Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

HD615 half screen on older DirectX games for portrait LCDs in landscape mode.

KBunn
Beginner

This is for the GPD Win2, it uses a 720x1280 (yes that's the correct order) cell phone/tablet style LCD. And it's used in landscape mode. So the vertical refresh goes from left to right, instead of top to bottom.

In older directx games, such as DX8.x, as well as many other older apis, it only displays on the left side of the screen. So if a game is supposed to display at 1280x720, only the left 720 pixels are displayed and the rest of the screen is black/blank.

This is on the newest DCH as well as all drivers, even the 15.x series.

Due to the low power of this device, it's usually great for older games, but this particular issue is rather frequent. There's dx8.dll files that can SOMETIMES mitigate this, but it's very hit'n'miss. So i'd like for it to be fixed for all games.
Thank you.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

KBunn, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new device?

When did you purchase it?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Operating System version are you using?

This problem, does it happens with all the games?

Where did you purchase those games?

Did you check the game requirements to make sure your device complies with them?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your device:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
KBunn
Beginner

Best i can offer is a DX Diag. The graphics drivers i have to swap between newer and older ones as newer drivers have atrocious openGL performance. But regardless of the drivers, it still causes half screen when using a verticle 720x1280, 9:16 aspect ratio screen.

I can try to find the driver/device ID for the LCD if possible. But this problem happens on all vertical screens used in landscape mode.

The computer/laptop/handheld is called a "GPD Win 2". A few google searches will show you what it looks like so you get a better understanding of it.
@Alberto_Sykes 

Report Date: Tuesday, 10 March 2020
Report Time [hh:mm:ss]: 06:57:57 PM
Operating System: NA
Language: en-US
Physical Memory: NA
Current Resolution: 1280x720

Processor: Intel Core M3 7y30
Processor Speed: 1608 MHz MHz
GFX Driver Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 615
Shader Version: 5.1
OpenCL* Version: 2.1
* Microsoft DirectX* *
Runtime Version: 12
Hardware-Supported Version: 12
Vulkan* Version: 1.2.131
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 591E
Device Revision: 02
GFX Driver Version: 26.20.100.7870
GFX Vulcan: 1.2.131
GFX GOP: 9.0.1067

* Devices connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Displays: 1

* Digital Display 1 *

Display Name: Built-In Display
Display Type: Digital
Serial Number: -
DDC2 Protocol: Supported
Gamma: 2.2
Connector Type: Built-In Display

Maximum Image Size
Horizontal - 5.12 inches
Vertical - 3.15 inches

Supported Modes
720 x 1280 (60p Hz)

Power Management Support
-

Raw EDID:
00 FF FF FF FF FF FF 00 32 8D 37 39 F7 45 00 00
0E 1C 01 03 80 0D 08 78 0A 0D C9 A0 57 47 98 27
12 48 4C 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
01 01 01 01 01 01 AC 19 D0 78 20 00 18 50 32 14
84 00 A0 5A 00 00 00 1E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 56

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

This is the problem with the OpenGL performance, it never got fixed because that one troll that offered zero help, but wanted to up his post count.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Poor-OpenGL-Performance-with-Newer-Drivers-half-Clockspeeds-with/td-p/634319

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

KBunn, Thank you very much for providing that information.

Yes, for this specific scenario, you mentioned that the games are working with Direct X8, if you are using Windows* 10, just to let you know, that Operating System works with Direct X 12 and as per Microsoft it is not backward compatible, meaning that some problems are expected when using those games on Windows* 10.

So, it is not an Intel® Graphics driver problem, is just that the games were not build to support certain resolutions, the scaling feature on them was not build to support them, they were build to work with smaller resolutions.

In the following link, you will find further suggestions on this matter, where it is suggested to try the compatibility tool, please follow the steps in there and once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030981/graphics.html

Where are you downloading the games?

Who is the developer of them?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KBunn
Beginner

The problem does seem to be specific to this screen orientation on intel drivers. Also it's specific to full screen mode.

Testing a hdmi 800x1280 7" LCD with an nvidia device on my desktop, it worked fine. But when using the same screen as an external display connected to the Win2, it suffered from that half screen issue. 

The games i'm playing do support wide screen due to being patched for it, as well as using DX8. So they work fine in windowed mode, but not fullscreen mode. But the games don't support a (fake) windowed-full screen like many modern games.

Furthermore, there's that other problem i linked to, that never got resolved in which newer drivers would half the gpu speed and performance when used on a vertical display in landscape mode with OpenGL software. This doesn't happen with older drivers, only newer ones. So i have to switch to the old drivers when i'm using OpenGL stuff, and i have to switch to newer drivers when using the vulkan API. 

And i do have the older directx libraries installed. Such as the famed june 2010 directx redist.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

KBunn, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello KBunn, I just received an update on this matter.

Just to let you know, if both issues only affect old games (especially very old games) mostly we will be unable to provide any solution, let me apologize for that.

Which are the games affected?

By any chance, do you have the option to provide a video showing the issues so we can evaluate it?

For this specific scenario, we always recommend to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer to report this issue, since it will be faster if you report it to them for faster debug as they have the same hardware to try to reproduce this issue:

https://gpd.hk/service

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KBunn
Beginner

The half screen DirectX issue does indeed only affect older games. So i could see that not getting fixed.

The half clock speed OpenGL problem affects even the newest OpenGL applications and only on the DCH drivers.
GPD doesn't make their own drivers. Is there a place where I could download the intel graphics driver source code and edit it myself? A github maybe? If not, then it's on you guys to fix the OpenGL speed issue. Since again.. it's only on drivers newer than 25.20.100.6373.

25.20.100.6373 were the last non-DCH drivers publicly available. 
I don't know what was changed to break it. But something was.

Thank you again. Please forward this issue to the driver team. I'm not expecting you to help me solve this issue on my end. I'm hoping this issue will be forwarded to the driver development team so it'll be solved for all such devices. Since these devices will be becoming more prominent. With the GPD Win Max, and the future GPD Win 3.
There are other companies making similar devices too.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

KBunn, You are very welcome, thank you very much for sharing those details.

In reference to your question, "Is there a place where I could download the intel graphics driver source code and edit it myself?", since we do not recommend to do that, then, for that reason, we do not have the information you are looking for about this matter. Just in case, in the following link you will find all the Intel® Graphics drivers that are publicly available for installation:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Just to let you know, for Intel® is very important all the feedback and comments from all the peers working in our Intel® Communities or in any other form of support, so yes, of course, I will send your suggestions to the proper department for them to be aware on your recommendations and feedback about the Intel® Graphics drivers.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Based on the feedback you provided, we just wanted to confirm, which are the newest OpenGL applications/games that you are referring to, and could please provide a detailed description of the steps you followed in order for us to check if we can try to reproduce this issue?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KBunn
Beginner

Every OpenGL graphical game, emulator, and benchmark application. These are on the GPD Win2 using a 720x1280 vertical screen in landscape mode to display 1280x720*.

Games: All set to OpenGL.
Borderlands 3
Doom(2016)
A Boy and His Blob

Emulators: Which i'm not sure if you can test, but these are still openGL applications that are affected by this issue and only on intel devices with newer drivers with this unusual screen aspect ratio.

Citra (only does opengl) This one is the most notable.
PPSSPP (OpenGL mode.) I was testing performance between the different modes.
PCSX2 OpenGL Mode, same as above.
Cemu OpenGL mode.

Benchmarks: In openGL modes.
Heaven - Unigine
FurMark

When i say vertical aspect ratio in landscape mode. i mean it's literally a vertical screen on it's side. like holding a phone sideways. The bios on the device however displays sideways to give you an idea.  It has to be configured in windows to display in landscape mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LidiRamKLek

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

KBunn, Thank you very much for sharing that information and the video.

We will continue with our research on this matter, as soon as I get any more details I will post all the updates on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Just to let you know, we have been unable to reproduce the issue you reported with OpenGl applications and the latest Intel® Graphics drivers.

We tested Heaven-Unigine running at 720p in Open GL mode and there are no problems with the performance, the same goes for Doom 2016 and FurMark.

So, in this case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the laptop/GPD Win2 for them to try to replicate the issue using the exact same hardware that you are working with, if they find an issue and debug it to be on the Intel® side they can work with us directly for a possible solution for this scenario:

https://www.gpd.hk/gdpwin2

https://www.gpd.hk/contact

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
KBunn
Beginner

I understand the confusion. It's not a problem that occur at 1280x720.. IE 720p...

It happens on a Vertical display.. like a phone display, W:720, H:1280 rotated horizontally. Where the display is 1280 pixels high, not 1280 pixels wide. So literally a phone or tablet display. In landscape mode the vertical refresh isn't top to bottom like a normal display, it's left to right.

So if you take a phone or tablet display that refreshes length wise.. And rotate it in windows to Landscape mode, that's when the problem occurs. Other users of the GPD Win2 have also tracked it down to specifically this scenario. It's undoubtedly an unusual scenario. A 720x1280 vertical tablet LCD rotated sideways and shown in landscape mode.
But with newer handheld gaming devices coming out using small 7-8" tablet screens, this problem won't be limited to the win2.

The half speed does not occur when connected to an external monitor @ 720P that has a native wide screen. It's only for "tall?" screens.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

KBunn, Thank you very much for clarifying those details.

In that case, I will try to gather further details about the Intel® Lab we did on this matter since we actually follow the steps you provided previously along with the video that explains very well when the issue occurs, however, I will verify further aspects about this topic and as soon as I get any more updates I will post them on this thread, thank you very much for your patience.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi KBunn, I just received an update on this matter.

I would like to notify you that our lab test was done on a monitor in the vertical position, rotated using Intel® Graphics Command Center and set as landscape. 

For your information, in this kind of situation, that is precisely what Intel® expects on each OEM, to debug the issue first on their hardware and if they find out it is a driver issue, they will work with us directly to address it, even sharing hardware as needed. 

So, at this point what we suggest will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of your GPD Win2 and report this issue to them so, if necessary, they will get in contact directly with Intel® to work on this scenario:

https://www.gpd.hk/gdpwin2

https://www.gpd.hk/contact

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos