Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

HD Graphics 520 - HDMI

mgril2
Beginner

Hi everyone, suddenly the HDMI port of my ASUS UN65 PC with i3-6100 processor no longer plays videos, I checked on different monitors with the same result, if I connect remotely the PC works fine and the O.S. Windows 7 does not report hardware problems. Is it possible that the hardware has been damaged without encountering software errors? Can I only repair the HDMI port ??
Thank you

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Check your cables! I have unplugged a cable from one system and plugged it into another and poof, the cable doesn't work anymore. You get what you pay for. I am cheap (my upbringing) and pay the price regularly. Usually, it is the flexing at the connectors that does them in.

...S

0 Kudos
mgril2
Beginner

Dear Scott, thanks for the quick reply, unfortunately the cables work fine, I have tested them with other devices.
Thank you for your answer

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, I have also seen Intel NUCs whose HDMI port has failed - and these cases happened to also involve 6th gen processors (Hhmmm...).

Do you have another connector for graphics? You can use DisplayPort-to-HDMI, etc. adapters to support this same monitor.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @mgril2

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Is this a new system? Were there any recent hardware or software changes that might relate to the point when the issue started? (for instance, Windows®, driver, or software updates?)

2- When you said "HDMI port (...) no longer plays videos", do you mean the issue is only occurring when playing videos (for instance, in full screen?). Or do you mean you don't get any image/video output using HDMI? Please provide details.

3- Are you using a straight-through connection HDMI-to-HDMI with a single cable to connect the display? Or are you using any type of video adapters, converters, or dockings?

4- Based on the product information website for ASUS* VivoMini UN65, it comes with a DisplayPort* (DP) port. Have you tested the DP? Does it work fine?

5- With the HDMI® display connected to the computer, please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link. (We understand that you have remote access to the computer).

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

In regards to the possibility to repair the HDMI® port, usually, this component is usally soldered down to the motherboard and since the integration and design were made by ASUS* our recommendation is to verify this (if possible) with ASUS* Support team, hence, they may provide proper information and set the right expectations.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
mgril2
Beginner

Dear Andrew,
1- the system worked fine for over three years
2- there is no picture or video - no signal
3- HDMI-to-HDMI with a single cable to connect the display
4- i have to try the display port, i don't have the adapter
5- 
see Attachment

Thank you

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mgril2

Thank you for your response.

Checking the Intel® SSU report we noticed that the system is running graphics driver version 20.19.15.4474 which seems to be the customized driver provided by ASUS*. We also noticed that you tested with the Intel® generic driver 21.20.16.5127.

In this case, we would like to recommend trying updating to the latest Intel® generic graphics driver Version: 15.45.34.5174 in order to discard driver-related issues.

If you have troubles updating the driver, or if the issue persists, you may try the manual update method following the steps in this article using the driver provided in the above link: Manually Install an Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows 7*

Also, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine. Please let us know the outcome of the test.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

If the behavior persists, please provide a new Intel® SSU report, and the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers (it seems we are missing this from your last reply). In addition, please kindly let us know in case you are able to test with DisplayPort* (DP) since as n_scott_pearson mentioned, there is a chance that the HDMI® port has failed if the computer is accessible via remote access and DP works fine.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
mgril2
Beginner

Dear Andrew thank you for your response,

I performed the test as recommended, I see no problems (see attachment)
I bought the DP to HDMI adapter and everything works fine, unfortunately, the maximum resolution in this case is only 1920 * 1080.
However, the Intel 520 graphics card does not play movies with resolutions higher than 2k, 4k files are jerky.
Thank you for the time you have dedicated to me

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mgril2

Thank you very much for your response. Please allow us to look into this and we will be posting back as soon as possible. Thank you for your efforts.

Sincerely,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello mgril2

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, this could be related to the HDMI® port itself and our recommendation is to verify this further with your computer manufacturer for further debugging and assistance.

However, this could be also related to an issue at the operating system level. Since the system is running Windows* 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), you can try updating to the latest service pack available (e.g.: SP3).

At this point, the best thing to do is to verify with ASUS* Support.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now from our end. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos