Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

HDR unusable

Xtrips
Beginner

Hello,

I am using the latest driver on my PC, connected to a Samsung 4K TV (not monitor).

When I switch on the HDR toggle in the driver all the video signal goes through some HDR process I guess and the picture is washed out and colors are skewed.
I am a professional calibrator so I tried to calibrate the combo TV + calibration client running on my PC (Calman Client 3) but the picture stays horrible.
First of all I expected the HDR switch to affect only HDR video signals and leave the rest of the signals untouched.
And then I expected the HDR signals at least to be rendered correctly. Far from it.
So what is this HDR switch for according to Intel?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree. All it seems to mean currently is switching between 8-bit and 10-bit modes - and it's the only way to use 10-bit mode.

...S

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Xtrips,

Thank you for posting on the Intel* Community.

To better assist you, please provide me with the below information:

• Which type of connection are you using? (HDMI* to HDMI*, DP* to DP*)
  • Provide us with a picture to see the behavior.

Provide the below reports:

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 

With the external display connected, provide the Intel* Graphics Command Center report:

>Go to the Intel Graphics Command Center

>Support

>System Diagnostic

>Generate report.

>Attach the report file.

Best regards,

Maria R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Xtrips
Beginner

Hello

I am using a HDMI to HDMI connection. 
Disabling HDR in your driver allows for a perfect calibration on my screen, using Rec.709 colorspace of course.
Enabling HDR skews all the results. Calibrating becomes impossible. Measurements are off the charts. The distorsion is easily visible. Even defaulting all calibration or parameters gives a washed out and lifeless picture. 
I am using a Samsung 4K HDR TV screen (not monitor).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@Xtrips 

That's exactly what happens when you present a non-HDR image while in HDR mode; it looks all washed out. It is essentially an 8-bit image being presented in 10-bit mode. This is why you don't want HDR turned on all the time; you only want it on while you are actually presenting full 10-bit HDR images.

...S

0 Kudos
Xtrips
Beginner

As I said totally unusable and superfluous at the moment.
One can obviously not go and toggle the HDR for every kind of signal that goes through.
Moreover, with HDR on the HDR test videos, or even HDR patterns I used from my pattern generator looked like s**t.
Now unless there is an incompatibility I don't know of between my PC/Graphic card and my Samsung TV I suppose this HDR feature is half baked.
I will try and connect my PC to another HDR display in my home. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, half-baked in Samsung 6000 Series TVs that I have anyway...

...S

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hi,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Xtrips,

Just following up to know the outcome with a different display, in case you need further support please let us know.

Also, provide pictures of the behavior if possible.

Best regards,

Maria R.

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Xtrips,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos
Maria_R_Intel

Hello Xtrips,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

Maria R.  

0 Kudos