Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

HD Graphics 620 driver 27.20.100.8854 causes CPU racing with Dell laptop

svs95
Beginner

[Follow-up to https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/HD-Graphics-620-driver-causing-high-CPU-with-Dell-laptop-and-Win/m-p/1274205/thread-id/96290]

I took your word for it and installed the version provided by Dell at https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us?app=drivers, and their version of 27.20.100.8854 has the SAME BUG.

So, now what can Intel do to resolve this serious bug? We can't blame it on using generic Intel drivers anymore.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you are testing with the drivers provided by your laptop vendor, then you need to contact your laptop vendor and ask them what is going on. Presumably they tested their laptop before shipping it and presumably they didn't ignore a problem like this.

At the end of the day, it is probably true that Intel will need to look into this issue -- but, if this issue is reported to Intel by Dell, it will have a lot higher priority and be fixed a lot sooner that it would be when (just) little old you reports it.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
svs95
Beginner

This laptop is not new. The Intel/Dell driver that shipped with it, and all subsequent ones until now have not had this problem. The hardware has not changed. Both the Intel generic and the Intel/Dell version of the 27.20.100.8854 driver are the only ones to have caused the CPU racing. Switching back to 26.20.100.8142 (or any prior driver) solves the problem.

I think perhaps you misread my posts.

Besides, "little ol' me" has no more leverage with Dell than I do with Intel. One supposes BOTH companies have an interest in not breaking their customers' purchases.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @svs95

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread, and we would like to mention that the driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM), especially when it comes to laptops. OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. We have newer generic drivers available on our Download Center; however, installing this Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite your computer manufacturer's (OEM) customized drivers, therefore, it is recommended customers use OEM drivers.

We agree with the information provided by n_scott_pearson regarding that when there are issues observed using OEM drivers, customers should report all issues through the vendor they purchased the platforms and support through.

We do not have a driver version 27.20.100.8854 on our Download Center, it is the latest OEM driver from DELL*. Also, the driver you are rolling back to is not listed in our Download Center either.

We kindly recommend reporting this to DELL* Support to verify if the customized driver is really affecting the systems and to Microsoft* Support if you want to stop the automatic updates.

Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
svs95
Beginner

Attached are images that show that your OEM 27.20.100.8854 driver was installed by Windows Update. And from Dell's support page showing that driver as the currently available one, plus the one I'm running listed under "Older Versions."

I have informed you of a problem with the newer of those two drivers. The fact that you have removed it from your own site may indicate that you're aware of the problem and have hopefully addressed it in newer versions. I won't be installing any more OEM Intel drivers though, so I won't find that out.

Also, Windows Update doesn't install drivers fully automatically. It does so if you click on "Check for updates." I won't be doing that anymore, either.

I've done my part in notifying you of the problem. What you choose to do with that information is entirely up to you. I won't be responding to any further posts here.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello svs95

Thank you for your response and for all the information and feedback.

We would like to clarify that Intel® doesn't have control over the drivers that are installed/pushed through Windows Update Service. The usual behavior is that OEMs took generic drivers, customize them and OEMs also have access to the Windows® Catalog that may be used to share OEM drivers and Intel® doesn't control this behavior. Also, we want to confirm that the OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues. Driver 27.20.100.8854 is an OEM driver, and it is not listed in our Download Center. We only provide generic drivers for general purposes.

Our recommendation is to report this directly to DELL* so they can debug it further considering that driver is supposed to have been tested and validated by DELL* to work on your system. Having said that, we will proceed to close this inquiry now. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos