Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

HD Graphics 620 - I have attached 2nd monitor via HDMI port, which is 4k and supports 3840x2160 but this resolution is not available in drop down list either 1920x1080 or 3840x4320

MQuir6
Beginner

Why am seeing a resolution of 3840x4320 which as per Intel is not supported on this card!! (not to mention my screen will not go to this resolution). All drivers are up to date.​ I would like to use the 3840x2160 how do we get this to be option?

0 Kudos
24 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is the model number of your device/motherboard?

What version of Windows 10? 1903? 1909?

Doc

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

​Laptop HP  HGV37JGL   Windows 10,  I7 7500 CPU

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Full model number for your HP please.

And, what version of Windows 10?? 1903? 1909? Other?

Doc

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

​Product number Z5D40EA  HP Envoy Notebook,  Windows Version 10.0.18362.476

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I would like to know if you still need further assistance. If yes, could you please provide the following information to take a look into the behavior?

1- Provide screenshots from the window where you are seeing the resolution of 3840x4320 (Windows Display Settings, Intel® HD Control Panel, etc.)

2- Brand and model of the 2nd monitor attached to the computer.

3- Are you using an HDMI® straight-through connection? (no adapters in between?) Please provide details about the current configuration (how the devices are connected to one another)

4- DxDiag* report following these steps:

4.1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

4.2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

4.3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4.4. Open the report.

4.5. Use the option "save all information" to save the .TXT file to your desktop. 

5- Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps in this link.

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

​Sorry for the delay but I have attached the docs you requested.

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

​Not sure If all 3 uploaded so will add submit one at a time

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Thank you for your response.

It is worth mentioning that the Intel Control Panel lists the resolutions supported by the monitor, this information is provided by the monitor through the Raw EDID information (Supported Modes).

The Intel® Graphics Drivers report shows under "Supported Modes" that the monitor supports the resolution currently available at the dropdown list 3840x4320 (30i Hz) and the one you would like to use 3840x2160 (not available at this moment on Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel). The Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor has a Max Resolution for HDMI® 1.4 of 4096x2304@24Hz

In some cases, higher resolutions (4K, 3840x2160) might not be available due to some settings that need to be adjusted on the monitor itself. We recommend you checking the TV settings to see if the option becomes available. If you need further assistance with the TV settings, please contact your TV manufacturer.

Also, you may try the following steps:

A- If possible, please test using a different monitor or test this monitor with a different PC/laptop

B- Please try a clean install of the graphics driver to let Microsoft® install a proper driver:

1- Uninstall the Intel® HD Graphics 620 and the Intel® Graphics Control Panel from Windows® >> Apps and Features.

2- Restart the computer.

3- Confirm in Device Manager >> Video/Display Adapters the controller is listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" >> if not, repeat steps 1 through 2.

4- If the adapter continues to be listed as "Intel HD Graphics" or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under "Apps and Features" for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

4.1- Go to Device Manager, right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

4.2- In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

4.3- Click on 'Uninstall'.

4.4- Restart. (Repeat steps 4.1 through 4.4 until the device gets listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

5- Let Windows® install the proper driver from Device Manager: 

Go to Device Manager >> Video/Display Adapters >> Right-click on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter >> Update driver >> Search automatically for updated driver software.

6- Reinstall the Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel from Microsoft® Store if needed.

C- If the issue persists, please provide me with the following information:

1- The driver version Windows installed:

2- Exact brand and model of the 2nd monitor attached to the computer:

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

I would like to know if you were able to check the suggestions provided in my previous post.

If so, please feel free to share the outcome of the steps and the information requested.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

​Tried all these steps and still only get the option to use 1920x1080 or 3840x4320 (not supported - either by the adapter or the monitor!!)  Driver Version 23.20.16.4973 (20/02/2018)  Intel HD Graphics 620  Monitor is ELECTRIQ -    eiq-244KMHD

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

Thank you for your response,

After checking the information on the reports and according to the specifications from the computer this is HDMI 1.4 output which does not support 3840x2160 @60hz due to bandwidth limitations, it can only do 3840x2160@30hz but this mode doesn't seem to be programmed in your display thus the driver allows the one that it is which is 3840x4320@30hz.

You may try a different video output, if available, from the laptop to the display, for instance, straight-through connection DisplayPort™ to DisplayPort™.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

I would like to know if you were able to check the information in my previous post.

Were you able to test a different video output (for instance DisplayPort™ to DisplayPort™)?

You may also test with a different display (in case you have another one) to see if it supports the resolution you are trying to achieve when using the HDMI® 1.4. Should you have additional inquiries, please let us know.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

Laptop doesn't have a display port so unable to try, I don't have another 4k monitor to try nfortunately. I realise 'duplicate this screen' mode is not using the graphics adapter in the same way but it can out put to the HDMI at 3820x2160 when using this option, its just not an option (which it should be) when you extend.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

We would like to take a look into the behavior, could you please provide a new Intel® Graphics Drivers report with the two displays set in clone mode (duplicate)?

Also, by any chance have you try to adjust any scaling settings on the TV? (if available)

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

Not really any settings to adjust on the monitor, I've attached the report as requested whilst in duplicate mode.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

We have checked the report and it is missing some details we would like to check (mostly due to the clone mode set on Intel® HD Control Panel).

In this case, could you please provide a DxDiag* report with both displays in clone mode so we can check further? We really appreciate your help with this report.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

​Adrew,

Dx report as requested.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello MQuir6,

Thank you for the report provided.

We are still investigating this particular behavior. Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We tried to check further regarding the external display specifications but it seems that using the model number "PDM240UHD" does not return results on the web.

Could you please provide the brand, exact model and part number of the external display or a link as a reference with the specifications from the manufacturer/seller?

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
MQuir6
Beginner

​Model  eiQ-244KMHDR  23.8" LED     Electiq      Link -  https://www.electriq.co.uk/search-results/244kmhdr

SPECS     Screen Size (diagonal) 23.8in   Maximum resolution 3840 x 2160    Refresh Rate 60Hz   Aspect Ratio 16:9

0 Kudos