Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

I am running an HD4600 graphics on a 4670 Core I5 CPU. My output goes on an Asus monitor (irrelevant, as I had similar problem with another, smaller monitor as well), resolution 1920x1080.

KZahn1
Beginner

My problem is, that I have to scale down the display to 95%height and 93% width, to see the whole image output on the monitor, otherwise some scroll bars on the right or menus on the left are displayed partially.

Any ideas, why this has to be done? I have never had such a symptom before, my output was always 100% and displayed properly.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Sounds like an overscan problem.

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
KZahn1
Beginner

Hi,

thanks for support, hope the output file is what you meant

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You have the latest graphics driver and your OS is up-to-date.

Can you provided the exact model number of your monitor?

Doc

0 Kudos
KZahn1
Beginner

Since last week I use a Asus VS238H or H-P (I am not 100% sure). The time before I had a Medion 17" monitor (you won't know that brand perhaps). 'The problem was the same, I had to scale down. If I remember, it is since I made the Win10 upgrade on my workstation, 2 or 3 years ago.

0 Kudos
KZahn1
Beginner

ah in case you might want to know: my mainboard is H87M Pro4 from ASRock.

Thx

Kai

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

How is the monitor connected to the motherboard?

...S

0 Kudos
KZahn1
Beginner

the current one is connected via HDMI. My last one until last week was connected via VGA, and it did have the same symptom.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Do you have a HDMI-to-VGA dongle? It would be interesting to know whether the original monitor has the same issue when using the HDMI output (though whether it means anything has not been established).

...S

0 Kudos
KZahn1
Beginner

no I haven't got such a dongle. However:

I tried it with a Medion 17" TFT monitor, and had the same symptom. I tried it with my Asus monitor with VGA cable, and I tried it with the Asus monitor with a HDMI cable. So it does not look to be a question of VGA or HDMI, it seems to be very deep in the system. As well, it is not a question of the HD4600 driver, as I installed already the current one.

So any further ideas welcome 🙂

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm, ok, this isn't really telling me much. I have a query into a couple of hardware designers regarding cause. Let me see what they have to say.

I am inclined to answer that (a) the mobo is responsible for the overscan (since I have 8 Series (Lynx Point) Intel Desktop Board with similar Haswell processor and I do not see this issue) and (b) regardless of source, the whole purpose for having the scaling capability in the Control Panel is to handle cases like this. Presuming that you can adjust the scaling and see the image cleanly and this scaling is locked in and works across power cycles, there is really nothing else that can be done.

Again, this is a software engineer talking. I have asked the hardware engineers to explain why overscan occurs and whether there is anything else that could be done. Let's wait and see what they have to say...

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So the DEs are agreeing with my assessment. They say likely that the motherboard is using cheap components to support the signal conversion for the output connectors and thus creating the overscan.

Once you have set up the scaling, do the settings persist across power cycles? If so, you have the proper support for the issue. and are good to go.

...S

0 Kudos
KZahn1
Beginner

Thanks a lot for support, and yes - that scaling persists. Knowing that this is only beauty: the type face / caption looks ugly, that is why I came on that topic. And with my old 17" monitor, it did not appear that extreme way. But if there is no hardware solution, then the way might be to buy a new system in a while - hopefully then with a 100% working connection between mainboard and CPU 😉 .

However, thanks for your support, much appreciated!

K

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you seeing tearing in addition to the overscan? Use SmartPhone to take picture of screen and then use Image button to upload and attach this picture to response post.

...S

0 Kudos
KZahn1
Beginner

I took 2 screenshots in a pdf, hope that shows a bit...

Kai

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

These look like screen grabs. If there is image tearing or other distortions, this is only going to show up in a picture of the monitor taken with a smartphone.

...S

0 Kudos
KZahn1
Beginner

Hi,

sorry that I did not reply earlier, however I have solved it now. The solution was:

there was an option in the monitor setting, that is a) overscan and b) full screen or full view

As soon as I had set it to the full option, my picture and all fonts were much better.

So thanks again for support!

0 Kudos