Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Hi I am planning to buy a laptop and to install Kicad (PCB Designing) Comsol Multi Physics, Intel Quartus also Xilinx vivado,

sam
Beginner

https://kicad-pcb.org/help/system-requirements/

https://www.comsol.co.in/system-requirements

how far intel iris supports for cad Softwares like Kicad and comsol multiphysics. Since its integrated graphics when comparing with external graphics cards like firepro and quadro

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello sam,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

It's worth mentioning that this is not only about the Intel graphics there are some other hardware/software components that you need to consider like memory, processor, Operating system, etc.

Also, there are some applications that are high CPU or GPU intensive depending on how the developer has optimized and customized the application to work as long as the computer you have in mind meets the requirements suggested by the developer, it should work (Performance may vary on components).

Upon checking the requirements for KICAD it says:

• 2G RAM recommended
  • Up to 10GB available hard disk space
  • Intel: no cards that came before the HD-Graphics series, regardless of the name including "HD". Intel cards that are reported working starts from model HD 2000 and higher so Intel Iris is higher than 2000 and based on the software developer they say that works, however, do not specify about the performance but I can see that they recommend dedicated cards as well which means that the application can be high GPU intensive.

COMSOL Multiphysics*

• At least 4 GB of RAM is recommended
  • 64-Bit Operating Systems
  • COMSOL recommends hardware rendering for performance reasons they recommend that the graphics card has at least 512 MB memory and they listed only AMD dedicated GPU cards and they do not list Integrated graphics so in this case, I will recommend you to ask them directly if their software can run or if it has been tested on integrated GPU.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
sam
Beginner
Dear Adrian, Thank you for the information, hope this will help me in choosing the right hardware.
0 Kudos