Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

HD Graphics 530 - 1920x1200 not available

HEl-Z
Beginner

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-D3H

Windows Version 10.0.19042.844 (Win10 20H2 October 2020 Update)

CPU:  Intel Core i3-6100

Monitor: NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi

Cable VGA (D-Sub)

Both Windows and the Intel Graphics Command Center are missing the option to set the resolution to this monitor's native 1920x1200. I have 1920x1080 and 2048x1152 and nothing in between.

I tried Custom settings but got "Unable to add settings. Reason: Mode not supported."

Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
HEl-Z
Beginner

Update: Connecting via a DVI cable I get 1920x1200.

I needed to be able to use the D-Sub (VGA) connection because I have KVM switch that only supports VGA. Now if I switch to another computer I have to switch the monitor input as well. 

By the way, the KVM switch is not the problem, I get 1920x1200 over D-Sub from my other computers (with Nvidia boards). It's just the Intel 530 that seemingly does not provide 1920x1200 for the D-Sub connector.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @HEl-Z

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide/confirm the following information?

1- What is the refresh rate that you are setting/trying to achieve with the resolution 1920x1200? For instance: 1920x1200@60Hz?

2- We found this link regarding the monitor: "NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi*", and it says "Some systems may not support

all modes listed". Have you checked with the monitor manufacturer that "1920x1200" + desired refresh rate is supported by your monitor using D-Sub (VGA) connection?

Or on the other hand, when you said "I get 1920x1200 over D-Sub from my other computers", do you mean that if you test the monitor NEC MultiSync LCD2490WUXi with other computers using a straight-through connection (D-Sub-to-D-Sub) with a single cable you get the desired resolution?

3- Is the behavior the same if you connect the monitor to the motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-D3H* using a straight-through connection (D-Sub-to-D-Sub) with a single cable? (no using video/cable adapters, no using KVM switch?)

4- Have you checked if there are firmware/driver updates (.inf files) for your display? Those are required to properly community with the computer/GPU and to properly identify your display and its features.

5- As per the Techincal Specifications for Intel® Core™ i3-6100 Processor and its Intel® HD Graphics 530, its GPU does not come with native Graphics Output of VGA (only eDP/DP/HDMI/DVI). So a special chip in the motherboard might be converting the signal and providing graphics output to VGA. Have you checked with GIGABYTE* support if there are firmware updates for that chip (if available) or for your motherboard?

6- With the monitor connected over VGA, please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link.

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: We will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the Intel® SSU and Graphics report to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
HEl-Z
Beginner
Thank you Andrew.
1. 1920x1200 @60Hz. (the monitor reports 59.9Hz when I have a working connection)
2. The monitor definitely supports 1920x1200 through the D-Sub connector, it does so for other computers connected either directly or through the KVM.
3. Connected directly (bypassing the KVM) I am getting, strangely enough, a maximum resolution of 1680x1050. Attached are some screenshots

4. I have reinstalled the driver for the monitor from https://www.sharpnecdisplays.us/monitor-installer#softwaredownloads/ and as you can see Command Center is reporting the correct monitor model and available resolutions.

5. Gigabyte do not appear to have special firmware for the VGA chip, and I am on the most recent BIOS.

6. The  Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers is attached.
7. I sent the SSU report in a reply to the email I received.

Working solution: I connected an HDMI to D-Sub adapter to the HDMI port on the motherboard and was able to get 1920x1200x59.9 through the KVM.

Attachments area

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello HEl-Z

Thank you very much for all the details and reports provided. Please allow us to look into this and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello HEl-Z

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

After checking this further, we would like to inform you that VGA is not natively supported on this graphics controller, which means the VGA port implemented on the motherboard is done exclusively by the motherboard manufacturer (OEM) and it requires the installation of a chip to convert from Digital to Analog, hence we can't guarantee our drivers will work.

At this point, our best recommendation is to update the BIOS (or check with the OEM for newer BIOS updates if currently running the latest one) and stick with the OEM graphics driver provided by GIGABYTE*.

You can download the OEM GIGABYTE®* driver from this link: Intel VGA Driver Version [1‎00.6518] and if doesn't work then we recommend reporting this to the motherboard manufacturer or use DVI or HDMI.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello HEl-Z

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. Our last recommendation is to report this behavior directly to GIGABYTE* support.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos