Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

HDMI Audio works for some games, not for others

HZull
Novice

Hi there,

my computer is a NUC NUC6i5SYH with integrated IRIS 540 graphics.

Windows 10 has been updated, as well as the BIOS and all the drivers. Intel graphics drivers are at .4849.

Audio is connected to the monitor through HDMI.

Games are installed via Steam and are kept up to date to their latest version.

Most games installed will work just fine with this, but some do not.

Here's a small selection of games that work:

• ibb & obb
  • mini metro
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • Owlboy

Here's a small selection of games that DO NOT WORK with HDMI, but with the analogue audio output only:

• Little Racers Street
  • Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
  • Lego Star Wars The Force Awakens

This could be somehow related to this: - the issue reported there is over a year ago and the working older driver that this user refers to isn't available anymore.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi hz: Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Graphics communities. We will do our best in order to try to fix this problem.

Just to let you know, there are some graphics drivers that contain different audio versions, so, what we can do next will be to un-install the current graphics driver from device manager and then install version 4821. After that, please get into device manager again, look for "Sound, video and game controllers" right click on it and test both audio versions to confirm if the games work fine that way:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27227/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88358 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27227/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=88358

Additionally, Steam has its own forum support, we recommend to submit your inquiry on their forums as well in order to get further technical assistance and suggestions on this subject:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/ https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
HZull
Novice

Hi, thanks for your response!

Okay, I compared the current driver with the older driver and can now confirm that the problem occurs with graphics driver package 23.20.16.4849 (win64_15600.4849.exe), which contains Intel Display Audio driver 10.24.0.1.

But it turned out that the HDMI audio works fine with graphics driver package 21.20.16.4821 (win64_154521.4821.exe), which contains Intel Display Audio driver 10.22.1.100.

I also tried the newer graphics driver 23.20.16.4849 and then downgraded only the HDMI Intel Display Audio driver to 10.22.1.100, but even that combination still didn't work.

Something must have been broken with the new graphics driver package. It is odd that this affects only some games and not all programs using HDMI audio.

Hope you can fix this for the next upgrade!

idata
Employee

hz: You are very welcome. Thank you very much for providing those results we really appreciate your feedback. In order for us to do further research on this matter, please provide the information requested on the link below:

/message/319025 https://communities.intel.com/message/319025

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
HZull
Novice

I have attached the requested diagnostics files for a working (older driver) and not-working (current driver) system. Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hz: Thank you very much for providing those files. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hz: I just received an update on the research we are doing on this matter, please keep checking the following thread, as soon as there is a possible solution it will be posted there:

/thread/116636 https://communities.intel.com/thread/116636

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
KMook
Beginner

Hello,

I am having the exact same issue... Unfortunately the link provided to follow (in the last post) was referencing one specific game and thus does not help us with the underlying issue affecting other games.

For example I have a game that will recognize and use the Realtek sound card when there are headphones plugged into my NUC7i5BNH, but does not recognize any sound card when just using the Intel Display Audio with hdmi. This is using the latest 15.65.4.4944 (23.20.16.4944) display driver. However if I uninstall it, reboot, and install 15.45.19.4678 (which has the Display Audio driver 10.22.1.100) the game recognizes the Display Audio and works as it should.

This issue was introduced at least 5 months ago and needs to be fixed. Please provide us (your loyal customers) an update and ETA on resolution so our expectations can be properly set.

Thank you

Ken

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lentash

Thank you for joining the thread.

In order to assist you better with the specific problem, you are having in your Intel® NUC system. I recommend creating a new thread. Please make sure you add all of the details of your computer so we can get more information about the problem.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello Lentash,

I believe this is the same issue that was reported here: even though the games are different. We closed this since it was determined that this issue is actually coming from the games code. You see, when the application launches, the driver does a 'modeset' with a max delay of 8 seconds (max time defined by the HDMI specification) during which the audio gets disabled. It is at this point that the application checks for audio presence (shows disabled), hence audio drop occurs. The application(s) that run into this problem need to be updated so they detect the audio for more than 8 seconds upon launch. The reason why this issue doesn't occur on previous drivers is because due to a code bug, they were taking longer than 8 seconds for 'modeset'. However this was actually undesired behavior since it affects plenty of other scenarios.

Intel has been reaching out to most developers so they can look into this and fix their code, but if you have a list of affected applications or games please let us know so we can attempt reaching out to the respective devs as well.

By the way, a temporary workaround I have observed is making sure that the game resolution matches the one set in Windows* (e.g. in the game settings set 1920x1080 if that is the one you have in Windows*).

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Lentash

Allow me to share with you that we are going to continue assisting you on the thread /thread/124731 https://communities.intel.com/thread/124731.

Thank you.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos