Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

How can I increase my intel HD 4000 dedicated video memory?

ABouk1
Beginner

So hello dear community,

Recently, I have bought a new PC which has 8 GB Ram and I7 3rd Gen 2.9 Ghz, with Intel HD 4000. But there's been something which was annoying me: It only has 32 vram. I tried using different solutions in YouTube such as using regedit and making a new key etc etc and that stuff changing the . but no avail, so I gave up on that then I tried shutting down my PC and using the BIOS system in order the change the graphic settings. However, I didn't find anything related to these graphic settings in BIOS. I'm really feeling like to playing some video games, but what's the point if I can't increase my vRam? Please help me out, I wanna find a solution.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Check out:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000020962.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Graphics Memory on Windows® 10

Why did you buy "a new PC" with that old hardware?

0 Kudos
ABouk1
Beginner

I tried using that, as I said, I tried making a GMM or DVM key and use that stuff, I even went a bith farther and installed virtual graphics tool or however we call it.

I bought a new PC with this old haldware because I found it really convenient judging by its processor, RAM and by its price.

So, is there any solution to increase my vRAM or it's really impossible? Knowing that I didn't find graphics settings in my BIOS, is there any way to search for it?

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Open Intel control panel / options / info-center

Check if your rig uses GOP or legacy VBIOS

• GOP: No 64 KB limit. 32-bit protected mode. No need for CSM. Speed optimized (fast boot). The UEFI pre-boot firmware architecture (32-/64-bit) must match the GOP driver.
  • Video BIOS: 64 KB limit. 16-bit execution. CSM is needed with UEFI system firmware. Performance inferior to GOP CSM. The VBIOS works with both 32- and 64-bit architectures.

source: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intelligent-systems/intel-embedded-graphics-drivers/faq-bios-firmware.html Intel® Embedded Graphics Drivers BIOS and Firmware FAQ

0 Kudos
ABouk1
Beginner

I beg your pardon, I'm a bit tired right now and I tried my best to understand you though, but here's a screenshot of my Information Center, please check it for me:

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

It reads "Video BIOS" in the right column, so you are really limited.

Newer generations read "Graphics output protocol (GOP)" instead. I add a screenshot for reference.

0 Kudos
ABouk1
Beginner

In other words, there's technically no way to improve my vRAM unless I change my graphic card?

Let's say I'm going to change my graphic card, how can I check if my motherboard can accept it or not?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much to Stefan3D for all the information provided above.

Hi konan: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Graphics communities.

Correct, in regards to dedicated memory for graphics, if you do not have the option in the BIOS to increase it, then, there is no option to do that. Your system manufacturer set the maximum amount of memory for graphics. So we recommend to get in contact directly with them to verify if that is possible.

In order to find out if a video card will be fully compatible with your system, the best thing to do will be to get in contact with the manufacturer of your system if it is a laptop, or the manufacturer of the board if it is a desktop PC, to confirm if the video card will work properly with your system. They might have a list of tested peripherals that might include a list of video cards.

I hope the information provided on this thread was useful for you.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
ABouk1
Beginner

Appreciated, thanks for helping me out.

0 Kudos
RGres2
Beginner

test if your system meets game requirements- https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

0 Kudos