Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

HP EliteBook 840 G5 compatibility with 5120x1440 resolution for my 49inch widescreen (LG 49WL95C)

Raj85Ams
Beginner

Hi there,

I have an issue with getting my configurations right for my brand new 49inch LG ultrawide screen (LG 49WL95C). I want to connect it to my laptop but somehow it only wants to connect via HDMI and the maximum resolution can only be set to 3840 x 2160. When I want to connect my laptop through usb-c it does not even recognize my laptop correctly. 

My graphics card is a "Intel UHD 620". I have read on the internet that in the past Intel did support the 5120x1440 through the UHD 620 card.

Please help me out as my beautiful screen is only working on half the total screensize :(.

(see picture)

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Raj85Ams

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this further, could you please provide the following information?

1- Did this configuration work fine before with this display?

2- Are you using a straight-through connection with a single cable? For instance, HDMI-to-HDMI, or USB-C to USB-C/DisplayPort? Or are you using video adapters or a docking?

3- Have you tested the display with another laptop or computer with this resolution? Please provide details:

4- Please provide 2 Reports for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

Provide one report with the display connected through HDMI® and another report with the display connected through USB-C

5- Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Also, we noticed you mentioned there is a picture attached, but it is not available on the thread.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Raj85Ams
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

It took a few days because I needed to get access to install software on my laptop to install the new drivers for this laptop.

I have now installed all updated drivers except for the BIOS driver as I need a password for that.

See attached the reports you were asking for.

When connecting the monitor with USB-C-USB-C it does not recognize the LG monitor somehow.

I have also made a printscreen of the error message I receive. see attached.

I am using straight through connections.

Additional note: When I am connecting a dock I am also able to use the USB-C connection of my laptop by connecting the USB-C of the dock to my laptop and connecting the HDMI to the dock (just to let you know that it seems that my USB-C connection is working).

Kind regards,

Raj

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi Raj,

I would like to jump in and try to help.

I find particularly interesting that in the report "...HDMI-connection.txt" only the HDMI monitor is detected (minus the 5120x1440 resolution), but in the report "...USB-C.txt" the monitor is now duplicated! I have seen monitors that attempt to drive 5K resolutions using 2 connections, is this the case? otherwise I'm assuming the monitor is reporting 2 tiles to the OS and driver. If you can help us understand this part of the report results that would be great.

Anyway, for testing purposes try doing a clean driver installation but this time use driver 26.20.100.7985. Was this driver able to expose the 5120x1440 resolution? Go ahead and attach the report from Intel Graphics Command Center with the results while the monitor is connected via HDMI and also with USB-C using the aforementioned driver for further analysis.

Speaking of USB-C... depending on the type of USB-C on your laptop it may not have sufficient bandwidth to properly output the 5120x1400@60hz resolution (it might be capped at 5 or 10Gbps) so please check this with HP just to be sure, ideally it should support Thunderbolt 3 which will increase the port bandwidth to match DP 1.2 protocol (+18Gpbs) or its equivalent in USB Gen 3.2 (20Gbps).

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Raj85Ams
Beginner

Hi Ronald,

Thanks for stepping in!

First I will show you the reports with my current driver installed:

I found out that when connecting both my USB-C and HDMI cables to the laptop and monitor gives me somehow the opportunity to get the 5120 x1440 modus on.

Then, when removing the HDMI cable (and keeping the USB-C on the laptop and monitor) It still keeps running the full screen on 5120x1440. However, when restarting the laptop, the same issues comes back. I will then need to (again) connect both the cables, because only USB-C gives me the wrong resolution and the screen keeps flickering. I have made some extra screenshots and reports. Please find them attached. In the meanwhile I will check what the results will be if I install the other driver as you mentioned.

0 Kudos
Raj85Ams
Beginner

Hi,

I uninstalled the previous driver and installed the suggested driver. I plugged in both the cables (USB-C & HDMI) but I am having the same result. I have the 5120x1440 resolution, but somehow it is only possible whilst first connecting both the cables and then removing the HDMI. When restarting, the laptop does not recognize the monitor through only the USB-C connected. So I need to follow the same procedure by connecting both cables.

Please find attached the report I have generated.

Is there somehow a solution to this?

PS, my laptop does seem to have a thunderbolt connection.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c05903000#AbT7

Kind regards,

Raj

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Raj85Ams

Thank you for your response.

After checking all the reports regardless if both connections are in use (HDMI and USB-C) on only one of them, the reports still show that the Maximum Supported Mode is 3840x2160@60p.

When looking for the TV technical specifications, based on the Owner's Manual downloaded from this link*: https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-49WL95C-W.AUS, it is showing under "Product Specification" section, page 22, it says that for HDMI the Max Resolution is 3840x2160@60Hz which is the Recommended Resolution. Also, for DisplayPort/USB-C is says that the Max Resolution is 5120x1440@60Hz.

Since you mentioned your TV model is "49WL95C" but the model we are able to find on the web is 49WL95C-W, could you please confirm if the TV model described in the previous link is your actual TV?

Could you please also confirm Ronald's inquiry regarding if you know if the display drives 5K resolutions using 2 connections?

One more step, based on the HP* link you provided, it seems that the laptop does come with Thunderbolt (USB Type-C connector). I would recommend confirming this directly with HP support (or to verify the capabilities if it is a regular USB-C port) so you can have the proper information about this.

In the meantime, we will check this further and post back in the thread as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
Raj85Ams
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

I checked some review sites and also some other pages related to this HP840 5G elitebook and they all confirm it is a Thunderbolt connection. Also on the laptop there is a lightning icon above the USB-C connection which should indicate it is a Thunderbolt connection.

I have runned another report whilst I removed the HDMI and keep the USB-C on. It now runs on 5120x1440 resolution, on usb-C only. But as I mentioned when I will restart my system it will not be able to connect get the 5120x1440 resolution if I have not connected the HDMI as well.

See screenshots attached.

Kind regards,

Raj

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Thanks for the information provided so far.

I can confirm on driver 26.20.100.7985 we have successfully tested monitors working at 5120x1440, per example the Dell* Ultra Sharp U4919DW and Samsung* CRG9. The graphics controller (Gen9) will not support 5120 horizontal over a single display pipeline, but it still works by combining 2 x 2560 horizontal tiles into one (I'm assuming this is where the gap with the LG 49WL95C and the HP system is happening). Have you checked the USB-C cable is Thunderbolt 3 certified?

Looking at the new reports there are still a couple of things that continue to puzzle me.

1. The report lists "GFX Driver Name: Citrix Indirect Display Adapter"... that is a 1st for me, why would it be detecting it as such?
  2. The monitor is not reporting 5120x1440 as a supported mode, which tells me something between the TB 3 controller and the monitor is not communicating properly. I also looked at the EDID data and confirm is it not including 5120x1440.

I am going to look around and see if I can find an explanation why the Gfx driver name will be reported as Citrix Indirect Display Adapter and investigate if it is even relevant to this issue.

As for point#2, have you been able to install any drivers for the monitor? Injecting the proper .inf information in Windows will help with proper EDID communication. Quick hint: if in Device Manager under Monitors the LG display is listed as "Generic PnP" then it means no inf info has been provided.

Finally, can you check with HP* if there is any firmware or driver update for the Thunderbolt 3 controller?

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
Raj85Ams
Beginner

Hi Ronald,

I am not sure if what the Citrix Indirect display adapter actually is,

However looking at the Device manager I do find 2 display adapters, of which one is the Intel UHD Graphics 620. (see screenshot attached).

The cable I am not sure about. It did come with the LG monitor so I am assuming it should be a thunderbolt cable? Anyhow I will try to find a certified cable and check if that helps.

Kind regards,

Raj

0 Kudos
Raj85Ams
Beginner

Now also with the attached screenshot.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Have you installed any Virtualization software or done any remote desktop work? Citrix develops applications that can do that and it would explain why this virtual Graphics controller was created.

How about in Device Manager under "Monitors", what do you see?

0 Kudos
Raj85Ams
Beginner

I think the company I worked for has installed this so that helpdesk or so can connect via a IP address or so?

At "monitors" I only find 3 Generic PnP monitors, see screenshot attached.

BR,

Raj

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

That surely explains it. I am not 100% sure the "Citrix Indirect display adapter" will create the issue we have here with the 5120x1440 resolution, but I just wanted to be sure we knew where it came from.

The 3 Generic PnP monitors surely are a telling sight. Before you go out and purchase cables, check with your monitor manufacturer for support. Focus on the fact the monitor is not being recognized adequately and chances are you'll need to load the monitor drivers. You can also tell them that Intel looked at the EDID data supplied by the monitor and it is not listing 5120x1440 as a supported video mode.

Once you hear back from them please update this thread as I am looking forward to hearing what they think about this scenario.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Raj85Ams

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to check with your monitor manufacturer for support. Did they provide you with any feedback? Were you able to load any monitor driver?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Raj85Ams

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos