Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

(HD Graphics 620) DXVA2 artifacts when rendering H264 content.

spheta
Beginner

I'm getting occasional decoding artifacts on the right side of my screen when using the DXVA2 hardware decoder in media player or MPC-HC. The corruption occurs rarely (1/100000 frames rendered) and only on right side of the window. Has anyone else encountered this?

I might be looking at a hardware fault in the Intel graphics HD 620's media decoding engine "gen9.5" (fault in the fixed function VQE is suspected). I just need to be sure. The problem seems to resolve when I disable the hardware noise reduction post processing filter in Image enhancement (Intel graphics control panel).

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, Thank you for posting on the Intel Community. In order to further assist you with your issue, please share with us the information and reports requested on the following link: https://forums.intel.com/s/feed/0D50P0000490AGdSAM Note: Please provide as much details as you can. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, Thank you for the information provided. Could you also attach the report of the system using the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*? Here's the download link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner

Hi, here you go. I am leaning toward a hardware fault with my system. If the anomaly isn't reproducible in another test unit under the same conditions I wouldn't be surprised. Lenovo so far though seems to be reluctant to admit to a media engine fault in this case.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, Thank you for your response. Please allow me some time to investigate the behavior you're having and I'll be posting back to let you know the outcome. Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner

An update regarding this issue:

I've been able to reproduce this on 2 machines now with the same chipset. I managed to get a hold of a second X1C6 (same specs) to run tests. To my supprise within 10-15 minutes the artifacts occurred on the second system.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello spheta, Thank you for your response. We will take these details into account in order to provide more information about this behavior. We will get back to you soon. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello spheta, We are still working on this issue. Regards, Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, I see on the environment report that you’re running the 25.20.100.6519 driver. Please try the following steps: 1. Uninstall from Windows* apps&features the graphics driver 6519. 2. From the Device Manager, check driver version. If lower than 6444, uninstall it until you get the Microsoft* Basic Display Adapter. 3. Then select update and let the system update it automatically. 4. After performing the prior steps, please try this video: http://jell.yfish.us/media/jellyfish-45-mbps-hd-h264.mkv 5. Are you using any other video player? If yes, do you have the same issue? I hope this helps. Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, I'd like to know if you were able to fix the issue by following the steps provided. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner

Hi, Windows Update installed driver 25.20.100.6472. Artifacting still occurs. The player im using mostly in Media Player Classic. The issues only seems specific to H264 data streams. I've tried dozens of movies (all H264), all have the same effect. I will have to loop the clip you reference and watch it for some time.

0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner

I have also seen it in Windows Media Player (Also uses EVR+dxva). Its very difficult to see with a lot of on screen motion or activity. A dark scene or scrolling credits is best to observe it. It has not been observed in VLC player as it dose its image post processing internally (in software) with internal rendering (no EVR) when using dxva2.

0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner

common encoding parameters for each bit-stream tested:

ideo #1

ID                            : 4113 (0x1011)

Menu ID                       : 1 (0x1)

Format                        : AVC

Format/Info                   : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                : High@L4.1

Format settings               : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames

Format settings, CABAC        : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames     : 4 frames

Codec ID                      : 27

Duration                      : 2 min 3 s

Bit rate mode                 : Variable

Maximum bit rate              : 35.6 Mb/s

Width                         : 1 920 pixels

Height                        : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio          : 16:9

Frame rate                    : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS

Standard                      : NTSC

Color space                   : YUV

Chroma subsampling            : 4:2:0

Bit depth                     : 8 bits

Scan type                     : Progressive

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, Thank you for the updates and the information provided. We are going to continue investigating and I'll be posting back on this thread. Regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, Thank you for your time, Have you tried with the latest driver released by the Original Equipment Manufacturer? If not, here's the download link: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-type-20kh-20kg/20kh/20khcto1ww/pf12d69y/downloads?linkTrack=footer:Support_Downloads NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. Please let us know if the issue is fixed by using the driver that has been tested and validated by Lenovo*. Also, if the issue persists please let us know if it occurs only in one application. Hope this helps, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, I'd like to know if you were able to fix the issue with the steps provided. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner

Im terribly sorry I took long to respond, I was unavailable and attending to another matter over the weekend. The link provided is OEM build 25.20.100.6519 made available a few months ago and is the most current for my machine. This version was tested some time ago and the issue was present unfortunatly.

0 Kudos
Oscar_A_Intel1
Employee
Hello spheta, No problem, we really appreciate the updates. I'd like to know if this issue is only present on one app or multiple? if it's happening on more than one, please specify the name of the apps. Best regards, Oscar A. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
spheta
Beginner

The issue has been reproduced primarily with Media Player Classic-HC and BE, all versions. Windows Media Player has also produced the atifacts.

VLC has also been tested and is fine with no issues. Important to note though, although VLC dose make use of the DXVA2 decoding path, it dose not use the windows enhanced video renderer or any hardware level post processing video enhancments, they are handled internally(software) which explains why the problem is absent.

0 Kudos