Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

IDSA asked to update Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver, now Windows 10 won't boot (and/or other issues)

AltoRetrato
Novice

Hi there!

SHORT VERSION: After installing the latest Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver (15.33.53.5161 - 2020-10-23) for my CPU (i7-3770), via IDSA, Windows 10 starts loading but hangs during boot on a black screen.

LONG VERSION: I have an Intel Core i7-3770 that was running with a NVidia GPU until today. The power supply died, I replaced with an old one that doesn't support the GPU and could at least boot Windows 10 using the Intel HD Graphics 4000. But then Intel® Driver & Support Assistant told me there was an update for the display driver, so I installed it and restarted. Now Windows won't finish the boot process anymore: it starts loading, shows the boot progress animation for a couple of seconds, then a black screen and it hangs there.

First I tried to downgrade the display driver via Safe Mode, but it didn't help (I tried 15.33.53.5161, 15.33.51.5146, 15.33.50.5129 and 15.33.49.5100)... then I noticed I already had downloaded (and probably installed) the latest version (15.33.53.5161) a long time before...

Finally, I uninstalled the driver in Safe Mode, and after restarting Windows booted up again! Just to be sure, I restarted one more time (without installing/uninstalling anything)... and it hanged again! 🤦

Once again, I entered Safe Mode, uninstalled the display driver, restarted and Windows seemed to load again, but this time it hangs right after displaying the desktop.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can solve this problem?

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AltoRetrato
Novice

FWIW, my temporary "solution" was to start Windows in Safe Mode and uninstall the HD Graphics 4000 drivers, removing them. After doing this about 3 times, Windows ended up using the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Performance was awful, but it was stable.

I bought a new PSU and reinstalled my NVidia GPU, so everything is fine now. 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Restore from a system restore point

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5#bkmk_restore_from_system_restore_point

Otherwise find an option in mainboard BIOS, where you can select sth. like "iGPU only"

0 Kudos
AltoRetrato
Novice

Thanks for the tips! But I have only one restore point (that already contains the new driver), and I had already changed the BIOS setting from "Auto" to "IGFX" (which didn't seem to affect the issue at all).

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello AltoRetrato,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.  

Discontinued Products: 

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
AltoRetrato
Novice

FWIW, my temporary "solution" was to start Windows in Safe Mode and uninstall the HD Graphics 4000 drivers, removing them. After doing this about 3 times, Windows ended up using the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Performance was awful, but it was stable.

I bought a new PSU and reinstalled my NVidia GPU, so everything is fine now. 🙂

0 Kudos