Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

ICH10R Raid Question: 6 x 2 TB Sata frives in Raid 5 not showing correct Volume Size

idata
Employee

I am building a media center server and purchased a Gigabyte GA-Ep45-UD3r motherboard. I have upgraded to the most recent Bios. I have 6 2TB Western Digtial Sata drives connected to the ICH10R controller. I want to run them in a Raid 5 configuration. When settign up the drives in the Raid Configuration utility the max volume size possible is 2456.5GB. This is with all 6 disks selected for the Raid Volume. I ahve confirmed this. Does anyone know of the limitations of this chipset and the newer drives. Is there a firmware update needed? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jack

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Yes I see the typo

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I figured out a way around this with my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P system board. It was only letting me build 898GB partitions with my five 2TB drives in the BIOS, but I was able to build a 7.5TB RAID 5 partition using the Intel Matrix Storage Console. Follow these steps:

1. Turn on RAID in the BIOS. DO NOT build the RAID sets using the BIOS tool.

2. Load the latest version of Intel Matrix storage manager (64 bit - assuming you're working with a 64-bit OS given the partition size here)

3. Build your RAID 5 stripe using the tool.

0 Kudos