Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

I need openGL for HD Graphics 3000 under Win10

ADem
Novice

Hi.

I have a Core i5 2520M CPU with HD Graphics 3000.

I use Windows 10.

I read a lot of articles, but found no answer to my problem.

I would like to play with a game: Planescape Tournament Enhanced Edition

https://www.beamdog.com/products/planescape-torment-enhanced-edition Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog - Great Games, Easy

If you roll down you can see the requirements.

It tells i would need openGL 2 compatible graphics card.

But when I installed the game, it says:

Unable to load openGL driver.

GL_Version: 1.1.0

GL_Renderer: GDI Generic

GL_Vendor: Microsoft Corporation

So my problem is that: I found no openGL support for HD Graphics 3000 under windows10.

I asked Beamdog (the game developer) what shall i do, and they told me to ask the manufacturer. So i am here and i would like You guys to help me.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you.

29 Replies
OllyAllan
Beginner

Oh! Okay. Thank you. Now,  I have  to just get a new PC.

0 Kudos
TASRIF
Beginner

Hi.

I have a Core i7-2620M CPU with HD Graphics 3000.

I use Windows 10.

I read a lot of articles, but found no answer to my problem 

would like to play with a game: Mincraft Java Edition.

If you roll down you can see the requirements

CPU Intel Core i3-3210 3.2 GHz/ AMD A8-7600 APU 3.1 GHz or equivalent

GPU (Integrated) Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge) or AMD Radeon R5 series (Kaveri line) with OpenGL 4.4*
GPU (Discrete) Nvidia GeForce 400 Series or AMD Radeon HD 7000 series with OpenGL 4.4
RAM 4GB
HDD At least 1GB for game core, maps and other files
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You can't, plain and simple. Your processor-based graphics solution is not supported on Windows 10. There is no driver from Intel and the one from Microsoft does not provide the capabilities to support you playing. Further, you have a laptop or embedded mobile processor, so you cannot add a better graphics solution.

If you want to play these games, you are going to have to purchase a newer, more-recent computer.

Sorry, reality bites,

...S

0 Kudos
Fireside
Novice

@n_scott_pearson, you're wrong.  Plain and simple.

Normally I'd 100% be behind the idea that trying to make hardware do what its not capable of means you need a new pc.  But this hardware IS capable of opengl 3.1, I believe all the way up to 3.3 just not on Windows 10.  Your advice basically boils down to "Intel didn't make a driver for Win 10, and Microsoft driver doesn't do this so you need new hardware".  Except downgrading to Windows 7 or 8 would give them back this functionality.  A super user should understand this without me needing to explain it.

But lets be more helpful here.  I too have a laptop with intel HD 3000 graphics and for kicks was trying to get back to opengl 3.1 performance without leaving Windows 10 (for this instance I was actually messing with Minecraft Java Edition, so @OllyAllan this will work for you).  For this you need to follow the video guide Pliv posted with a few extra steps.  If you prefer a text guide this page has a step by step breakdown with images for clarity (If you get a little stuck on the last step the comments can help).

The additional steps are just adding additional .exe's to the database before saving and installing it.  Like Pliv did you need to add the Java.exe to the database but for reasons I don't entirely understand that's not enough in this situation.  If you look in the C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_271\bin directory (the jreX.X.X_XXX portion in bold will vary depending on what version of java you currently have installed) there are many additional .exe files but the 3 we are interested in are JavaCPLJavaW, and JavaWS.  Add these 3 .exe's to the database (again, do this before finishing the last step in the guide) following the same steps you did for the first Java.exe, using the same versionlie with the ig4icd64.dll parameter; when you're done, save the database and install it.  This will install the compatibility shim for all 4 of the .exe's and you'll be off to the races!

On a side note, if you plan to run Minecraft on this install the Optifine optimizations for the version you're playing.  It'll take it from ~30 fps to ~60.  It's pretty impressive.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, I do not consider using a EOLed version of Windows to be a valid alternative and no professional would ever suggest it. Secondly, your hacks are just that, hacks, and no professional would suggest doing that either. The right answer here is to upgrade to newer hardware.

...S

0 Kudos
Fireside
Novice

We'll have to break this down piece by piece, a lot of bad info here.

To your first point I never claimed to be a professional and judging by this conversation, you're not either.  Also Windows 8.1 is not at end of life (eol).  It has reached the end of mainstream support, but that doesn't mean Microsoft doesn't support it at all, that means it has entered the extended support stage; and it will be there for ~2 more years.  Taken directly from Microsoft's life cycle FAQ:

What is the Lifecycle Policy for Windows 8.1?

Windows 8.1 reached the end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and will reach end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023. With the general availability of Windows 8.1, customers on Windows 8 had until January 12, 2016, to move to Windows 8.1 to remain supported.

Though you are right about Windows 7.  It is eol and should not be used, especially on a device that has access to the internet.

Now for your second point.  These "hacks" are simply telling the drivers to function as if the operating system were windows 8.1 and is performed by legitimate software distributed by Microsoft themselves to solve compatibility issues (which make no mistake, this is a compatibility issue, not a performance issue).  If you were curious and couldn't be bothered to actually read what I posted the full compatibility fix applied by the Windows Assessment and Deployment kit (that's what Windows ADK is) is called "Win81RTMVersionLie" which does exactly what the name implies.  It simply tells Windows 10 to use the driver as it if it were Windows 8.1.  It's actually a tad more complicated than that but we're just trying to get the basic idea across.

Just because you don't understand what is being done here doesn't mean its a "hack".  No permanent or damaging changes were made and no third party software was involved.  A compatibility layer was created and added using first party Microsoft tools made to alleviate problems exactly like this one.

The right answer here is to get informed before you start telling people what they need to do.

Also just wanted to add that anyone who is having this issue and is struggling even with what's been posted feel free to say something.  I'll help you as much as I can.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So let me address your points one by one,

• You didn't say Windows 8.1, you said Windows 8 and that's what I responded to. Windows 8 was discontinued long ago and everything you can say about Windows 7 you can certainly say about Windows 8. Saying Windows 8 does not imply Windows 8.1
  • I understand perfectly well what you were doing and what you are doing it with. You can call it whatever you like but, in my book it's still a hack.
  • You might wish for Intel to update its drivers for this very old hardware but this is a business. You are getting better, longer coverage from Intel and certainly better customer support than almost every company out there (I wouldn't be here volunteering my time otherwise). Still, there are limits and Intel has set them. Anyone who want to hack together solutions for older hardware is welcome to. I won't and I certainly won't recommend it.
  • As for the rest of your insults, I suggest that you go back to the start and actually read the Community Guidelines that you agreed to when you setup your account.

...S

0 Kudos
Fireside
Novice

I’ll give you that, I did say Windows 8 and not 8.1.  I often lump them together because personally I dislike them both but that’s wrong of me to do.  Like I said, I’m definitely not a professional.  I should have clearly specified 8.1 and should not have even mentioned 7 at all.  As far as insults, I do tend to get a little heated when people respond they way you did; my bad.  I don’t feel its as black and white as you do, difference of opinions I guess.

But if you really are a professional then you should know very well the difference between a “hack” and what is being done here.  Compatibility tweaks are common across a large variety of software applications.  With the experience you have (I went ahead and looked you up.  You’re experience is substantially more than my own) I know you are aware of this.  You have to be.

For you to call this a “hack” still feels incredibly disingenuous to me at best, downright dishonest at worst.  And we’ll have to agree to disagree about Intel here.  I’m not really a fan of any tech company as they have all done some pretty scummy things in the past.  Saying Intel gives better and longer coverage than almost every other company out there is simply an opinion and honestly I don’t have a stance on this.  I don’t have the knowledge to have an opinion here other than to say that honestly if any company is to blame here it’d be Microsoft.  And that’s a stretch.  I don’t think anyone is to blame for hardware becoming obsolete but that doesn’t mean it isn’t usable.  E-waste is a real problem.

But I stand by what I said.  I think you’re wrong to say that updating hardware is the only option (admittedly this is both our own personal opinions) but you’re objectively wrong that this hardware doesn’t support OpenGL 3.0.  It does, the software does not.  So we’ve applied a form of software compatibility.  If you still feel I’m wrong, then I’ll agree to disagree as I’ve derailed this thread more than I should have already.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here's the most important issue. There are very good reasons why OpenGL support is built into the graphics driver. Shoving in a shim that attempts to emulate a later version of the library (presumably in terms of existing capabilities) is likely going to lead to reliability issues and undoubtedly going to lead to performance issues. When someone comes forward in 3 months or 6 months or a year complaining about the performance, are YOU, the person who is suggesting that they do this, going to be here to support them in a timely fashion? I rather doubt it.

...S

0 Kudos