to install the driver mentioned for testing purposes?

Let me know findings.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos