Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

HP Spectre x360 Radeon update 18.6.1 made gaming worse

KHunt3
Beginner

So I recently decided to update my Radeon graphics card because my laptop notifies me every single time I start it up and it was getting extremely irritating. The reason why I didn't want to update the graphics is because I went through this exact situation once before. I was getting all the pop-ups, so I went in and updated it. After I updated it, the game I play, which is Fortnite, started running terribly. Before the update, it would run at a pretty steady 60 fps. I don't quite remember what I did to fix the issue then, but nonetheless, it was a very annoying process to go through.

Sure enough, here I am again. After finally deciding to download the updates to stop the annoying pop-ups, I am in the same situation as before. Instead of enjoying some time off to play Fortnite, I am stuck browsing the internet for hours to see how to fix this stupid problem. After I downloaded the update, I logged onto Fortnite and I was hovering at a constant 30 fps, which makes the game pretty much unplayable. I didn't touch any settings at all, literally the only thing that changed was the update (I normally get a very steady 60fps which is perfect for gaming). I don't even know where to begin to fix this issue. I tried completely uninstalling the Radeon graphics and then re-downloading it, which of course did absolutely nothing. Other than that, I have no clue how to go about fixing it. For someone who is not very tech savvy, just trying to figure out what could be wrong is extremely difficult and annoying.

It just makes no sense to me how downloading a simple update will make the graphics run twice as bad, if anything, you would think it would improve the graphics. If anyone has any ideas as to how I can revert my graphics back to before the update or fix it so the current update doesn't make Fortnite run like sh*t, I would greatly appreciate it. To put it simply, I am extremely unhappy with this Radeon graphics. It has put me through so many headaches in such a short time and I have just about had it with it.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KHunt3
Beginner

I was able to just rollback the update to fix the issue. Nonetheless, Intel seriously needs to work on their updates. I know for myself, I will not be getting anymore updates to my Radeon graphics card. Sick of the same issue happening time and time again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kylito101,

I understand that you are currently experiencing performance issues when updating the graphics driver.

Regarding this and in order to try to replicate the problem, I would like to request the Intel ® System Support Utility report as well as the DxDiag report. To get the DxDiag, please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, regarding the Intel ® System Support Utility, please download the tool from the link below and attach the report to this thread:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

We also require some more information about the computer and more details, please fill out what is requested in the thread below and attach it here as well please:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Once this information is gathered I will begin with an investigation and also attempt to replicate the problem.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
KHunt3
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

The game I play is Fortnite. Before I got the latest update to my Radeon RX Vega M Graphics (18.6.1), I would run at a steady 60 fps. After I updated it to 18.6.1, I would run at a steady 30 fps, which makes the game pretty much unplayable. It seems like it is capped at 30 fps as it never really goes above that, and if it does, it is for a millisecond before it drops down again.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Hp Spectre X360

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Yes, it has AMD graphics I believe (Radeon RX Vega M)

</...
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kylito101,

Thank you for your response.

I will proceed to replicate this problem and see if this issue happens in the systems we have as well, it will take some time so please allow me some time and I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hi Kylito101,

We are investigating this issue, thank you for taking the time to report it to us.

Can you please share a screen shot of the game's video configuration settings? This should help us match exactly what you have and possibly yield more accurate results.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kylito101,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

We are still running the testings about the current problem. However, I will need you to please provide me with the in-game graphics settings you are using right now so we can have a more accurate test. If you are able to include a screenshot with the graphics settings, it would be great.

Let me know please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Kylito101,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Please provide me with a screenshot of the in-game graphics settings.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos