Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20597 Discussions

I am using an hdtv as a display for my laptop but choosing the native resolution setting causes the edges of my display to be cut off, I know there is a way to make it fit properly but I can't figure it out, can anyone help with some instruction

RJohn71
Beginner

laptop is a Dell inspiron with Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz using intel(r) HD Graphics 4400 , (GOP) Version: 5.0.1037,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Right-click on the desktop and select Graphics Properties. This should start up the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. Click on Display and then use the Select Display box to select the entry for the TV. You should see a Customize Aspect Ratio selector at the bottom of the settings.

• If you do not see the Customize Aspect Ratio selector, then your TV does not support scaling and and you will not be able to make the image fit the screen.

• If you do see the Customize Aspect Ratio selector, click on it. This should bring up horizontal and vertical sliders around the Preview image. You use these sliders to adjust the height and width of the image and make it fit within the confines of the screen. The process is kind of clunky. When you move a slider, you ~might~ see the image change on the screen. If you don't, clicking on the Apply button will let you see what difference this makes. If you like it, click on the Yes button to accept the change(s). If you don't, click on the No button to revert back. Once you have done both the horizontal and vertical adjustments you need, if the Apply button is (still) lit up, you will need to click on it and select Yes to apply the changes and have them persist. Just in case, you can use the Save Profile button to save the profile to a file for use as a subsequent starting point.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I forgot to add: The information above is specific to the older Intel HD Graphics driver packages. If you have a 6th gen or newer processor, you should by now be running the new, DCH-architected versions of the drivers. All driver packages with build numbers (the last number (i.e. after the third dot) in the version string) that are greater than 6443 are DCH-architected. Now, Microsoft has specified that, with the DCH-architected drivers, no Control Panel app is allowed to be connected to right-click Context Menus. Instead, the Control Panel app needs to be re-implemented as a Modern GUI app that is downloaded from the Microsoft App Store. Intel's new app is named Intel Graphics Command Center. This app provides essentially the same capabilities as the old Control Panel app, but is invoked from the Windows 10 Start Menu. It will be automatically downloaded and installed onto your PC the first time you sign in after installing a DCH-architected driver package.

Hope this helps (other folks),

...S

0 Kudos