Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

HD 630 suddenly only supports 2 monitors

JGogg
Beginner

I have a Dell OptiPlex 5050 with a 7th Gen i5-7500T -- with the HD 630 video. I'm running Windows 10 Pro (1803). The hardware has two DisplayPorts and one HDMI. I have been running using all three of those ports for the past 6-8 months or so. The DPs are connected to Dell Monitors and the HDMI to a 1080i HDTV. Again, all have been working fine for months.

Today, I ran Windows Update and noticed that I didn't have the option enabled for non-MS updates. I checked that and rescanned for updates and it installed a bunch -- including, I believe, an HD 630 update. After I rebooted, the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel popped up with a message that reads:

"You are attempting to use more displays than your system can support. Press OK and select the displays you want to use."

All three displays are available to pick from, but it only allows me to pick any TWO of them. It suddenly thinks that 3 displays is not supported (even though it is by this CPU/graphics combination and has been working fine for months now).

I checked the driver version and it was 23.20.16.4973 (from 2/28/2018). So, I came here to look and noticed the newer driver (25.20.100.6326). I downloaded it and installed it -- and get the exact same behavior where it only will allow me to use two monitors.

Any advice on where to go from here? I could roll back to some older driver, but I'm not even sure which driver I was running before, unfortunately.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

go back to a restore point prior to today.

Doc

0 Kudos
JGogg
Beginner

Sure, that might get me back up and running temporarily -- but it is more about finding the issue with the newer drivers.

Eventually, I'm going to need to update for something else and then, suddenly, I won't have 3 monitors any more.

So, I'd rather find a fix that works with newer drivers than to forever use an old one.

Also, I did a ton of Windows updates today at the same time. Having to roll back and do those over is not something I'd prefer to do if it can be avoided.

Thanks, though -- worst case, that was already my plan.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

"but it is more about finding the issue with the newer drivers."

Or, what Microsoft did to cause the corruption.

Download, run, and ATTACH the results of this utility. Then, an Intel support engineer can assist you.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

Doc

0 Kudos
JGogg
Beginner

Ok, I'll do that and open a support ticket.

However, just to clarify, all of the updates that were installed between when this worked and stopped working were Intel related, not Microsoft.

So, sure, it could still be MS doing something odd -- they often do. But it could easily be Intel since that is all I updated...

0 Kudos