Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

HD630 audio bitstream limitations? Cannot get all audio options to Onkyo AVR

Bitconneeeeeeeeect

Hi everyone!  My setup:

Dell 5530 2-in-1 8th gen i7, using a Dell Thunderbolt dock (wd19tb)

Onkyo TX-NR686 (2018 model that can receive up to DTS-X & Atmos)

LG 43" 4K TV with HDR support

How it's all connected:

Ultra high speed HDMI cable from dock to receiver, and another ultra high speed HDMI cable from receiver to TV

What works fine:

FUll 4K HDR 60fps signal to AVR then loop to TV

AVR is able to pick up 2.0ch PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS

What doesn't work:

multi-channel PCM, Atmos 8 channel, True-HD, DTS-HD MA (seems that PDVD sends just the core DTS to the receiver)

Software:

PowerDVD 16, tried both non-decoded Dolby DIgital/DTS, as well as non-decoded high definition output modes to external device

So, before I even attempt to purchase the latest PowerDVD software, I'm trying to find out if the drivers or 630 video/audio chips are limited to the basic audio outputs.

Any idea, guys?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Bitconneeeeeeeeect

Well, I guess to answer my own question in case anyone else lands here with the same problem, it appears to be more of a bandwidth issue.  What finally ended up working for me, at least, is lowering the TV's frames-per-second (or hertz) to at least 29.97, while still maintaining its native resolution of 3840x2160p, appears to be good enough to allow DTS-HD 5.1/7.1 and TrueHD to come through.  Makes sense to do it this way especially since movies are 23.976/24 fps.

I still need to test HDR mode to see if that will affect anything since it was turned off here.

I also need to rule out if "down"-dating to a much older intel audio driver that is 2 years old had anything to do with it.  

The quick conclusion is that at least my setup is capable of allowing pass-through of the HD audio formats for newer receivers.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Bitconneeeeeeeeect,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I am glad to hear that you were able to identify the source of the problem and track it to the bandwidth, your findings may help any other member of the community that may have the same issue as you.

Remember that the laptop manufacturer (DELL) can place limitations (screen, ports, graphics, CPU, features) on their system that can affect the behavior of the laptop. I recommend you to check with DELL and ask if there are any kind of display/graphics/port limitations that may affect the laptop.

Once again, thanks for your time.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos